House Price Crash Forum
Bob Loblaw

Government Reconsidering Plans To Impose Immigration Cap

http://www.guardian....ation-cap-plans

The coalition government is rethinking plans to introduce an immigration cap – a flagship Conservative policy during the election campaign – amid fears that it could damage the economy, it was reported today.

The home secretary, Theresa May, will begin consultation with businesses on the policy next week.

Business leaders have warned that an immigration cap could make businesses less competitive and are hoping for a change of mind.

The Financial Times reported that the education secretary, Michael Gove, and the universities secretary, David Willetts, are among cabinet members who have warned that a rigid cap could prove harmful to the City.

A Home Office spokesman said: "It's not news that we will have a consultation before an annual limit is set. The home secretary will announce details shortly.

This comes a day after:

Immigrant baby boom

It said that 45 per cent of last year's population rise was brought about by immigration and 55 per cent by ' natural increase' – the greater number of births than deaths.

The ONS believes that continuing high levels of immigration means the population will hit the politically-sensitive 70million level in 2029.

Ministers repeated yesterday their promise to slash the number of immigrants.

Immigration Minister Damian Green said: 'We believe immigration has been far too high in recent years, which is why the Government will reduce net migration back down to the levels of the 1990s – to tens of thousands rather than hundreds of thousands.

'Over the coming weeks and months the public will see us tackle this issue by introducing a wide range of measures.'

So one by one the policies are falling. There is now little point in believing anything politicians have to say as they seem to now brazenly lie and deceive in order to gain power.

As a country we have a dwindling number of taxpayers who are funding a growing number of dependants. It is madness and cannot be sustained. Allowing a greater influx of immigrants into the country at a time when Government budgets are being slashed by 25% is a recipe for disaster, especially when immigration is welcomed by business as a way of keeping wages down.

The problem is that the OBR have said that capping immigration costs money. This office was set up to give the facts without political spin or bias. The need for more young people as per the report in the Guardian (and in the Financial Times) is correct. The item in the Mail however is just to play to the racism and bigotry of its readership.

The government will not cap immigration. Nor should it.

Being tough on immigration was a major vote winner for the Tories and given massive Daily Mail support.

Shedding such a major promise so soon shows them for the duplicitous, metropolitan elite we always knew. At least they will keep their supply of cheap home help.

So one by one the policies are falling. There is now little point in believing anything politicians have to say as they seem to now brazenly lie and deceive in order to gain power.

No surprise really. I think many people got whipped up into frenzy around the election thinking this new govt would in some way stick to its promises. Nothing ever changes.

What they meant to say was that they want to cap legal immigration as they have no control over illegal immigration. Which do you think is the greater? Can we possibly know?

The problem is that the OBR have said that capping immigration costs money. This office was set up to give the facts without political spin or bias. The need for more young people as per the report in the Guardian (and in the Financial Times) is correct. The item in the Mail however is just to play to the racism and bigotry of its readership.

The government will not cap immigration. Nor should it.

There is no mention in the Guardian article at all that the UK 'needs more young people'. Can you point out where it says that in the Guardian article?

We currently have some 900,000 NEETs. Motivating (or forcing) these into gainful employment and training would be far better that importing people in. If we have skills gaps then these should be filled by improving education, not relying on other countries to train their young people up only to have them abandon their homelands and come here. It is doing both countries a disservice.

I wonder which government minister the Indian outsourcers are sponsoring now that Patricia Hewitt has moved on to pastures new <_< ICT Visa's going plenty cheap :lol:

It really looks like they are not going to let HPC happen in London then <_<

Edited by skomer

Being tough on immigration was a major vote winner for the Tories and given massive Daily Mail support.

Shedding such a major promise so soon shows them for the duplicitous, metropolitan elite we always knew. At least they will keep their supply of cheap home help.

I am finding myself growing increasingly hostile to this government and in such a short space of time.

1. Cave in to the HPI-BTL lobby on CGT

2. Cave in to the HPI-BTL lobby on immigration (must keep increasing population to keep prices and rent high).

3. Cave in to the HPI-BTL lobby on IR to further damage savings to keep the HPI ponzi from stalling.

Roll on next GE when we might all vote for the fringies like UKIP or the Tea Party grass roots movement that has yet to be formed in this country. Only we would have to call it something different--but the same idea.

There is no mention in the Guardian article at all that the UK 'needs more young people'. Can you point out where it says that in the Guardian article?

OK to be fair I didn't read the Guardian article - just the FT one. The need is for more young taxpayers to cover the costs of the ageing population - the FT also points out that the skills crisis will need to be met by people coming into the country.

I also agree that improving education would be a great advantage. Sadly Blair was a liar and his priority of education was felonious as he cut the funding for further and higher education forcing people to borrow money to go to college/uni and then graduate in debt. The present idiots wish to make that situation worse.

It will take a long time to turn the UK mentality round and move from the entitlement and greed culture where everyone wants it all but doesn't want to pay for it, to a situation where people can see that education and industriousness work. The last 15 years of booming house prices have meant that even the well educated and well paid workers have earned much less than their house. Why on earth would young Brits want to work - they just want to get rich off of property. At least the foreigners arriving from abroad don't have that mindset.

I look forward to falling house prices that make it once again worth working. I however fear a big drop (or crash if you like) that will screw the country for decades.

