House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

F T S E In Possible 3Rd Day Of Losses

FTSE 100 5161.82-0.32%

Now that a little light has been shed on why the markets are so irrational (good news= bad for stocks, bad news = buy buy buy) in the post* concerning the ETF Ponzi it all starts to make sense.

The West is busted and the markets are scrambling around erratically on the decks as the band plays on for a few more months.

The binge is nowhere near paid for.

Edit:

FTSE 100 5141.54-0.71%

*No comments on it yet, but to me its the most shocking news artcile I have seen since in along time.

Edited by Realistbear

if the ftse falls today it will not have risen today, however, if it rises today it will not have fallen

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Stock-futures-fall-point-to-apf-391894174.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=

Stock futures fall, point to lower opening
Stock futures drop as investors brace for mixed reports on unemployment, durable goods orders
Stephen "Stevie" Bernard, AP Business Writer, On Thursday June 24, 2010, 7:04 am
NEW YORK (AP) -- Stock futures fell Thursday as investors brace for new economic and jobs reports that are expected to paint a mixed picture for the economy.
Investors moved into the safety of bonds for the third straight day, pushing interest rates lower. The dollar also strengthened as investors moved out of the euro again.

So here we are, 3 days in a row down. A massive shift from the last few months. IMO its the return of the bear and we are going to pick up where we left off before all this recovereh talk began. The reality is still grim and house prices are toast.

FTSE down 1000 points by the end of summer?

FTSE 100 5138.54-0.77%

Edit:

FTSE 100 5134.25-0.85%

Edited by Realistbear

So here we are, 3 days in a row down. A massive shift from the last few months. IMO its the return of the bear and we are going to pick up where we left off before all this recovereh talk began.

What are you on about?

The market is 15% lower than it was two months ago , this fall didn't just start 3 days ago. In fact we are 150 points higher than recent lows.

I don't get these threads either. One down day wasn't really noteworthy at all, two somewhere less than mildly interesting, < 0.5% today isn't really worth commenting on.

Realest Bear, you're more bearish than a bearish man's bearish bits.

I don't get these threads either. One down day wasn't really noteworthy at all, two somewhere less than mildly interesting, < 0.5% today isn't really worth commenting on.

Realest Bear, you're more bearish than a bearish man's bearish bits.

FTSE 100 5131.62-1.02%

I know we bears are all hungering and thirsting for another bearfest and 3 days in a row of down days does look like it may be heralding some more gloom to come. A lot of bears are on the verge of starvation, the news has been so bullish with "recovereh" on the lips of every bull there is. So much debt and government emergency bail out money and so little impact at street level.

FTSE 100 5114.75-1.35%

3rd in a row looks a cert now.

That means we might, just might, have a BLACK FRIDAY. Long overdue IMO.

Carnage ahead--can't stand all this optimisdm it is making me feel a bit depressed. :(

FTSE 100 5114.75-1.35%

3rd in a row looks a cert now.

That means we might, just might, have a BLACK FRIDAY. Long overdue IMO.

Carnage ahead--can't stand all this optimisdm it is making me feel a bit depressed. :(

Why? One could just as easily argue after three falls (heads) we are now "due" a rise (tails).

The market will only fall significantly on the back of a trigger - it won't just fall 10% in a day for no reason.

Why? One could just as easily argue after three falls (heads) we are now "due" a rise (tails).

The market will only fall significantly on the back of a trigger - it won't just fall 10% in a day for no reason.

I think the last few months have been just that--aimless and pointless sell offs followed by frenzied buying. No discernible trigger to cause the action. A very typical summer market perhaps?

The trouble is not very deep beneath the surface and Europe seems to be constantly putting out bush fires in more and more hot spots waiting for a bit of headwind to combine them all in one big conflagration that will be beyond Germany's ability to bail out. The market knows this but it may be a case of who is going to sell off first and beat the herd.

FTSE 100 5099.03-1.54%

Lot of bad news from US after the markets closed (double dip looking certain) and how do stocks react?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ftse-seen-opening-higher-reuters_molt-b3b19739fd47.html?x=0

FTSE seen opening higher
6:37, Friday 25 June 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - The FTSE 100 index is seen rising on Friday, clawing back some of the previous session's sharp losses, as investors looked ahead to the weekend summits for world leaders in Canada.
The blue chip index looks set to gain 10-17 points, or as much as 0.3 percent, according to financial bookmakers, after it closed down 78.29 points, or 1.5 percent at 5,100.23 on Thursday, its lowest closing level in almost a month.
U.S. stocks fell on Thursday as fresh signs of consumer weakness and worries about likely stringent financial regulation
prompted investors to offload positions.
Asian stocks slid for a fourth straight session on Friday,
cautiously awaiting the weekend G20 meeting, dogged by uncertainty about the global economic recovery.

