House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

The Highbrow Thread

The Off Topic forum was relegated to the bottom of the list due to the nature of some rather unseemly threads so I am starting a thread for people to post their classier thoughts. Have you heard anyone say anything very clever recently? Perhaps you've been to the opera and it simply divine. If enough effort is invested into this thread, then Off Topic may start to rise again like a phoenix from the flames. Who knows, perhaps it might even overtake Market Psychology one day. Eventually, Off Topic could even eclipse House Prices And The Economy.

I'll start the ball rolling. My two children are very polite, especially in the company of adults. People often remark on just how polite they are.

So go on then moderators, move the forum up a place, you ***** bunch of *****s.

The Off Topic forum was relegated to the bottom of the list due to the nature of some rather unseemly threads so I am starting a thread for people to post their classier thoughts. Have you heard anyone say anything very clever recently? Perhaps you've been to the opera and it simply divine. If enough effort is invested into this thread, then Off Topic may start to rise again like a phoenix from the flames. Who knows, perhaps it might even overtake Market Psychology one day. Eventually, Off Topic could even eclipse House Prices And The Economy.

I'll start the ball rolling. My two children are very polite, especially in the company of adults. People often remark on just how polite they are.

So go on then moderators, move the forum up a place, you ***** bunch of *****s.

How refreshing to hear of polite children. I am proud to say that my son and nieces are likewise very polite, with beautiful manners.

Oh, you have polite children.

How middlebrow.

Ah but I also know some quite big words and occasionally play chess.

I've listened to Desert Island discs twice this year.

It's more an indication of my age I suppose, but it was Morrissey and Frank Skinner. Not sure that's a good reason now. :o

I think the majority children are polite except when interacting with their parents. It's a tiny minority at the extreme who give the rest a bad name. Also, I think children are, except for that tiny minority again, much nicer than they were 30 or 40 years ago. Some things really do get better over time.

I think the majority children are polite except when interacting with their parents. It's a tiny minority at the extreme who give the rest a bad name. Also, I think children are, except for that tiny minority again, much nicer than they were 30 or 40 years ago. Some things really do get better over time.

That's the kind of beautiful thought that doesn't deserve to be hidden away at the bottom of the forum list.

I'm drinking tea at moment from a Royal Worcester cup and saucer. My little finger is fully extended.

I'm drinking tea at moment from a Royal Worcester cup and saucer. My little finger is fully extended.

:)

All is well with the world.

Sometimes things don't go, after all,

from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel

faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail.

Sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war,

elect an honest man, decide they care

enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.

Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best intentions do not go

amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to.

The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow

that seemed frozen; may it happen for you.

-Sheenagh Pugh

The other day I was flipping through radio stations in my car. I happened upon 'Classic FM'. Classic FM plays a vast range of both traditional and contemporary classical music - some of the most beautiful, brilliantly conducted music to have ever been composed, often by some of the greatest, most celebrated geniuses in history.

I listened for an entire cycle of the traffic lights at the end of my road. Then I turned it over - I thought it sounded shit.

I listened for an entire cycle of the traffic lights at the end of my road. Then I turned it over - I thought it sounded shit.

It does. All you ever get is bleeding chunks of famous pieces played over and over. All the context is lost and you never get to hear the pieces that came before and after in a composers career. Radio 3 is vastly superior.

Guest X-QUORK

I once complained about sharp sales practices in furniture sales rooms on a call-in radio program...

on Radio 4.

I spent a happy hour driving down the M42 a while back listening to a program on Radio 4 by a cheese enthusiast who was lamenting the fact that he was unable to import good French cheeses into Australia.

I felt slightly more cerebral as I stepped out of my car at the services and ordered the supersized Whopper meal with bacon that I dribbled down my front.

Sometimes things don't go, after all,

from bad to worse. Some years, muscadel

faces down frost; green thrives; the crops don't fail.

Sometimes a man aims high, and all goes well.

A people sometimes will step back from war,

elect an honest man, decide they care

enough, that they can't leave some stranger poor.

Some men become what they were born for.

Sometimes our best intentions do not go

amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to.

The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow

that seemed frozen; may it happen for you.

-Sheenagh Pugh

How lovely.

Guest Skinty

It does. All you ever get is bleeding chunks of famous pieces played over and over. All the context is lost and you never get to hear the pieces that came before and after in a composers career. Radio 3 is vastly superior.

Agreed. Unless Classic FM are happening to play their favourite composer (e.g. Sibelius)

Anyone think that film scores are the classical music of the future? Film has taken over from ballet. I blame Shostakovitch.

I used to find the horrible smug ads on Classic FM the worst thing - the fact that they play the classical equivalent to "Now that's what I call music" didn't bother me much.

I remember people presenting similar arguments to make themselves feel superior because they listened to the "full context" of pop albums in my yoof...

Why does music bring out snobbery in the British?

Going back to the Classic FM ads though, they remind me of the Harry Enfield "Considerably better than Yewww" character.

I once watched a televisual broadcast featuring none other than the cherubic Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstallshire and I understood almost every word and in-jokle.

And I know my claret from my Beaujolais.

Guest theboltonfury

I used to find the horrible smug ads on Classic FM the worst thing - the fact that they play the classical equivalent to "Now that's what I call music" didn't bother me much.

I remember people presenting similar arguments to make themselves feel superior because they listened to the "full context" of pop albums in my yoof...

Why does music bring out snobbery in the British?

Going back to the Classic FM ads though, they remind me of the Harry Enfield "Considerably better than Yewww" character.

In my first job I used to have very early start. My alarm radio could only pick up Classic FM, and so every morning at 6am I was awoken by the God awful tones of Henry Kelly announcing Schubert. Never a good start to the day.

I can still remember that the news was sponsored by Schroeders.

I still listen very regularly to Classic Fm - and that sadly is the truth. I like classical music.