House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

What New Laptop?

My Dell C640 is ok for its day to day tasks typing up documents, however it is really showing its age.

Since I'm about to embark on another business I can claim the capital cost back off me taxes. Sooo without further a do for £500 what laptop which is barely portable (as it will spend most of its life on a desk) do you recommend?

I am normally pro recycling and keeping old things running as long as possible but the C640 maxxed out on CPU and ram is starting to have trouble loading some gigantic pictures and documents. But I feel that this machine is probably beyond that, and it is affecting me productivity as when opening such files I generally wander off make a sandwich cup of tea or something then come back when the task at hand is complete. I'm getting concerned about the CPU running 70-80C all the time when 40-60 is a healthier figure and when playing anything flashlike the CPU goes nuclear.

Some of those new Samsungs look good, but will they last as long as my workhorse?

Thanks.

Guest Noodle

My Dell C640 is ok for its day to day tasks typing up documents, however it is really showing its age.

Since I'm about to embark on another business I can claim the capital cost back off me taxes. Sooo without further a do for £500 what laptop which is barely portable (as it will spend most of its life on a desk) do you recommend?

I am normally pro recycling and keeping old things running as long as possible but the C640 maxxed out on CPU and ram is starting to have trouble loading some gigantic pictures and documents. But I feel that this machine is probably beyond that, and it is affecting me productivity as when opening such files I generally wander off make a sandwich cup of tea or something then come back when the task at hand is complete. I'm getting concerned about the CPU running 70-80C all the time when 40-60 is a healthier figure and when playing anything flashlike the CPU goes nuclear.

Some of those new Samsungs look good, but will they last as long as my workhorse?

Thanks.

Toshiba or Sony. Only reliable ones.

Although I just got a Dell XFR e6400 for site. Military spec, ruggerdised.

Or get a refurb! With full warranty. Cheap.

Guest X-QUORK

Toshiba or Sony. Only reliable ones.

Although I just got a Dell XFR e6400 for site. Military spec, ruggerdised.

Or get a refurb! With full warranty. Cheap.

Ruggerdised. That's one way of testing it's ruggedness.

Guest X-QUORK

I'm familiar with the concept from me old days of marching about Noodle, but I was tickled by your spelling of ruggedised.

Guest Noodle

I'm familiar with the concept from me old days of marching about Noodle, but I was tickled by your spelling of ruggedised.

Silly spelling thing on Opera 10.53.

Speaking of which, this is the best browser yet. Makes my 2G mobile seem a bit like broadband. Not a lot but a bit.

Give it a try.

Opera

Guest Noodle

Right since none have clocked the ludicrous price . . . I got a new one, classed as a refurb with full 3 year Dell warranty for under a grand, not the £3400 list price.

Look into refurbished PC's/laptops - check it all out carefully but you can save serious money doing this.

Guest X-QUORK

No idea if that's good value or not? :unsure:

Expensive for stolen goods, I'd say.

Guest Noodle

I have a Dell XPS which is about 18 months old and it's the best laptop...no computer, I've ever had. Can't go wrong with Dell IMHO.

Good, because you should see the email I recently sent to Mark Hurd, CEO of HP.

4 laptops and a desktop in 5 years!!!

Hence the Dell XFR nuclear proof tank.

Good, because you should see the email I recently sent to Mark Hurd, CEO of HP.

4 laptops and a desktop in 5 years!!!

Hence the Dell XFR nuclear proof tank.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 640m, purchased about 4+ years ago for circa £800. Expensive at the time but well worth it as it is still working. The extended battery still gives me at least 5 hours of heavy usage.

Compare that to my OH's 1 year old Toshiba thingy's battery which now only lasts 10 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if it blows up at some point soon.

Edit to add: p.s. I have some experience of using toughbooks and they are pretty good too, although I don't know what exact mil std they are up to.

Guest Noodle

I am using a Dell Inspiron 640m, purchased about 4+ years ago for circa £800. Expensive at the time but well worth it as it is still working. The extended battery still gives me at least 5 hours of heavy usage.

Compare that to my OH's 1 year old Toshiba thingy's battery which now only lasts 10 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if it blows up at some point soon.

Whaddya reckon to that XFR!!!

I've done it right this time, had the time to research what I really needed (a laptop to withstand extreme conditions of dust, heat and humidity) and got it for the same (less in fact) than a normal one.

Seriously folks, do look into the refurb with warranty thing, I saved £2400 on that laptop and a bunch of other new gear for site like the Olympus MJU Tough camera and Lacie Rugged Tough external drive.

When I select electronics now I look for stuff certified for MIL-STD 810F or 810G and IP65 up, including unlocked phones (Samsung B2100 is worth a look). I got sick of fragile poncey kit breaking.

Heh my Dell C640 was a corporate refurb it cost me £210 in 2005 or was it 2004 I forget.

I'm a looking at a £340 satellite toshiba currently.

Guest Noodle

Heh my Dell C640 was a corporate refurb it cost me £210 in 2005 or was it 2004 I forget.

I'm a looking at a £340 satellite toshiba currently.

Yes refurb. No not a million quid.

There's really good Dell refurbs (new with 3 year warranty) in your price range. I'll look now.

Toshiba Satellite, good idea, it's what the guys here recommend and in the UK as reliable.

Guest Noodle

23tnl6x.jpg

In the new boring politically correct OT, I feel you may draw a little fire for that one. :D

Guest X-QUORK

:lol:

Quorky, if you're not interested...do one you pest ;)

Sorry, I've been outed as the attention whore I am. ;)

Guest Noodle

No wonder you and mmm...beer get on so well*

(TM CrashTestDummy)

Would you like a Peter Butterworth or a Kenneth Connor?

Silly spelling thing on Opera 10.53.

Speaking of which, this is the best browser yet. Makes my 2G mobile seem a bit like broadband. Not a lot but a bit.

Opera is rather like Marmite - people seem to love it or loathe it. Personally I loathe it - in part because it doesn't (by default) run a range of content from sites that I need. Interested to see you find it useful for your mobile though: I'd always thought it was a bit like wasps - pointless and created to piss people off.

Guest Noodle

Opera is rather like Marmite - people seem to love it or loathe it. Personally I loathe it - in part because it doesn't (by default) run a range of content from sites that I need. Interested to see you find it useful for your mobile though: I'd always thought it was a bit like wasps - pointless and created to piss people off.

It's the best yet for me.

Got it for the PC, v10.54 and Opera Mini for the PDA.

Can't fault either.

It's the best yet for me.

Got it for the PC, v10.54 and Opera Mini for the PDA.

Can't fault either.

Ahh - you're in the 'Love' camp. I'm a bit of a floating voter at the mo with browsers; I use chrome, firefox, safari, a bit of ie depending on what day it is... given up on O though, for the moment, although they all keep changing. I dropped firefox for a long while for security reasons. Nice to use it again sometimes.