House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Barclay Card Cashback Clearly Want Me Gone

I've had a cashback card for a large number of years, but Barclay card have wrote to me now and told me that I will now get the following faboulus benefits:

0.25% on spend of upto £200

0.35% on spend between £200 and £1500

1% on spend over £1500

Each month.

Looks like the bad debts are catching up with Barclay card or they don't want people who pay up every month like me, so I'm going to have to ditch this plastic and find a new card.

Anyone use American Express?

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/platinum-cashback-credit-card/

Considering this one but I've never had an American Express card before always been a visa or mastercard.

The other one is to get the Tesco Mastercard with tesco points.

Yep I have the Tesco Mastercard, myself and the missus use it like debit card (pay it off same day via online banking) and buy EVERYTHING on it for the clubcard points. Have racked up quite a few and enjoyed free meals and days out over the last year :)

I've had a cashback card for a large number of years, but Barclay card have wrote to me now and told me that I will now get the following faboulus benefits:

1% on spend over £1500

Each month.

Looks like the bad debts are catching up with Barclay card or they don't want people who pay up every month like me, so I'm going to have to ditch this plastic and find a new card.

Considering this one but I've never had an American Express card before always been a visa or mastercard.

I have an AMEX business card but you need to watch out as not everyone takes it (unlike Visa/Mastercard) due to the higher merchandise fees.

I have an AMEX business card but you need to watch out as not everyone takes it (unlike Visa/Mastercard) due to the higher merchandise fees.

Ditto, with Amex Blue Card. Card itself is rather cool, in my opinion, in clear plastic. Main advantage is cash back of 1%.

I got the same letter, think I might just use debit card except for things I want purchase protection on. Give the credit card companies nothing.

I have an american express, but with a fair few places not taking it, its not very convenient.

I seem to remember I also had cashback with barclaycard, but they stopped it for me ages ago, without me noticing somehow.

This is what banks do, and what they always have done. I think it's referred to as "bait and switch".

I wouldn't read too much into it about bad debts (which undoubtedly are high at the moment).

Egg money do 1% cashback upto £20,000 of spending. Also MBNA Virgin Money give you airmiles for spending,

which equates to about the same. So if you can somehow turnover £50,000 on the card you would probably

have enough for a return flight to somewhere nice.

One money saving idea I had was to use the card to buy flights with another airline, so you build up

air miles with them, and airmiles with virgin due to spending on the card.

I got this too. Looks like all the other cashback cards either charge an annual fee, or for payment protection insurance or some other way of clawing it back.

I think i might start paying in cash again, most small retaillers used to do a cash discount. ****** the credit card companies.

Guest happy?

1% on spend over £1500

Each month.

http://www.americane...ck-credit-card/

You may want to check whether it's a credit card or a charge-card as there's a very large difference between the two - especially with regard to your rights under the consumer credit act.

Back in the day when I worked in the county courts Amex only used one form of debt collection - bankruptcy.

You'll also find that charge-cards are accepted in many fewer places than credit cards. I know that they used to charge retailers as much as 7% commission per transaction - consequently it was only hotels/catering/high-end businesses that would accept them - the former mostly did so as at the time they were over a barrel as Amex and Diners worked hard to get business customers i.e. corporate charge cards.

Not just due to higher fees. If you're a small merchant, you're likely to be at the mercy of what a provider offers in a low-cost package. Hence, my company accepts visa/mastercard/maestro/delta/etc but not AMEX.

Interesting. Perhaps one to sign up for ahead of going to visit the brother and sister-in-law in NZ, if I get around to it this coming winter. 5% off some long-distance travel ... and maybe take the opportunity to beat-the-vat-rise with a new toy or two between booking and going ...

Currently I have a teensy weensy little cashback on a Nationwide visa card.

You are a bad customer. You cost them money every month.

I'm supprised they've kept you on so long.

Warning about Amex - if you pay with it, don't expect anyone to offer you any discounts... ever.