House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest mmm....beer

God The Forum's Dull Today

I'd prefer Karl Urban covered in the blood of our enemies ...

pathfinder.jpg

Even with the beer gut?

Guest Skinty

That looks a bit nippy to me.

Catch his death.

Tut.

Nahhh it's OK. He's running and keeping warm. The air will just be stimulating that's all.

Nahhh it's OK. He's running and keeping warm. The air will just be stimulating that's all.

He should have some H&S training - he is holding his weapon <titter> and shield completely wrong.

I think he's actually frozen in that position.

Is he carrying a manhole cover and wearing chaps?

Guest X-QUORK

He should have some H&S training - he is holding his weapon <titter> and shield completely wrong.

Needs to get 'imself to the barbers before the RSM wears 'im like my grandad's slippers.

Guest X-QUORK

There's nowt wrong with a little bit of a beer gut on a man.

Phew...and relax.

Absolutely, I put a lot of time, effort and money into mine.

The prize must go to some German tourists I saw on the beach in Thailand. It was...spectacular. :blink:

Guest Skinty

There's something about New Zealanders and swords that gets me 'ormones going ...

Depends on the chap and how they wear it... there's the Wayne Slob look (which is a bit eewww) but then there's the kind of chap for whom it just seems quite solid, robust and non-wimpy (which is v.good). Not keen on skinny, scrawny types - doesn't inspire confidence in a hunter-gatherer if they could be blown away by a stiff breeze. :)

God The Forum's Dull Today

It could have been oh so different had the mods not removed the flaps thread. Was just getting in to m'stride.

Is innuendo really too "off" for the "off-topic"?

Guest Noodle

It could have been oh so different had the mods not removed the flaps thread. Was just getting in to m'stride.

Is innuendo really too "off" for the "off-topic"?

I only and very rarely visit one other forum. The moderators there interact, they're active, they get involved, they enjoy and they're very much part of the team.

Carry On! type innuendo is part of British humour, it's our culture and what distinguishes the Brits from the rest of the world. Yes it's silly and childish I know.

I only and very rarely visit one other forum. The moderators there interact, they're active, they get involved, they enjoy and they're very much part of the team.

Carry On! type innuendo is part of British humour, it's our culture and what distinguishes the Brits from the rest of the world. Yes it's silly and childish I know.

Who are the Mods in fact?

Are they posters who volunteered?

How does forum management work?

Guest Noodle

They also play silly buggers with the swear filter :)

I'm all for a clean(ish) forum and some of the stuff posted recently was frankly, a bit embarrassing.

However, this tends to result in extreme moderating where clever or plain silly harmless innuendo threads now get pulled due to a paranoia.

Guest anorthosite

They also play silly buggers with the swear filter :)

Oh yes, good point ;)

Guest Noodle

Who are the Mods in fact?

Are they posters who volunteered?

How does forum management work?

No idea.

Guest Noodle

There is a list of moderators on the main forum page (moderating team). Moderators are selected and offered a limited range of moderating abilities. After some time these abilities can be increased if the moderator has proven to be in tune with the moderating team. There are many levels of moderating ability. A few moderators have some limited admin abilities too.

It is very risky to offer moderating abilities to a poster since that poster has the power to delete threads - edit posts - and generally create mayhem on the board. It takes up several hours a day to moderate so it can be a pain when there are a lot of complaints.

FUBRA has moderating and admin rights which can over rule the moderators. They are quite happy when there are no complaints but will take action when there are complaints like we have had this past week. They can remove threads if they consider them to be potential problem threads if they get a complaint. Unfortunately the actions of a few has now brought the attention of admin to this sub forum.

FUBRA own the site and do not want adverse publicity and neither do the moderators. So it is really up to the posters to show they can moderate themselves and make this forum pleasant for everyone.

This is not meant as a lesson just what I have learnt as a moderator.

Quork lives here, even though he's supposed to be working. Get him to help out.

In fairness though, the threads earlier this week did get a little OTT, non? A bit more than innuendo - more Bruno than Benny Hill. I rather think the Mods here do a thankless task where it's got to be impossible to please everybody... compared to several fora I've been with, they allow quite a lot of latitude on the whole, but a responsive when necessary. There have been a few seemingly inexplicable calls (mmm...beer) but on the whole they seem a pretty tactful crowd, and at least they give us logical explanations when threads get locked, for example, and are responsive when individuals are being given a bit of a shoeing.