House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

House Prices In Ni?

I think the OP is referring to actual exchange prices.

The answer is no, there is nowhere on-line that records it, and it is not even mandatory to record it in the land registry.

An alternative many use here is the DCV (Domestic Capital Value) or rateable value. This is the estimated value of a property in January 2005 and is accessed via the LPSNI website ;

http://lpsni.gov.uk/vListDCV/search.asp?submit=form

You can then calculate the ratio to the advertised price to the DCV and have an idea of how much the price has increased since then in comparision to other properties. There are some inaccuracies but its a starting point to give you a reference that you can agree or disagree with. Typically I see properties for sale at 1.1-1.3x DCV at the moment, I think exchange price will usually be <10% below advertised price.

Edited by Ride_on

That's quite a different system to England - and seems wrong to me - what's wrong with open and honest figures?

Quite a few figures in NI have been less than open and honest.

That's quite a different system to England - and seems wrong to me - what's wrong with open and honest figures?

I believe I read somewhere that Land Reg, here in NI is installing a multi million pound system that I would expect will be able to publish this sort of data. At the moment they have a very, very old system that can take over a year to get anything registered.

I believe I read somewhere that Land Reg, here in NI is installing a multi million pound system that I would expect will be able to publish this sort of data. At the moment they have a very, very old system that can take over a year to get anything registered.

From what I understand followng communication with the NI Land Registry there is not the political will at Stormont to make our Land Registry data open and transparent. To do so would apparently require legislative and statute change.

Lets face it no MLA currently on the gravy train wants to be seen to be involved with this idea as it would be a sure fire vote loser and they'd be biting the hand that feeds them.

Besides the Land Registry makes enough money from folio searches so there is no incentive for them to change they way they currently do things and deny themselves a quite considerable revenue stream.

Edited by paul65

Recently I found a bill for the introduction of electronic registration on the land registry web site, skimming it I can't find any reference to mandatory recording of exchange price or any mention of the word price.

SarahB, its not so much a 'different system', its that we have 'no' system as such to allow anyone to easily assess the value of a house here. The DCV system is for rate charging purposes not really for valuation, it doesn't take account of condition or changes in the area that may affect desirability.

I wonder if the ROI manage to get their act together and have a land registry site then NI might follow.

I think that's their plan and even the CIF were calling for it.