Lot of bad news from US after the markets closed (double dip looking certain) and how do stocks react?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ftse-seen-opening-higher-reuters_molt-b3b19739fd47.html?x=0

FTSE seen opening higher
6:37, Friday 25 June 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - The FTSE 100 index is seen rising on Friday, clawing back some of the previous session's sharp losses, as investors looked ahead to the weekend summits for world leaders in Canada.
The blue chip index looks set to gain 10-17 points, or as much as 0.3 percent, according to financial bookmakers, after it closed down 78.29 points, or 1.5 percent at 5,100.23 on Thursday, its lowest closing level in almost a month.
U.S. stocks fell on Thursday as fresh signs of consumer weakness and worries about likely stringent financial regulation
prompted investors to offload positions.
Asian stocks slid for a fourth straight session on Friday,
cautiously awaiting the weekend G20 meeting, dogged by uncertainty about the global economic recovery.

what was the lots of bad news from the US after the market closed ?

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

it's funny how they explain the reasons for market moves:

Asian stocks slid for a fourth straight session on Friday, cautiously awaiting the weekend G20

The FTSE 100 index is seen rising on Friday, clawing back some of the previous session's sharp losses, as investors looked ahead to the weekend summits for world leaders in Canada.

the same thing that caused Asian stocks to drop causes UK stocks to rise?

what was the lots of bad news from the US after the market closed ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/7852945/Ben-Bernanke-needs-fresh-monetary-blitz-as-US-recovery-falters.html

Published: 9:44PM BST 24 Jun 2010

Lot of comment in the press such as above published late in the day.

The stock market appears to be so manipulated by ETFs etc that it may no longer represent the real world where bad news is usually bad.

What are you on about?

The market is 15% lower than it was two months ago , this fall didn't just start 3 days ago. In fact we are 150 points higher than recent lows.

I remember back in 2008 , we had something like 11 down days in a row.

3 is nothing at all.

I remember back in 2008 , we had something like 11 down days in a row.

3 is nothing at all.

My observation is that the market has been rising against a backdrop of medium to long term very bad news.

it's funny how they explain the reasons for market moves:

Asian stocks slid for a fourth straight session on Friday, cautiously awaiting the weekend G20

The FTSE 100 index is seen rising on Friday, clawing back some of the previous session's sharp losses, as investors looked ahead to the weekend summits for world leaders in Canada.

the same thing that caused Asian stocks to drop causes UK stocks to rise?

one day RB will realise the news is irrelevant to day to day , hour to hour moves, depending on which way the market moves a reason is then decided as the cause of this. Its laughable that he tries to apply fundamental macro economic factors and conditions that take years to develop to hourly moves on the markets and is then non plussed when the market doesnt work over such an immaterial time period.

In reality the Dow and Nikkei did not finish down compared to when London closed both were trading at london open about 20 points higher than they were at 4.30 yesterday afternoon. So the ftse being up is in line with the moves on these indices

My observation is that the market has been rising against a backdrop of medium to long term very bad news.

sure i agree , but can you actually predict a long term pattern off a 3 day movement?

the market could start to rally tomorrow and not start going down again until August for all anyone here knows

one day RB will realise the news is irrelevant to day to day , hour to hour moves, depending on which way the market moves a reason is then decided as the cause of this. Its laughable that he tries to apply fundamental macro economic factors and conditions that take years to develop to hourly moves on the markets and is then non plussed when the market doesnt work over such an immaterial time period.

In reality the Dow and Nikkei did not finish down compared to when London closed both were trading at london open about 20 points higher than they were at 4.30 yesterday afternoon. So the ftse being up is in line with the moves on these indices

The market is not reflecting the fundamentals or the technicals--that is the issue. Some say bad news is priced in--if that was the case the onslaught of more recent bad news (US double dip) should also be priced in--negatively. Recent SM strength is, I believe, in that same place it was when Greenspan made his famous irrational exuberance speech.

The market is not reflecting the fundamentals or the technicals--that is the issue. Some say bad news is priced in--if that was the case the onslaught of more recent bad news (US double dip) should also be priced in--negatively. Recent SM strength is, I believe, in that same place it was when Greenspan made his famous irrational exuberance speech.

So what the market has spent the last decade not reflecting fundamentals, it spends 90% of its time not reflecting fundamentals because the price is based on collective EMOTION always (what someone is willing to buy at or offer at any point in time for whatever reason.

As for it not representing the technicals i dont know which technicals you are looking at but it is pretty well reflecting the ones i am looking, perhaps you are using the same technicals that made gold a sell about 800 dollars ago.

As for some say, someone is always saying something and everyone says something different, that is what makes the market, perhaps you should stop worrying what other people say and only care about what your own analysis says. Then you can stop posting these pointless daily articles saying the market isnt going right because its moved 1 point up or down