House Price Crash Forum

Bp Oil Spill Disaster: Two Killed In Accidents; Containment Cap Removed After Robot Sub Collision

Guest Noodle

I remember reading about a train company who had a big train depot somewhere like Colorado - somewhere up on the water shed... beneath the land of the depot there was a giant underground reservoir that basically supplied water to tens of thousands of people... the train company got permission to start loading and unloading oil and chemical at this depot... the water table got contaminated and loads of people got very ill.. instead of stopping it it just went into the US legal system of sue and counter-sue... and such things are common in the US re big business... look at Erin Brokovitch... John Travolta starred in a similar film based on a true story along similar lines...

Big business in the US is so powerful and ruddy evil... unbridled capitalism back by the Dollar, lawyers and ultimately by cruise missiles... Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - if only she could see how big business have bought the US Senate.... IMPO of course.

What the idiots don't realize, it's much cheaper just to clean it up. Minimize on consultants, go to a bunch of contractors for a design and build remediation.

Wish the buggers would call me. :angry:

Guest sillybear2

From today's Telegraph: Film raises shale gas pollution fears.

shale-gas_1665032c.jpg

(That's a still from a trailer for the film which is embedded in the Telegraph article: you can see the guy igniting his tap-water from about 2:20 on.)

The Telegraph has more about this here with some early-morning readers' posts denouncing the film in exceedingly virulent terms. You do wonder about some of these people.

:huh: Oh man, those snake oil salesmen who convince Americans they can power their car with water are gonna have a field day with that.

Anyway, took them out. Had a Bora TDI back then and they were saying all this cack about efficient cars are BS blah blah . . . then said how fast and smooth that motor was, not knowing it was a little diesel doing over 50mpg.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=15&t=145719&qpid=2587693

Now the attitude has completely changed to 'Where can I get one?!' Same with US colleagues. I think it's changing.

Hope so. I would worry about the lack of mechanics who can competently work on a modern tdi engine, but of course that can change quickly.

It is still way under $3 per gallon and until that at least quadruples I don't think it will happen.

Guest Noodle

Hope so. I would worry about the lack of mechanics who can competently work on a modern tdi engine, but of course that can change quickly.

It is still way under $3 per gallon and until that at least quadruples I don't think it will happen.

They were really into the diesel thing, but it was availability due to emissions and the availability of diesel at filling stations believe it or not.

They were really into the diesel thing, but it was availability due to emissions and the availability of diesel at filling stations believe it or not.

?? Surely those massive American lorries run on diesel!!! Still, I think I do believe you. My road trips across the US have been all on petrol vehicles but surely surely those big trucks have to fuel somewhere....

Edit: Come to think of it, perhaps the city filling stations are all petrol. I cannot remember if that is true, but I do recall massive truck stops on the outskirts of towns and maybe that's where the diesel is.

Guest Noodle

?? Surely those massive American lorries run on diesel!!! Still, I think I do believe you. My road trips across the US have been all on petrol vehicles but surely surely those big trucks have to fuel somewhere....

Edit: Come to think of it, perhaps the city filling stations are all petrol. I cannot remember if that is true, but I do recall massive truck stops on the outskirts of towns and maybe that's where the diesel is.

Big commercial filling stations have it, but city is all petrol. Could also be the nozzle width on the dispensing gun.

Guest sillybear2

I think that's the problem, remember in the UK a few years back diesel was usually sold at a solitary pump hidden in some scrubby oil sodden corner where shady people in white vans used to fill up, 'normal' people had a well lit forecourt sheltered from the rain.

Big commercial filling stations have it, but city is all petrol. Could also be the nozzle width on the dispensing gun.

They need bigger flanges.

Is this some kind of drinking game?

I think that a lot of US diesel is lower-grade (high sulphur etc) than UK/EU grade ultra low sulphur diesel, so tailpipe emissions are much worse.

I think that a lot of US diesel is lower-grade (high sulphur etc) than UK/EU grade ultra low sulphur diesel, so tailpipe emissions are much worse.

You think wrongly.

US diesel legislation is amongst the most stringent in the world. The ULSD spec is 15 ppm, soon to be 10.

Archived