House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kyoto

Deposit Stoppage Query

I've had £150 stopped out of my last deposit and wondered if anyone could advise on my rights:

1. When I moved in I was told I would be charged £10 per month for water which would be stopped out of my bond. Now I've come to mov out I've had £27.50 per month stopped. The agreement was only verbal and not mentioned in the contract. Are they allowed to do this? I'm happy to pay the £10 in accordance with verbal agreement.

2. When I left they came and checked out and signed off the apartment as in good condition. Since then, they've saw fit to charge £25 for an oven clean. I object to this as I would have happily given it a second going over myself.

Thanks in advance

I've had £150 stopped out of my last deposit and wondered if anyone could advise on my rights:

1. When I moved in I was told I would be charged £10 per month for water which would be stopped out of my bond. Now I've come to mov out I've had £27.50 per month stopped. The agreement was only verbal and not mentioned in the contract. Are they allowed to do this? I'm happy to pay the £10 in accordance with verbal agreement.

2. When I left they came and checked out and signed off the apartment as in good condition. Since then, they've saw fit to charge £25 for an oven clean. I object to this as I would have happily given it a second going over myself.

Thanks in advance

Contest absoulutly everything to teach them for being greedy fockers.

1. Not in contract, not enforceable. Don't honour any verbal agreement with them as they apprently don't know the meaning of the word.

2. They have to prove any deductions they make, an inventory signed off saying 'its ok' will make it very diffcult for them to suddenly turn round and claim its not. They've already lied on one inventory, who says they're being truthful now?

That's two of us for screw the bastards then. Ooh - maybe his deposit wasn't protected and he can sue for 3x :)

Thanks for the comments.

Deposit was protected - a problem however is that I was £200 in credit plus my deposit. They said they will refund my deposit in full and take charges out of the overpayment.

I might try to make the distinction with them and say I want the overpayment back and charges should then come out of the deposit. I can then dispute these via the TDS.

Because the LL wants to pretend he lives there and so not pay tax on the rent?? You only need on utility bill to prove you live somewhere. (ie put all bills for where he really lives in wife's name and then scatter bills around the BTL to fool the tax man).

Maybe I'm a cynic but I would shop him to HMRC as I am sure he has nothing to hide it will not be an issue for the LL. And the oven cleaning bill is ridiculous esp as you had already done it and probably left it in a better state than when you moved in.

That's a really interesting point re the water bill :) It always did seem weird that they'd want to do it like that...

That's a really interesting point re the water bill :) It always did seem weird that they'd want to do it like that...

Yup. Phone them up and tell them he's been claiming the address as his permanent residence and tell them where he really lives. That'll screw him over if he tries to sell the place and claim primary residence relief rather than p[ay CGT on an investment. Allow him to return the deposit, and then take him to the small claims court for the return of the overpayment. If he wanted any deductions that should have come out of the deposit.

Thanks for the comments.

Deposit was protected - a problem however is that I was £200 in credit plus my deposit. They said they will refund my deposit in full and take charges out of the overpayment.

I might try to make the distinction with them and say I want the overpayment back and charges should then come out of the deposit. I can then dispute these via the TDS.

They're obviously intent on stealing most of the overpayment simply because they can. Oven clean is an old favourite, they won't touch the thing. You overpaid by 200 so they plucked 150 out of the air as 200 would be a bit too obvious. To be honest the easiest thing to do is forget it and be thankful for the 50 quid back, assuming that actually happens. Any overpayment to an ea is giving them money, big mistake. Just put a brick through their window one night to make yourself feel better, the moneys gone. The tds money you will get back.

They're obviously intent on stealing most of the overpayment simply because they can. Oven clean is an old favourite, they won't touch the thing. You overpaid by 200 so they plucked 150 out of the air as 200 would be a bit too obvious. To be honest the easiest thing to do is forget it and be thankful for the 50 quid back, assuming that actually happens. Any overpayment to an ea is giving them money, big mistake. Just put a brick through their window one night to make yourself feel better, the moneys gone. The tds money you will get back.

If he can prove he overpayed, then small claims would seem the route forwards for the overpayment.

If he can prove he overpayed, then small claims would seem the route forwards for the overpayment.

Id go small claims for any future claims whether or not the TDS is involved...they seem to go heavily on mood rather than evidence in my experience.

a court would look at the evidence.

And remember any tax the LL does not pay has to come from somewhere - namely the OP or me. LL probably does not even have a BTL mortgage either .... corruption like this is rife in the property market.

Good advice from Outlander. This cheat deserves to be hammered.