House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest mmm....beer

The World Cup To Cause A Massive Spike In Hiv Infection Rates?

People look down on me for having had HIV tests. I actually had one the other day, I was at the hospital for a smear test and figured that while my lady bits were being poked at I may as well go upstairs to the GUM clinic for a check up. And we're never going to get anywhere with STDs until going to the GUM clinic for a check up is as normal as going for a smear test - they should do it all in the same appointment. If you got a letter every year or two telling you to come to the GUM clinic for a check up then I reckon people would think about STDs an awful lot more.

Full marks for responsible behaviour.

I haven't been to the World Cup.... :unsure:

A ticking time bomb imho, a few of the lads I know who have gone to the world cup have a somewhat laissez faire attitude to safe sex to put it politely. Being thousands of miles away from home, intoxicated, in a hot climate and randy I expect most of them will sleep with a prostitute in South Africa. The thought of thousands of fans banging a brass bareback then returning to England to bang the local bike bareback. :ph34r:

Guest Noodle

I can't find the report now, but between 2001-2006, 74% of all new British male HIV cases were contracted abroad, 29% of those traced back to Thailand.

Southern Africa's HIV rate is the stuff of armageddon.

Here we have a second wave. It's not being dealt with. Shame because these people were the big success story on HIV control in the late 90's. This country would likely no longer exist had the then PM of the time not made it a personal mission to sort it out.

I've lost friends here to AIDS. Had another funeral two weeks ago in the village.

Guest Noodle

This is why when you go for a HIV test they ask you if you've slept with anyone foreign. If you're a woman they also ask you if you've had sex with a man who has had sex with a man - I find that one amusing since what man would actually tell you that?

So Thailand has gone all South African with how they are dealing with the problem? Fingers in ears going "la la la la la la la"?

Been like it for years here.

Westerners are educated on the Sub-type B strain, principal routes of infection/risk groups being gay sex and intravenous drug users sharing needles. Risk of a man contracting Sub-type B is possible, but relatively low through normal unprotected sex.

Sub-type E is completely different, common to SE Asia and far more virulent. 80% of infection is heterosexual, primarily due to increased replication in Langerhans' cells, which are located in the vaginal mucosa.

Contrary to popular belief, subtype E does NOT require blood-to-blood contact to transmit itself. Subtype E attacks the Langerhans cells (LC) exceptionally well, particularly those located on the ***** foreskin and in genital mucosa, with HIV subtype E infecting and reproducing itself multiple times more quickly than other strains of HIV. Subtype B prevalent in the US and Europe doesn't seem to have ever had (or possibly lost) the same viral sequences as subtype E for transmission this way.

Thailand is not well run at the moment. This will likely be it's undoing.

Guest Noodle

This is more likely to be a new ability acquired by subtype e rather than one that was lost by the other subtypes since it represents a major selective advantage for the virus. I'm finding it difficult to actually find a paper about subtype e though.

A UK guy I know in Phnom Penh was married for 5 years to a Thai woman with HIV, he had no idea. He never caught it. Some people seem to be bullet proof and should really go to one of the AIDS charities and see whether they can help in the fight against it.

It's the transmission route which is the real killer with Sub-type E.

Guest Noodle

How can it not require blood to blood contact?

It gets absorbed through the foreskin? WTF?

Yes.

How can it not require blood to blood contact?

It gets absorbed through the foreskin? WTF?

The foreskin has an important immunological function. It absorbs viruses so as to recognise them and prime the immune system. However, this is just the entry into the body that HIV requires.

Guest Noodle

Ah, I see what's happened. Subtype E is actually referred to as CRF01_AE because it's a recombinant virus with subtype A (nobody has actually found a pure version of subtype E so it must have been pretty uninfective before it recombined with A). One of the really annoying aspects of retrovirology is they keep renaming and reclassifying things so you can end up with one virus having had three different names and a couple of different classifications so you can end up thinking that the same virus are a few different viruses when you read about them in journals.

Perhaps something to sort out.

If it is in anyway reassuring - I have several friends over there at the moment, and they have told me they have been handed in their words 'shit scary' leaflets about the very issue you worry about.

I'm not that confident it will make a massive difference.