Roll on next GE...

If I were a betting man I would say a huge majority for the reformed Labour party. God help us if the Blairites win the leadership race....

What will damage the city is when everyone in the UK starts to vote BNP...and they will.

P.S. edited to make this bold and big...they really should take notice of this...i voted UKIP in the european elections but couldnt bring myself to vote BNP...this time.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

If I were a betting man I would say a huge majority for the reformed Labour party. God help us if the Blairites win the leadership race....

My dad said much the same about William Hague to win the 2001 GE. Hard lessons about grass-roots party-politics will be re-learned. Labour cannot win on a traditional labour ticket.

Roll on next GE when we might all vote for the fringies like UKIP or the Tea Party grass roots movement that has yet to be formed in this country. Only we would have to call it something different--but the same idea.

Normally agree with you on most things, but I suspect any Tory Tea Party movement would be led by the Redwood-Davis BTL faction who of course are the very Homeownerist-BTL cheerleaders mentioned earlier in your post.

What will damage the city is when everyone in the UK starts to vote BNP...and they will...

No they will not.

My friend voted for the first time in his life this last election (he's 45). Like most people he has zero interest in politics. His only motivation to do this was keep these vile racist scum out of power.

My dad said much the same about William Hague to win the 2001 GE. Hard lessons about grass-roots party-politics will be re-learned. Labour cannot win on a traditional labour ticket.

Yeah they can , you just have to get rid of the middle classes first which is coming along very nicely due to their self destructive behaviour of the last few decades

Most of the immigration that have been cut back on have been young, full-time professionals whose work visas have not been renewed.

I have no problem with hard work immigrants, whether legal or not and don't think current policies are working.

The conservative cuts to benefits should stop the daily mail storeys about mass immigrants coming over here to claim a free and better life.

Yeah they can , you just have to get rid of the middle classes first which is coming along very nicely due to their self destructive behaviour of the last few decades

nah - not even most of the working classes will vote for a leftie from labour, nor a rightie from tory. The headline chav personalities are not the mainstream.

I am an immigrant living in Maidenhead. Just feel that there should be a cap though I have no idea about UK's business/economic requirements for immigrants.

Some of the side effects of increased immigration;

1. State funded other language schools. Why the **** should government pay for those schools when this is an English country. I guess votes.

2. Areas in towns/cities where a particular population is majority. Seems a bit tough to control from law and order point of view. Illegal things going on and becomes tough to catch due to unity. e.g. Wembly, Harrow and Weald regions around London.

3. Religion specific law ammendments. Again this is English country and law should be followed and changed for people coming here. Simply, you're not invited...

I am from a better off state in India and I wouldn't like people coming to my state from lower classified states (living style, behaviour everything matters). Similarly, I don't expect to be welcomed in the UK. I can only try to blend in the society and won't be surprised to see some racial discrimination.

These are only my views and can be argued/disagreed.

The Tories instinctively dislike the immigrants and would love to stop them coming in completely but they want the cheap labour

that they provide for their businesses. So they compromise they employ cheap labour in their businesses but they can afford to live

in a gated community or a country village apart from communities where the poor live.

It reminds me of victorian times when the circles that the well of mixed in, the houses, communities and streets were all well maintained and

well publicly funded but you only had to turn off your route into a side street and you would see real poverty.

So rich people could live amongst poor people but never see it.

No they will not.

My friend voted for the first time in his life this last election (he's 45). Like most people he has zero interest in politics. His only motivation to do this was keep these vile racist scum out of power.

You live in France, could you tell us about the recent resurgence of the extreme right party over there?

I think your comments are unfair and unwise. Your attitude of aggressive dismissal towards what are genuine concerns is only going to make the problem worse. You should try and understand where this fear of immigration comes from.

Some of the arguments for immigration are valid (more young people) but some arguments against immigration are also valid (heightened competition for scarce jobs and housing for example). Why don't you try and understand them before you make premature judgements and push people towards extremist parties.

I have no idea about UK's business/economic requirements for immigrants.

It is unlimited hence the problem.

The more immigrants the lower the wages and the larger the profits. And businesses are lobbying hard for it.

What!! UK politicians reneging on promises in writing in their manifestos.

Whoever heard of such a thing :lol::lol:

And as some Labour thingy person said on the TV last night - who ever votes to have their allowances removed.

"Vote for change" :lol::lol:

And whose signature is that on the tory manifesto.

Edited by billybong

No they will not.

They are only vile racist scum because the media tell you that.

If people keep being threatened by immigrants. Poverty increases. Mass unemplyment. They will vote en masse.

I would never have considered voting for them 2 years ago....i'm at breaking point though, the political classes have got it wrong by a looooong way and im not alone in thinking feeling this. If they dont sort it out then my vote will be going somewhere else.

P.S. you just need to see how much contempt Brown should for that nice old lady when she complained about immigration...they want immigration to keep the bubble going...we dont want it because we want a nice country that our forfathers have fought and worked hard for.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

nah - not even most of the working classes will vote for a leftie from labour, nor a rightie from tory. The headline chav personalities are not the mainstream.

I imagine Most of the working class will vote for Real Labour once they realise they arent middle class and cant aspire to that life. Chavs are nothing to do with it. If the schroedingers middle class fall, Real Labour or something worse will be unavoidable, the country will be begging for the hard left

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka