House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zebbedee

Renewing Contract

Hi,

Our current rental period ends on 20th august and we've just recieved the renewal documents. The landlord wants to increase the rent from £595 to £620 and although we like the place are not willing to pay that much for it, indeed we want the rent reduced. A place a couple of doors up went for £595 (reduced from £650 with from PB) 6 weeks ago and has an extra bedroom (identical so a loft conversion I guess), we were on a 12 months contract on which we got an annex break clause insomuch that after 6 months we can terminate but the landlord has us for the full 12.

We were thinking that if we were to offer £550, pointing out the fact of the place up the road, and by way of a compensatory gesture offer the first 3 months up front (renewing monthly payments from novemebr) all other contract terms remaining would the landlord be likely to go for that in your opinions and if they did and all terms of the contract remained would the annex term of 6 month break remain also or only those in the core contract. Or should we just offer the £550 and see what they come back with?

Also if they don't go for it and we just go periodic would the rent change or do we need to agree to that.

Cheers

Zeb

Hi,

Our current rental period ends on 20th august and we've just recieved the renewal documents. The landlord wants to increase the rent from £595 to £620 and although we like the place are not willing to pay that much for it, indeed we want the rent reduced. A place a couple of doors up went for £595 (reduced from £650 with from PB) 6 weeks ago and has an extra bedroom (identical so a loft conversion I guess), we were on a 12 months contract on which we got an annex break clause insomuch that after 6 months we can terminate but the landlord has us for the full 12.

We were thinking that if we were to offer £550,

Zeb

Yes do that, and futhermore tell that them that its a one time offer and that if they try to make a counter offer, your next offer will be 525.

Hi,

We were thinking that if we were to offer £550, pointing out the fact of the place up the road, and by way of a compensatory gesture offer the first 3 months up front (renewing monthly payments from novemebr) all other contract terms remaining would the landlord be likely to go for that in your opinions and if they did and all terms of the contract remained would the annex term of 6 month break remain also or only those in the core contract. Or should we just offer the £550 and see what they come back with?

Also if they don't go for it and we just go periodic would the rent change or do we need to agree to that.

Cheers

Zeb

Hi Zeb

He can increase the (asking) rent by issuing a section 13 notice. I think it would only be a month's notice (after the fixed term ends). You can apply to a rent assement committee to contest it (whatever the hell that is). But I think the main point is if he needs the rent more than you need the place (as seems to be the case) then just tell him no.

Elk

We renewed our contract at the end of January and got it down to £1200 from £1375. We did it by pointing out that there were plenty of places in our immediate area that would have done us for £1000. The landlord quite rightly pointed out that our place was nicer and we agreed on the £1200 which was about what we were aiming for. My advice then is to have a good look on Rightmove and see what's out there - if you can point out to him a load of properties for less that what you're paying now that have been on the market for ages then you'll be in a very good position to negotiate - you want your landlord to worry that if you move out he'll have a long void and might end up having to take less anyway.

Definitely don't go straight in with the offer to pay the three months up front - save it as a bargaining chip if the negotiations aren't going you way. I'd also be very wary of doing it unless you know for a fact that the landlord is in a strong financial position (i.e. isn't likely to be repossessed). Have a look for your place on houseprices.co.uk to find out when he bought it and how much for - if it was in the last 5 years then definitely don't give him all that money. Even if it was more than 5 years ago be wary that he may have mewed your house to get a deposit for another place so could still be in financial trouble.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

1998 - £40k the fecker-so unless mewed that aspect should be ok, he used to live there (while at uni I presume) but we never recieve his mortgage mail, just some uni stuff addressed to him, the place has been let for 4 years now.

Cheers

Edited by zebbedee

Hi Zeb

He can increase the (asking) rent by issuing a section 13 notice. I think it would only be a month's notice (after the fixed term ends). You can apply to a rent assement committee to contest it (whatever the hell that is). But I think the main point is if he needs the rent more than you need the place (as seems to be the case) then just tell him no.

Elk

Does that mean that he can up the rent with the section 13 notice and we have to pay or be in breach or do we still need to agree and if we fail to he then has to serve an s21 or accept the current rent?

Cheers

Does that mean that he can up the rent with the section 13 notice and we have to pay or be in breach or do we still need to agree and if we fail to he then has to serve an s21 or accept the current rent?

Cheers

(Provided that he gets the documentation correct) he can increase the rent without your agereement.

If you don't like the new rent you give him notice to quit.

tim

(Provided that he gets the documentation correct) he can increase the rent without your agereement.

If you don't like the new rent you give him notice to quit.

tim

I think tim is correct. You'd only ever use a section 13 when the tennant didn't agree for the rent to be raised. If you don't like it you have to go to some rent advisiory comittee or leave. If he raises it and dosen't get your consent or use a section 13 you can't be evicted for non-payment (section 8?).

In principle they're not allowed to raise it to unpayable levels to make you leave but I have no idea how it works in practice.

I guess the bottom line is treat as a negotiation and be prepared to walk away, if he play's hardball inform the landlord that he can sodomise himself with a large iron pole.

check on the land reg as to whether he has a BTL mortgage

Does the LR give that info, I thought they'd just list the mortgage provider who may have given permission for it to be let on his current mortgage?

Thought I'd give an update on this.

We had the agents round on saturday for the inspection (which they only apparently do Mon-Fri, vut miraculously managed when told no way when we're out and we work Mon-Fri)

The person who came round was the same one who had sent the renewal letter so we thought we'd get down to brass tacks. A word of warning, never proceed with rental negotiations when your other half is around.

As we got into the conversation about renewing, the fiancee piped in with "it would depend on our job situation". Cheers dear let them know that.

I mentioned that I thought the rent they were seeking was to high, pointing out that the house a few doors up with an extra room went for £595 a few weeks back and one on the street we used to live on is available for £575 and has comparable floor area. She asked what I'd be looking for-"£550 ball park",I said,"with all other contract conditions the same". I'd expected them to get onto the landlord and come back with £575 and then I'd throw the swerve ball of £565 and the first 3 months up front. Now my fiancee dopped the real clanger,"We'd still need the 6 month break clause". WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING I THOUGHT

So they've got back to us with £575 and we've to drop the break clause (which was open to all circumstances).

So I now have to use the 3 months rent up front as a bargaining chip just to get back what I already had.

They may have looked over the contract and spotted it but maybe not, I couldn't believe my fiancee was doing thier job for them.

So it'll only be a small drop (still 3.3%) but it's almost a months rent off, over the year, what they were seeking in the first place.

So try those negotiations, worked a little for me but make sure the both of you are working from the same script.

Ofcourse I've been winding her up-

police-"we'd like to talk about last friday"

her-"I didn't rob the bank and there wasn't £14283.37 in the vault"

Just heard back from them, got the break clause for 3 months up front resuming monthly after 3 months at £575

I guess it could have been £565 if 'er in doors didn't have a big gob (which comes in useful sometimes :P ) some you win...

Edited by zebbedee