House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Elephant_In_The_Room

Vat

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

The news channels are unable to shut up about VAT, with accusations such as

"You said you had no plans to raise it Mr Coalition"

Well that's never happened before! Broken promises? Top Up Fees? House prices in Gordons 1997 Budget speech anybody?

So they lied, perhaps they needed to. It's now becoming apparent that people in this country want the cuts as long as they don't have to get involved.

To get to the point though, there's an elephant in the room.

VAT is being made some huge issue yet we're all sitting here comfortably paying our gigantic ponzi mortgages

Are we EVER going to get a sense of perspective in this godforsaken land?

VAT is being made some huge issue yet we're all sitting here comfortably paying our gigantic ponzi mortgages

Well said.

I am in my late forties and currently earn a little ( but not much) more than the national average. I have savings from previous higher earning days. I would happily spend money if it was coming in:

I worked out that total effects of paye, ni and vat changes will cost me less than 400 a year. However, as a renter at present, because housing is so bl**dy expensive, a % increase equal to official inflation will cost me more than 400 a year by itself........... But, far more important, as a saver, the drop in interest rates has cost me 1000 per month .

I am exactly the sort of consumer the country needs but, needless to say, I won't be upping my consumption for a while. Yet the media rattle on about all the wrong things. idiots

Edit : typos

Edited by bajista

I was stunned by the acquiescence to University fees, that is saddling every child with a political millstone around their neck.

Lets face it. A large proportion of the smartest people have left this country and the rest align their opinions with whatever the heavily biased neoliberal commentariat tell them.

Well said.

I am in my late forties and currently earn a little ( but not much) more than the national average. I have savings from previous higher earning days. I would happily spend money if it was coming in:

I worked out that total effects of paye, ni and vat changes will cost me less than 400 a year. However, as a renter at present, because housing is so bl**dy expensive, a % increase equal to official inflation will cost me more than 400 a year by itself........... But, far more important, as a saver, the drop in interest rates has cost me 1000 per month .

I am exactly the sort of consumer the country needs but, needless to say, I won't be upping my consumption for a while. Yet the media rattle on about all the wrong things. idiots

Edit : typos

Precisely.

I'm £150 worse off every month (whilst I sit in rented) thanks to the decimation of interest rates.

Does anyone care? Do the media ever mention it?

I'm sad to say this but the bottom line is that I don't care who gets shafted anymore. I've already had my 10 years of pain - Punishment for doing the responsible thing

Time for the feckless, witless whingers to join me?

Edited by BetterOffOnBenefits

Well that's never happened before! Broken promises? Top Up Fees? House prices in Gordons 1997 Budget speech anybody?

So they lied, perhaps they needed to. It's now becoming apparent that people in this country want the cuts as long as they don't have to get involved.

Indeed - the indoctrination of Joe Public to believe in HPI as a good thing means they don't mind spending an absolute fortune servicing huge mortgages for life yet moan about relatively small increases elsewhere in their expenditure.

HPI has truly become the opiate for the masses. As long as prices rise, they're all sedate, warm and fuzzy. Fools.

Yes, DC may have lied about not putting up the rate of VAT (although he may have been clever with his use of words by saying something like "we have no plans to put up VAT). After Tuesday`s budget, I witnessed why he couldn`t tell the truth.

The UK has massive debt. We all know that. You can comapre it with other countries, you can make it sound better by quoting all sorts of facts and figure, but we still have a massive debt. We had a choice, either deal with it, or leave it for another day/month/year. Best thing to do with debt is to get rid of it asap (see examples of those who have racked up large credit card debts). So, why couldn`t DC say "yes, we probably will have to increase VAT" ? Well, I saw J Public`s reactions to the budget, and the majority thought they were being hard done by because they were going to be a couple of hundred quid worse off per year. That`s why Cameron couldn`t tell them the whole truth. Large numbers of the UK population have been on a debt binge, their attitude to debt is "we migh pay it off, someday". If they aren`t too concerned about their personal debt, they sure aren`t going to be too keen to pay off the national debt. Brown didn`t want to start reducing the debt (or should I say reducing the rate at which the debt is increasing) until next year. This attitude is why we are where we are now. It`s a bit like those folk you see with £30K credit card balances. I always ask myself "at some point, did you not stop and think that you ought to stop increasing the debt, and start reducing it ?".

I doubt it.

and the media go along with all this. I'm not the brain of Britain but I increasingly feel that the news channels/newspapers are just there for the pond life. I witnessed Eammon Holmes (or should that be Homes) giving Osborne a hard time yesterday over VAT. He's obviously a Labour oik. Then he followed with a question about the football!

I'm still puzzled as to why VAT is the tax that gets everyones back up? Isn't a tax on spending fairer than a tax at source from your earnings? Oh silly me, half this country don't EARN anything, so they're quite happy for income to be taxed but not spending!.....because they're little credit card whores!

IMO VAT is vilified because historically it's a Tory Tax.....and then we're back to 4 legs Labour good, 2 legs Tory bad.

Indeed.

I'm getting to the stage where I wish that during the crack-up boom period I had applied for all the loans and credit cards I could, probably amassed a good 1/4 million in credit, move it offshore and then claim bankruptcy.

Sit back for 5 years and then start all over again.

Moral hazard is not something that this country seems very interested in.