House Price Crash Forum

Charity Reps

Guest Elephant_In_The_Room

HOLA441
Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

Tonight for the 3rd time in 18 months, I 've had a "charidee" rep round.

The procedure is always the same, a young person talks for 5-10 minutes without drawing breath about poor starving people etc.

They then ask you to donate anything from £5 to £20 a month (depending on the charity). This requires filling out a form where

you enter your debit/credit card details. "Don't worry" they say it's all legit, here is my badge.

However if you decline, you are met with "Why not?" "Don't you care" "Why not" "Why not?"

Has anybody has an experience like this?

How ironic that the rudest doorstep types that I've met have been from Charities.

HOLA442

However if you decline, you are met with "Why not?" "Don't you care" "Why not" "Why not?"

Just tell them you're skint - works for me, or tell them you've already signed up.

I think they're called chuggers and they're on commission, so they can get all righteous on you and make some money for themselves. Charity is becoming big business now - don't worry about it, they're little more than salesmen, treat them the same way and they'll bugger off, no need for a guilt trip, give as and when you see fit

HOLA443
HOLA444

Just tell them you're skint - works for me, or tell them you've already signed up.

I think they're called chuggers and they're on commission, so they can get all righteous on you and make some money for themselves. Charity is becoming big business now - don't worry about it, they're little more than salesmen, treat them the same way and they'll bugger off, no need for a guilt trip, give as and when you see fit

Chuggers bloody litter town centres..You can be accosted by one at the top of a street, and as you walk down, you're accosted by ppl of the same charity. I was told that you can complain to the local council, as they grant licenses to them. If they get enough complaints, then they can revoke their license..

They usually have a clipboard of upsetting pictures to try & provoke emotion..

HOLA445

Just don't answer the door, I never answer the door anymore unless it is a parcel which I know is coming.

Religious types chuggers, switch electricity/gas types are all very confused when they can see me and hear me through the window and I ignore them completely.

Works a treat.

Hell even if you give anything you get put on a charity suckers list, I donated money a while ago to an African appeal. I regularly get sent junk mail demanding more money.

You give even once to a big charity you go on a sucker list.

HOLA446

If a chugger tries to chug me I make a mental note of the charity using the chugger and chugging well decide not to donate to them.

Agreed much like companies who phone me and spam me, it makes me MUCH less likely to buy anything from them ever again.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Fill in the direct debit using the account details your local council asks you to pay your council tax into.

If you somehow get tracked down by the council, for doing this, tell them you thought the government said overseas aid wasn't being cut.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I went on their website and complained. In order to get rid of the guy I said the homeowner wasn't interested.

The rest of the conversation was as follows:

"and what about you" he asked.

"Me neither"

"So you don't care?"

"No"

"f*** me"

Then he muttered some other stuff and I got irate and said I'd been accosted by his types before. He then buggered off. I'm glad he did because I felt like chinning him.

The bottom line is this. I'm not giving out credit card details to some unknown oik on my doorstep. Badges and Tshirts as proof of legitimacy make no difference. I'm also a PAYG person, so no DD's for me thankyou.

HOLA4412

and can't you just bloody tell!

HOLA4413

Every week in my town centre it's a different charity wearing different coloured and branded charity t-shirts. All run by the same dodgy company (I think JK Marketing is one name used). They employ young people with promises of promotion and large amounts of money to be made - see the large thread on MSE where there are lots of disgruntled ex-employees.

Lots of these chuggers try to chat you up or compliment you in order for the gullible to think they really mean it. One tried to accost me last week and when I politely said "no thanks" I was loudly berated by "Don't you care about starving children?." I shouted back 'If you care so much why don't you send 'em the commission you earn doing this shi11y job?"

Problem is that the unemployed youngsters are promised the earth by the marketing company but are given creepy sales patter sales techniques.

HOLA4414

Every week in my town centre it's a different charity wearing different coloured and branded charity t-shirts. All run by the same dodgy company (I think JK Marketing is one name used). They employ young people with promises of promotion and large amounts of money to be made - see the large thread on MSE where there are lots of disgruntled ex-employees.

Lots of these chuggers try to chat you up or compliment you in order for the gullible to think they really mean it. One tried to accost me last week and when I politely said "no thanks" I was loudly berated by "Don't you care about starving children?." I shouted back 'If you care so much why don't you send 'em the commission you earn doing this shi11y job?"

Problem is that the unemployed youngsters are promised the earth by the marketing company but are given creepy sales patter sales techniques.

Brilliant! I usually just say "no", it lacks your sparkle.

Though the way I say it does shut them up; I have been told I am quite intimidating.

HOLA4415

In my previous town, they used to stand in an alleyway and block your path. I found this very rude.

I always gave the same answer "I'm late for my bus/train"

Works everytime

HOLA4416

£260k plus pension for Cancer Research UK.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get to the stage where they have their own version of a CIA black ops squad who make any scientist close to discovering a cure mysteriously disappear.

HOLA4417

I never answer my door,either.Get lots of chuggers in my local Somerfield/Co-op though.I usually tell them(in a loud voice)that I volunteer two afternoons a week(true)and that,unlike them,I don't get paid £9 an hour for it.

HOLA4418

And this is a big problem - it's not in the charity's interest to actually fix the problem they've been set up to help. It would be very easy for Shelter to set up a load of halfway houses but that would get a lot of the homeless of the streets and people will stop donating because they don't think there's a problem anymore.

And without the donations they won't be able to fund the halfway houses.

To most people who work in these areas (ignoring chuggers for a moment) they are there because they get tremendous job satisfaction out of helping people.

In most cases it's hypothetical as the problem will be there anyway but if, say, there were suddenly no more street-living alcoholics then the people who work with them and get a tremendous kick out of helping them to start a new life would be disappointed that their role had gone, whereas the rest of us would say "great, no more people drinking themselves to death on the streets".

HOLA4419

If you somehow get tracked down by the council, for doing this, tell them you thought the government said overseas aid wasn't being cut.

:lol:

£260k plus pension for Cancer Research UK.

Some might say that that reflects the responsibilities of the post.

I say (as already mentioned) give to small local charities instead. Your money might make more of a difference.

HOLA4420

Just had Oxfam 365 round. Patter started, I interrupted to ask if it was a direct debit thing cos I don't do them.

kthxbai was the response.

Job done.

Edit: Do chuggers need a peddlers licence from the council for door to door like this or not as they're not actually selling anything?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Just had Oxfam 365 round.

Yep, I've had them....and I previously thought better of Oxfam.

kthxbai was the response.

?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I got asked to hold a tin for a dodgy heart charity some 15 odd years ago.

Being somewhat naive/charitable I offered up my afternoon to stand in a supermarket foyer with 2 others.

No aggressive sales technique, purely passive.

I took about 80 quid in my tin. I was gob-smacked when we got back and I was given £20 out of the tin (I thought I was doing it for free).

The guy organising it then took £20 for himself from each tin.. and apparently the admin at the charity took about another £20 on top of that.

So of all the money those nice old ladies had given me thinking it had gone to a good cause, it had actually just lined mine and two other peoples pockets with only about 25p in the pound going where they thought it would.

I ended up feeling like a conman when I had been trying to do a good deed.

I don't put money in pots any more.

HOLA4425

Never give your details to a charity, unless you're happy to sign up to a lifetime of junkmail. When you choose to donate to something, keep it anonymous, or at least at a distance. There's a bunch called the charities aid foundation that can help with that, and deal with the administrivia (including important things like reclaiming tax).

Archived