House Price Crash Forum

It's Redundancy Season

Cheston Pelvis

HOLA441

Here's a little anecdote from the start of the month for the off-topic forum (as it's probably not a big enough story for the news blog! :D )

Whilst out for an after-work drink with ones better half I receive a call from one of my housemates asking if he could join us. The drink was justified as earlier that day he learned he was being made redundant (and this after just coming back from holiday too. Poor blighter!)

The next day I come home only to be asked by t'other housemate if I knew about "the redundancy".

"Oh, his," says I. "Yeah, he told me..."

"No, mine!"

I had to laugh. Maniacally.

HOLA442
Here's a little anecdote from the start of the month for the off-topic forum (as it's probably not a big enough story for the news blog! :D )

Whilst out for an after-work drink with ones better half I receive a call from one of my housemates asking if he could join us. The drink was justified as earlier that day he learned he was being made redundant (and this after just coming back from holiday too. Poor blighter!)

The next day I come home only to be asked by t'other housemate if I knew about "the redundancy".

"No, mine!"

£uck having you for a friend.

HOLA443

A slight misunderstanding, for which I apologise. I meant the "I had to laugh... it was all I could do!" turn of phrase used when a crappy bolt out of the blue is immediately met with another. Perhaps I should have added a :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's not all bad news. One is now on fully paid "garden leave" for three months (so that's essentially the rest of the summer to find another job) and the other is pretty much lined-up for exactly the same job with a rival - the only downside is that he might have to relocate. Less than ideal.

HOLA444
HOLA445

"No, mine!"

What the!?! Are you serious? There are words for people like you and unfortunately they are ****** asterixed out of ****** posts.

HOLA446

Then be creative like burnt before, though I don't think the webmaster would be too impressed.

Seriously, do you honestly think I am dancing in the streets over the fact that my two housemates were made redundant within 24 hours of each other (working for separate companies too, I should add)? Who do you reckon is left paying the rent should the worst happen? And does everyone only read the first post before flaming the author? Hmm.

I admit the "Maniacally" might have been a little much, though.

To aclwalker I agree redundancy can be a good thing to breathe new life into one's career, though in the interim it's a horrible situation to find oneself in. In this particuar situation I reckon the redundancies are going to be good for one housemate (as he is lined up to walk straight into the same job with a rival with a healthy redundancy package). T'other housemate may struggle as he was only in the job for a year (one of those "last in - first out" redundancies) and Norwich salaries are notoriously poor (initially, anyway), though he has been promised a glowing reference from his previous employers to bolster his CV.

Anyway, I only intended to add further anecdotal evidence that all is not well with the job market. I apologise if I put anyone's nose out of joint.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Fair point, bb. :) I'm not offended by swearing personally (indeed, I reckon if UK Universities can justify offering entire degree courses in Catalan then we should at least have one in Creative Swearing as well), but I recall the webmaster pinning a thread asking posters to tone things down in light of the extra attention the HPC site was getting.

Anyway, before I start sounding too much like an old nag, I make it time for bed. BOIIIIINNNNGGGG!!! :D

Archived