House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

World Cup 2010: England Fans Lose Their Reputation For Violence

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/24/world-cup-2010-england-fans-lose-reputation-violence

The players made the country sweat on the pitch. But off it the 2010 World Cup has succeeded in rehabilitating the reputation of England's travelling support, according to British police in South Africa.

In the wake of England's qualification for the second round, they said today that there had been no football-related arrests in South Africa at all – save for the fan who confronted David Beckham in the dressing room following the draw in Cape Town, who will appear in court again tomorrow.

"It's absolutely unheard of. There has been nothing untoward at all. The English fans have been ambassadors for their country. We're delighted," said Andy Holt, the assistant chief constable in charge of a group of 12 British police officers liaising with South African colleagues.

He said the stereotype of the travelling England fan as a beer-swilling, tattooed oaf with a penchant for hurling plastic furniture had been consigned to history, with measures taken in the last 10 years to ban known hooligans and a shift in demographics boosting the number of families, women and children following the team.

"This hasn't happened by accident. There has been a cultural shift around England support," said Holt.

"What we're seeing is that those that pose a risk of disorder are kept at home through the imposition of football banning orders," he added, referring to the 3,143 people banned from travelling for the duration of the tournament.

So no arrests for hooliganism.

What are our hardened hooligans doing, normally they are fighting anyone. Have they shat themselves over fighting a police force that won't be disciplined enough to play fair and will simply shoot them?

Or is it the fact that if they start fighting with the South Africans a number of them may find themselves with local justice of being put in a few tyres and becoming a bonfire?

Seems the tough guys really aren't that tough.

However a world cup with no trouble is better for everyone.

I think they were all in my local the other night.

It's the only thing I hate about winning. It brings out the bad in people who can't handle 3 pints of lager.

Have they shat themselves over fighting a police force that won't be disciplined enough to play fair and will simply shoot them?

Got it in one. Same thing happend in Japan/S. Korea. Prior to it they simply stated anyone charged with football violence would spend the next 10 years in a top security prison. Funnily enough none o fhte tough guys bothered to get into any paggers.

South Africa - they just realise they may get shot in the face if they give it to a copper down there. They may be stupid but they're not that dumb.

Go to an average bar, restaurant or club in Joburg. Talk to someone's missus will guarantee you a fight with a local. The locals fight for barely anything in S.A. Also with the amount of biltong consumed by an average South African, they wouldn't last two seconds in a fight. Best they behave. It's not unknown for the average boy in South Africa to have been in 10 fights by the end of A levels and no, we're not talking about name calling here.

Violent place.

Go to an average bar, restaurant or club in Joburg. Talk to someone's missus will guarantee you a fight with a local. The locals fight for barely anything in S.A. Also with the amount of biltong consumed by an average South African, they wouldn't last two seconds in a fight. Best they behave. It's not unknown for the average boy in South Africa to have been in 10 fights by the end of A levels and no, we're not talking about name calling here.

Violent place.

Yep, I think a combination of hard-as-nails locals, police who don't mess about and expensive long-haul flights is the secret formula to a violence free tournament as far as England fans are concerned. Next World Cup in Iraq and Pakistan?

Jeremy Hunt the Culture and Sport Minister has got into trouble by mentioning Hillsborough in the context of an absence of English football hooliganism at this World Cup. I don't see what the problem is. The relatives are very upset he implied that violence had anything to do with the deaths of innocent fans. I don't think he was doing that but Jeremy Hunt has apologised anyway. Perhaps he thought it would be a better option than reminding them that their loved ones were crushed to death against steel fences designed to pen in the crowd. We often overlook how lucky we are these days that going to a football match is no long a potentially life-threatening hobby.

Seems like quite a few were in Leicester Square burning German flags as well as being monumentally manly by squaring up to a lone German fan for a 400 to 1 face off.

What heroes.. <_<

Loving how the bouncers in Bloem(fontein) handled the fan looking for a fight. He never expected that it would end with a bouncer. Moron's like this need swift justice. (I sound like I'm baying for blood but there really is no need, it's only a game, perhaps they should attack the English Team and not supporters of the opposing side.)

Guest anorthosite

Seems like quite a few were in Leicester Square burning German flags as well as being monumentally manly by squaring up to a lone German fan for a 400 to 1 face off.

What heroes.. <_<

I wonder where bulltrader was when this was happening? B)

"He said the stereotype of the travelling England fan as a beer-swilling, tattooed oaf with a penchant for hurling plastic furniture had been consigned to history.."

We aren't going to take that lying down, are we?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/24/world-cup-2010-england-fans-lose-reputation-violence

So no arrests for hooliganism.

What are our hardened hooligans doing, normally they are fighting anyone. Have they shat themselves over fighting a police force that won't be disciplined enough to play fair and will simply shoot them?

Or is it the fact that if they start fighting with the South Africans a number of them may find themselves with local justice of being put in a few tyres and becoming a bonfire?

Seems the tough guys really aren't that tough.

However a world cup with no trouble is better for everyone.

On both points I think you are correct. Football hooligans (like any bully) are essentially cowards who pick on the defensless. They are far to lightweight to take on the SA police force who, as you rightly point out, will massacre them without much of a second thought. A friend of a friend is an ex-SA police officer (back in the days of apartheid, granted) and they used to shoot people for fun, apparently. Having said that, they were basically conditioned into this way of life by virtue of being exposed to sections of society which had absolutely no respect for human life day-in-day-out. Which, nicely brings in your second point that the locals would simply burn them to death with an old tyre and some petrol.

Which, nicely brings in your second point that the locals would simply burn them to death with an old tyre and some petrol.

It's known as necklacing. Savage way to die and use to happen far too frequently.

Jeremy Hunt the Culture and Sport Minister has got into trouble by mentioning Hillsborough in the context of an absence of English football hooliganism at this World Cup. I don't see what the problem is. The relatives are very upset he implied that violence had anything to do with the deaths of innocent fans. I don't think he was doing that but Jeremy Hunt has apologised anyway. Perhaps he thought it would be a better option than reminding them that their loved ones were crushed to death against steel fences designed to pen in the crowd. We often overlook how lucky we are these days that going to a football match is no long a potentially life-threatening hobby.

Of course it was nothing to do with those wonderful scally scouse fans.

It's just a mere coincidence that the two biggest footballing tragedies in recent times both involved Liverpool fans.

Guest X-QUORK

So, in summary, SA is a pretty brutal country. I don't think I'll bother visiting.

It's just a mere coincidence that the two biggest footballing tragedies in recent times both involved Liverpool fans.

The Bradford fans get away lightly too. Also, Londoners are often thugs and sure enough were too lazy to put out a fire and hence burned alive. The Jews often get persecuted and it is always everyone else's fault.

It is a coincidence but it is a poetic coincidence. Something befitting one of Shakespeare's darkest tragedies.

I have the utmost sympathy for both the victims of Hillsborough and the victims of Heysel. All these poor, innocent fans were killed - directly or indirectly - by the mindless hooliganism that once blighted English football.

Guest anorthosite

It is a coincidence but it is a poetic coincidence. Something befitting one of Shakespeare's darkest tragedies.

I have the utmost sympathy for both the victims of Hillsborough and the victims of Heysel. All these poor, innocent fans were killed - directly or indirectly - by the mindless hooliganism that once blighted English football.

How times have changed. The fans behave themselves, but as for the players...