House Price Crash Forum

Plant Rescue

HOLA441

I'm supposed to be looking after my sister's outdoor potted flowers and plants whilst she's away for a couple of weeks. She just asked me to water them if tey were dry.

I know nothing about plants, BTW

I went to check them yesterday evening which is four days after she left. That seemed about right to me, but sadly most of them had wilted over even though almost all the flowers still looked OK.

I gave them lots of water and will do so again tonight.

But am I too late once they've wilted? Is there anythign esle I can do?

Would really appreciate some advice from people who know about these things. My sister is scary.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm supposed to be looking after my sister's outdoor potted flowers and plants whilst she's away for a couple of weeks. She just asked me to water them if tey were dry.

I went to check them yesterday evening which is four days after she left. That seemed about right to me, but sadly most of them had wilted over even though almost all the flowers still looked OK.

Would really appreciate some advice from people who know about these things. My sister is scary.

Be careful not to get water on their leaves if the plants are in the sun. Plants are best watered in the late evening. If you properly soak them, you should only need to water every 2 to 3 days unless they are in very little pots. My son once forgot to water mine when I was away and I returned to find them half dead. However most recovered after a good soaking. Good luck with the watering.

HOLA444

I did a similar thing with my dads plants while he was in Italy. :unsure: To bring them back (sort of) I gave them a thorough watering twice a day and some miracle grow. Some of the shriveled up plants started to look better after two days.

Did they straighten up at all?

The stems are really sagging over, almost flat some of them

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Skinty

Did they straighten up at all?

The stems are really sagging over, almost flat some of them

Plants can really wilt without watering but can recover after a while given a good regular soaking. I once forgot to water my parents small tree in a large pot once when they went on holiday and the whole thing went brown. But new buds later emerged and it was a mixture of fresh green growth and dried brown dead stuff.

Four days shouldn't kill the plants. It's just that potted plants need more regular watering than plants in the ground.

HOLA447
HOLA448

You need to water them in the late evening as the current heat will just such the moisture out of them - last night was very humid in my part of the world.

You have to give them a really good soaking - the green lawn and flower brigade around me, hard work but pretty, are soaking their gardens and flowers with sprinklers from about 8 in the evening for an hour or so.

HOLA449
Guest Noodle

Fear not. It takes time for them to recover, possibly many weeks. Probably not dead . . . yet.

Try a little BabyBio (emphasis on little), in with the water next time. Read the label.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest Noodle

You'll be surprised how resiliant most plants are. I've seen plants that looked like they were completely dead spring back to life after a good watering. The reason plants wilt when they haven't been watered enough is that non-woody plants keep themselves upright due to water pressure in the stems. As long as the leaves are still green then they should be ok.

This Carry On! style innuendo thing works well. :D

HOLA4414

Archived