House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Small Pc - Any Reccomendations?

Moving into a slave box...I mean apartment, soon and want it to be as uncluttered as possible - looking to get a small PC to use for things like Spotify ect...may just end up running it through my TV as a kind of media centre.

After a brief look it seems my options for computers which are physically small are the Dell Studio Hybrid and the Acer Revo's - anyone have any experience of either of these or any other reccomendations of what to go for?

As I said it's mainly to use for a media centre - the idea is to be able to sit and play music from Spotfiy's massive music collection through my sound system.

Moving into a slave box...I mean apartment, soon and want it to be as uncluttered as possible - looking to get a small PC to use for things like Spotify ect...may just end up running it through my TV as a kind of media centre.

After a brief look it seems my options for computers which are physically small are the Dell Studio Hybrid and the Acer Revo's - anyone have any experience of either of these or any other reccomendations of what to go for?

As I said it's mainly to use for a media centre - the idea is to be able to sit and play music from Spotfiy's massive music collection through my sound system.

I've been looking at an Eee PC recently..they could do the trick..

I've got an the cheapest (£145) Acer Revo available running as media centre thanks to xbmc, all remote driven (but the iphone/ipod app is very nice). It's connected to 2 external USB disks for storage space, is on 24x7 and uses about 20w. XMBC supports hardware video acceleration for play back so 1080p rips look nice and interface is sweet. Have a look at youtube for xbmc revo.

I've installed transmission-deamon for torrent downloads and sabnzbd for newsgroup etc (both web driven). Used to use it for iplayer but the BBC did something to block the plugin, but there is a hacked one available.

If I was buying now I would get the £169 dual core version, 2GB, additional optical output version available ebuyer.com. As it's powerfully enough to run windows, so easier flash HW acceleration, native iplayer, spotify clients etc and benefits from a few hardware upgrades of the single core. The extra ram helps the high res fan interface plus the latest build of xbmc for windows have DXVA enabled.

Running XBMC it's one of my best purchases as it's now an appliance; it does it's job very very well - sort of Apple 'it just works'

I believe the EeePc is basically the same hardware (atom+ion) in a difference case.

I've got an the cheapest (£145) Acer Revo available running as media centre thanks to xbmc, all remote driven (but the iphone/ipod app is very nice). It's connected to 2 external USB disks for storage space, is on 24x7 and uses about 20w. XMBC supports hardware video acceleration for play back so 1080p rips look nice and interface is sweet. Have a look at youtube for xbmc revo.

I've installed transmission-deamon for torrent downloads and sabnzbd for newsgroup etc (both web driven). Used to use it for iplayer but the BBC did something to block the plugin, but there is a hacked one available.

If I was buying now I would get the £169 dual core version, 2GB, additional optical output version available ebuyer.com. As it's powerfully enough to run windows, so easier flash HW acceleration, native iplayer, spotify clients etc and benefits from a few hardware upgrades of the single core. The extra ram helps the high res fan interface plus the latest build of xbmc for windows have DXVA enabled.

Running XBMC it's one of my best purchases as it's now an appliance; it does it's job very very well - sort of Apple 'it just works'

I believe the EeePc is basically the same hardware (atom+ion) in a difference case.

I don't really know enough about Linux to comment further, but apparently Spotify runs in "Wine"...I suspect someone on here can elaborate further if necessary.. http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/wine/

If you have a premium spotify account then is seems there is a plugin available.

I don't really know enough about Linux to comment further, but apparently Spotify runs in "Wine"...I suspect someone on here can elaborate further if necessary.. http://www.spotify.c.../help/faq/wine/

Yup Spotify works a treat under Wine on Ubuntu. Listening to Nine Inch Nails now!

Yup Spotify works a treat under Wine on Ubuntu. Listening to Nine Inch Nails now!

Hmm...interesting...Is Wine for mainly lightweight windows apps, or can it support something a bit more substantial?

Hmm...interesting...Is Wine for mainly lightweight windows apps, or can it support something a bit more substantial?

Can be a bit hit and miss but bear in mind Wine can run stuff like Office etc..I also recommend a script called Winetricks too...http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricksBy the way I'm running Ubuntu on an Acer Netbook ZG8 with a 10.1 " screen. Amazing what I get done on it, so would be one of my recommendations for a small machine..

If playing music is all you want to do on it, spotify runs on mobile phones, get a 2nd hand phone or pda with a wifi connection and save yourself the electricity bill of running a computer...

If playing music is all you want to do on it, spotify runs on mobile phones, get a 2nd hand phone or pda with a wifi connection and save yourself the electricity bill of running a computer...

Although isn't there a subscription cost of £10 a month to run it on a PDA / Mobile?

I'm not sure you need a TV actually, I hardly use mine now as I watch / record a lot thru the computer now. For example this little Acer of mine has an external VGA socket so could plug into an LCD monitor. All you need is a USB DVB Tuner to make it a fully fledged TV media device, record TV etc. some USB DVB devices come with two tuners now. HD versions are becoming available. On my main PC a Dell Inspiron I confess to using Windows Media Centre but might give this XBMC a try on one of my netbooks (or there is Myth TV).Edited to add. I've not tried HD performance on the netbook (might be pushing it a bit) but I gather its OK on the Acer Revo's

Get a Mac Mini..... honestly, give it a look.... PC mag raves over it..... not just us FanBoys!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365162,00.asp

I got a revo from ebuyer a while back. If you have a big telly but dont use the vesa mount, you can just screw it to the back of the telly.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182588

Ive got the less powerful one that doesnt seem to be on sale any more, but it more than does its job!

FWIW, I've had an Acer Revo since December (it was a beat-the-VAT-rise purchase). Running Linux as a desktop 'puter. Nice little thing! And (proof of the pudding) it's getting used a lot more than the far bigger and more powerful box supplied by my employer, both for work and other things.

Get a Mac Mini..... honestly, give it a look.... PC mag raves over it..... not just us FanBoys!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365162,00.asp

For a HTPC I wouldn't get the mini. As a mac user (Hackintosh, Macbook, Time capsule) it's a great little machine if you need a SFF desktop but:

1. IMO it's too expensive to be a dedicated HTPC.

2. Community support isn't anywhere near the size of Linux/XBMC or Windows media Centre/xbmc/frontend of choice.

Sometimes staying with the group makes things easy as someone else will have had the same issues. with the Mac you are more much more likely to run in the unsolvable problems, (refresh rates not syncing with movies etc). For the cheap common hardware there are guides and even tweaked ISO's for the atom+ion (Revo etc) machines. Check AVfroums, and the XBMC forums, and lifehacker article that brought it too the masses.

A note regarding media; I rip everything to digital using my other machines and store it on the external HDDs, including Blu-ray. If you want an easy life don't attempt to play Blu-ray discs in any HTPC, Just rip (anydvd-hd) or get a stand alone player it saves a lot of hassle.