House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blankster

Why Didn't They Raise The Age For Free Bus Travel?

I see that the pension / retirement age for men is to go up to 66. That is grossly unfair and discriminatory.

But why didn't the chancellor scrap the over-generous free bus travel for the over 60's? The qualifying age should be raised from 60 to 70.

I see that the pension / retirement age for men is to go up to 66. That is grossly unfair and discriminatory.

But why didn't the chancellor scrap the over-generous free bus travel for the over 60's? The qualifying age should be raised from 60 to 70.

What's wrong with working later. You live longer. You need money to survive.

Get off your a**e and work for what you need to survice.

That's the natural order. The natural order is being restored.

Labour are gone, get over it.

More pensioners driving cars.

The defence rests.

Beat me to it.

But we should probably restrict travel times so that they reach the shops and banks outside of lunchtime.

My MIL has one and loves using it, mainly to go shopping in the west end.

She has never worked since her had kids, but they are now all grown up.

My FIL earns over £100k. He is still working.

They both get their winter fuel allowance too.

IMO should only be given to pensioners who can't afford to run a car.

What's wrong with working later. You live longer. You need money to survive.

Get off your a**e and work for what you need to survice.

That's the natural order. The natural order is being restored.

Labour are gone, get over it.

It is a pity that our political leaders dont adopt this positive tone. The country would make a proper and full recovery if all this nonsense was dealt with properly.

I would love to hear big Dave Cameron giving it straight to the Family Chav as they are 'downsized' from their taxpayer financed mansion.

"If you dont like it, get off your ar**s and get a job just like the rest of us".

In my dreams perhaps, but if he did this, you neednt have to count the votes at the next election, you could just weigh them.

My dad has one and for all the good it does him he may as well not.

One bus an hour until 5.30pm is all they have. So he has a car which he moans about the cost of. Told him to sell up and move nearer shops but he doesn't want to.

Good point but I expect they will. This process it strikes me is all about killing sacred cows... so for instance we will raise the pension age... gulp, swallow.... next comes raising the free bus pass and age when you get winter fuel allowance ( etc) after all you'll still be working.. etc.

On other fronts... freeze public sector pay and raise contributions to pensions... then lower pensions benefits.... then pass working practice changes .

On middle class benefits benefits get rid of child trust. funds.. freeze child tax credits... then child allowance... then means test both.... then rasie the bar of earnings related tax credits.

On scrounger benefits... toughen up disability allowances.... then thoughen them again.... freeze unemployment benefit... add new forced back to work schemes to qualify for benefit beyind a certain level ( eg a little like minimum wage community service)... lower housing allowances... change benefit culture to discourage extra benefits for bigger and bigger families... etc etc

They have STARTED the process and there haven't been any riots or threats to strike yet.... they will continue to make deeper and deeper changes... the more they can unravelt the better I think.... the state should be there to provide education, law and order, defence and the NHS.... etc... but shouldn't be a fundemental part of peoples lives to the degree it is now... the welfare side should operate on the basis of catching you if you fall and helping you get back on your own two feet... nothing more.

It is a pity that our political leaders dont adopt this positive tone. The country would make a proper and full recovery if all this nonsense was dealt with properly.

I would love to hear big Dave Cameron giving it straight to the Family Chav as they are 'downsized' from their taxpayer financed mansion.

"If you dont like it, get off your ar**s and get a job just like the rest of us".

In my dreams perhaps, but if he did this, you neednt have to count the votes at the next election, you could just weigh them.

Thanks for the support. It's time the real workers of the country were considered first. We are the life blood. The Public Services are the parasites. They shouldnt be consulting with the public service how they think cuts should be made, they should be asking the private sector.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/parasite

" One who habitually takes advantage of the generosity of others without making any useful return."

" One who lives off and flatters the rich; a sycophant."

Sums it up really.

p.S. I consider most of the banks now public servants as they are publicly owned and publicly funded.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Write to Dave.

http://www.davidcameron.com/2007/06/contact-david-cameron.html

House of Commons: camerond@parliament.uk

Telephone numbers:

House of Commons Phone number: 020 7219 3475

House of Commons Fax number: 020 7219 1945

Constituency Phone number: 01993 702 302

Constituency Fax number: 01993 776 639

Addresses:

Constituency 10 Bridge Street

Witney Oxon OX28 1HY

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/budget/7514142/Budget-2010-Free-bus-pass-age-to-rise-as-default-retirement-age-to-be-scrapped.html

Budget 2010: Free bus pass age to rise as default retirement age to be scrapped

By Martin Beckford

Published: 7:00AM GMT 25 Mar 2010

From next month the entitlement age for concessionary travel will rise from 60, eventually reaching 65 by the end of the decade in line with the increasing state pension age for women.

It wouldnt save any money.

AFAIK its off only peak travel anyway. The buses have to run every hour throughout the day, so they may as well be filled. At least where I live theyre mostly empty throughout the day, save a student or two and a bunch of the freeloader boomers.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/PublicTransport/BusAndCoachTravel/DG_10036264

i should add i live in a fairly rural area, maybe its different in London with OAPs cajouling young workers off the bus with their free entitlements.

Here though, the bus isnt used much except by six form students, people too stupid to pass their driving test or people caught drink driving from 7-9am, and nigh on empty the rest of the day.

It would probably be cheaper to provide taxis.

It wouldnt save any money.

AFAIK its off only peak travel anyway. The buses have to run every hour throughout the day, so they may as well be filled. At least where I live theyre mostly empty throughout the day, save a student or two and a bunch of the freeloader boomers.

It costs a ton of money. The fact that the buses run with empty spaces in them does not stop the bus companies charging LAs for the pensioners that they carry.

tim

It costs a ton of money. The fact that the buses run with empty spaces in them does not stop the bus companies charging LAs for the pensioners that they carry.

tim

What does it matter if there is one paying customer or one paying customer plus ten freeloading pensioners. The bus has to run regardless.

Edited by Sadman