Guest Noodle

He's probably one of the lucky few who is homozygous for a deletion in the CCR5 gene which is one of the cellular receptors necessary for HIV infection. The allele frequency is about 10% in north west Europeans which means that about 1% of Brits and Irish will have two copies which will basically make them immune to HIV infection. The people with one allele will be less likely to catch it but not immune to it.

I read that a small fraction of Europeans don't catch Sub-type E through this transmission route. Trouble is, the chap I mentioned tells people because he didn't get it, it's a gay or drug user disease which we know not to be the case, certainly here.

Anyway, onto the predominant African strain, Sub-Type A I believe. mmm...beer, have a run down of details?

Guest Noodle

It's misinformation like this that kills people. Point out to him that everyone he tells that you can't get HIV from heterosexual sex who then goes on to get HIV from heterosexual sex is on his hands. I don't know if I have the emotional strength to look into exactly how nasty the subtype in South Africa is - I'll have a look though. Why didn't they pick somewhere where HIV2 is the predominant type of HIV?

Most of these people are too thick to understand any of this and will go blank within the first 3 seconds.

Guest Noodle

I've decided to draft an email to the Secretary for Health. Anyone care to help me out with the content?

I'm a bit poorly still and need to go to sleep now.

May I be the devils advocate here...:ph34r:

Tell me if I am wrong but......most hetero guys get HIV from their birds and not from some random bird on a one night stand.

The chances of a bloke getting HIV from a random bang with a prostitute ? Are they not tiny, in fact miniscule ? Again correct me if I am wrong but I don't think so.

Of course people should be careful, then again people should not get into a car as it is dangerous too. Guys bang birds without a condom because of one simple reason - they know the chances of getting any serious disease as a consequence is close to zero.

Again - not something you will see advertised on Channel 4. However it is the truth. Unless I am told otherwise...

A UK guy I know in Phnom Penh was married for 5 years to a Thai woman with HIV, he had no idea. He never caught it. Some people seem to be bullet proof and should really go to one of the AIDS charities and see whether they can help in the fight against it.

It's the transmission route which is the real killer with Sub-type E.

I was always under the impression that it was actually rather unlikely that a man would get it off a woman - assuming that he didn't stick it up her ****, that is.

There will be at least a few hundred coming back from SA with HIV - and they'll be just the type who loves to throw it around a lot. That sort of injection of new virus into the country will lead to thousands upon thousands of people being infected.

Really ? Unless I have missed somthing I would doubt it. Contrary to popular belief - even drunken football fans will usually use a condom with a SA prostitute..:rolleyes:

And the few that do not ? Chances of actually getting HIV from a one off session - even if the girl has HIV ? Slim to none say the least.

Again I am no expert on this - so I am prepared to be corrected.

I've decided to draft an email to the Secretary for Health. Anyone care to help me out with the content?

The contribution by me to an email to most UK politicans would mostly be starred out. Sorry.

And this is exactly why we need another public health campaign on the subject. Men are just under the impression that it's next to impossible to catch it from a woman.

No.....

Men are under the impression that it is very very difficult to catch it from a woman. So tell us all - is that theory correct or false ? From a lot of blokes I know I am pretty sure it is correct..:rolleyes:

It takes you off the banned list if that helps?

Best offer I've had in yonks!

Well, closest thing to an offer anyway.

And this is exactly why we need another public health campaign on the subject. Men are just under the impression that it's next to impossible to catch it from a woman.

I'd never have said that "next to impossible" was the case just rather unlikely. What are the chances, do you know?

GUM doc told me that 1% of population in Lambeth is estimated to be HIV+, that's close on 3,000 people in one relatively small part of London. I guess it's going to be spreading with or without the worldcup. Also, seems like every young person I meet these days has been to Thailand and it seems that most of the young men had a night with a "bar girl", who are often not asking for money up front but are sleeping with many, many guys for favours and the hope they will send them money if they stay in touch. GUM doc told me he sees many people who have caught herpes in Thailand, that's a pretty harmless infection though.

I wasn't aware of these different sub-types. I have read about stats where African tribes who practise circumcision have lower infection rates, presumably this is to do with the receptors in the foreskin you're talking about?