House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

New Police Plan

Oh goody, more control freaks given a chance to harrass people. Our local PSCO when shes not waddling towards car dinky Skoda PCSO mobile - either parked on double yellows or right on/opposite a busy junction- can usually be found chinwagging in the co-op or postoffice about Leonardo dicaprio or Brad Pitt.

Waste of space.

Oh goody, more control freaks given a chance to harrass people. Our local PSCO when shes not waddling towards car dinky Skoda PCSO mobile - either parked on double yellows or right on/opposite a busy junction- can usually be found chinwagging in the co-op or postoffice about Leonardo dicaprio or Brad Pitt.

Waste of space.

I thought that a special constabil was a rather differnt animal from a PCSO.

This is not cost effective:

Stops good people joininng 'cos they cant work for free

Create under trained volunteers sucking good (yes some are) coppers from doing their job

Better to indenture a police trainee for 1 or 2 years (maybe 4 to prevent trainees going to Canada and Oz so quickly) and only then commiting to hiring long term to weed out the chaff

I thought that a special constabil was a rather differnt animal from a PCSO.

Yep, specials are unpaid.

PCSO are jumped up traffic wardens.

tim

Yep, specials are unpaid.

PCSO are jumped up traffic wardens.

tim

All three have different arrest powers

As I understand

PCSO Citerzern arrest, although there are local variations

Special In their county and the adjoining couny

Full Warranted Officer anywhere on HM Soil (not sure if this covers shipping)

This piece is about recruitment of police offocers and making them pay for part of their training.

They will get away with this only so long as the depression continues, whilst they have 300 applicants + for each job. Afterwards it will be back to moaning because no one wants the jobs and their pay 'was unfairly held back for years' and 'the troubles in the private sectore are not their fault'.

There are many good and hard working officers. But I am aware from inside experiences that Police forces as a whole are very wasteful of their resources. (What a surprise, I hear you all say). It is difficult for politicians to get a grip as they seem terrified to criticise anything. Unfortunately a large minority of officers are very lazy with output levels which would not be tolerated in any private business. They sometimes lack any real judgement as to what is important. But we do need them of course! Their pensions of inflation proof half pay for life after 30 years are just too generous. The average age for police officers to retire is 49! They should not be allowed to do this whilst running a force full of admin people of questionable quality. Once operations are too much for them, they should do the desk jobs to at least 65 like anyone else. The true worth of their pay packages are considerably beyond those available to someone with similar educational ability in the private sector. Some forces now pay out MORE in pensions than in current staff.

It'a all Brownism for you.

This piece is about recruitment of police offocers and making them pay for part of their training.

They will get away with this only so long as the depression continues, whilst they have 300 applicants + for each job. Afterwards it will be back to moaning because no one wants the jobs and their pay 'was unfairly held back for years' and 'the troubles in the private sectore are not their fault'.

There are many good and hard working officers. But I am aware from inside experiences that Police forces as a whole are very wasteful of their resources. (What a surprise, I hear you all say). It is difficult for politicians to get a grip as they seem terrified to criticise anything. Unfortunately a large minority of officers are very lazy with output levels which would not be tolerated in any private business. They sometimes lack any real judgement as to what is important. But we do need them of course! Their pensions of inflation proof half pay for life after 30 years are just too generous. The average age for police officers to retire is 49! They should not be allowed to do this whilst running a force full of admin people of questionable quality. Once operations are too much for them, they should do the desk jobs to at least 65 like anyone else. The true worth of their pay packages are considerably beyond those available to someone with similar educational ability in the private sector. Some forces now pay out MORE in pensions than in current staff.

It'a all Brownism for you.

Full of inaccuracies.

Police get 2/3 pay on retirement after 30 yrs' service

If the average retirement age is 49, then the majority won't get anywhere near the full pension, unless they all join at 19 - which they don't, of course.

You can't compare being a police officer to any private sector job. There is no comparable occupation, so comparing like for like isn't possible.

Lacking real judgement? They are humans and have all the failings of any other group of people.

As I understand

Specials have the same powers as regular PCs, i.e. across England and Wales

Most of you will have come across specials at some point but thought they were regular PCs, as the uniform is identical.

I must say, I can't see the idea going down well with the existing special constabulary. People joining the specials to get experience before signing up full time is one thing. Requiring them to do it before they can apply for the regs is another thing entirely.

As I understand

Possibly a bit off track but I had got the impression that the power of arrest that the police officer has is in fact just an extension of the citezen's power of arrest. I further had the impression that the all police were in fact constables, son in fact any police person would be more correctly described as a constable as opposed to a police officer.

Possibly a bit off track but I had got the impression that the power of arrest that the police officer has is in fact just an extension of the citezen's power of arrest. I further had the impression that the all police were in fact constables, son in fact any police person would be more correctly described as a constable as opposed to a police officer.

Every police officer from Special Constable to Police Constable through to Chief Constable holds the public office of constable. It is the office of constable that gives the additional powers of arrest. Note PCSOs do not hold the office of constable.

Powers of arrest are quite complex, but basically, a citizen can arrest if they see someone comitting a crime or having just comitted a crime. The citizen has to be 100% certain that a crime is or has been comitted.

A constable can arrest on reasonable suspicion of the above. There are additonal powers under legislation such as pace, e.g. a constable can arrest if they think someone isn't who they say they are.