House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

Housing Benefit & Five Bedroom + Houses..

As the new rules cover up to four bedroom properties, what happens with families that need more than four bedrooms? Are they exempt? Or I wonder if those effected will start pushing out more kids?

As the new rules cover up to four bedroom properties, what happens with families that need more than four bedrooms? Are they exempt? Or I wonder if those effected will start pushing out more kids?

From what I read, it's 4 beds and above that are on the same scale. They certainly are not going to make 4 bed £400 and 5 bed £2000. Does anyone "need" more than 4 bedrooms?

No.

If you`re going to have a child on benefit then it should be made clear that that is the only one that will be paid for; after that you will have had to work for a set number of years before you can claim for any more children.

That's all very well in trying to do that, but how do you prevent more children to come into the world? Force the parent(s) to put the child up for adoption / care once its born?

Edited by zagreb78

That's all very well in trying to do that, but how do you prevent more children to come into the world? Force the parent(s) to put the child up for adoption / care once its born?

Never heard of bunk beds ?

As the new rules cover up to four bedroom properties, what happens with families that need more than four bedrooms?

They can still have a five bedroomed house, they just won't get more than £400 a week for it.

You only get housing benefit for 4 bedrooms. You get one bedroom for the parent or parents, and one per two children of the same sex, so you would need a pretty big family to require more than 4 bedrooms. 5 boys / 1 girl, 5 girls / 1 boy or 3 of each is the smallest family that would require more than 4 bedrooms.

From what I read, it's 4 beds and above that are on the same scale. They certainly are not going to make 4 bed £400 and 5 bed £2000. Does anyone "need" more than 4 bedrooms?

A woman with 7 children?

A LL on Homes Under the Hammer not long ago bought a very ordinary 4 bed terraced house, did a quick, cheap tart-up, converted one of the living rooms to a bedroom, ping, a 5 bed house with one small sitting room.

Local letting agents said it would rent for around £450 pcm.

LL, grinning all over his face, said he'd already found a tenant with 7 kids who'd pay double that.

He didn't actually say she was DSS, but I don't suppose anyone betting a month's salary on it would have worried too much about losing.

They can still have a five bedroomed house, they just won't get more than £400 a week for it.

agreed. excellent move and great for hpc in London. all those heavily-mortgaged claimants will have a upper limit of 20k p.a.

Should be less, but is a good start

You never know, it might make the feckless slappers that have 5 kids by 5 different fathers think about keeping their knickers on.

condom.jpg

No.

If you`re going to have a child on benefit then it should be made clear that that is the only one that will be paid for; after that you will have had to work for a set number of years before you can claim for any more children.

+1

Misunderstanding of the rules, I think.IIRC, calculation goes on rooms, not "bedrooms as originally intended" A four bedroom house will almost certainly have two receptions, so for HB purposes would be 6 beds. Obviously, you don't count the kitchen or bathroom, but the purpose of the rules is enable "decent" sleeping arangements. Whoever stays up latest has a sofabed in one of the receptions!

It will be interesting to see if there are legal challenges - the restriction could bring it into collision with the Environmental Health rules on overcrowding, which are a bit different and stipulate minimum room sizes for example.

Edited by cartimandua51

Misunderstanding of the rules, I think.IIRC, calculation goes on rooms, not "bedrooms as originally intended" A four bedroom house will almost certainly have two receptions, so for HB purposes would be 6 beds. Obviously, you don't count the kitchen or bathroom, but the purpose of the rules is enable "decent" sleeping arangements. Whoever stays up latest has a sofabed in one of the receptions!

It will be interesting to see if there are legal challenges - the restriction could bring it into collision with the Environmental Health rules on overcrowding, which are a bit different and stipulate minimum room sizes for example.

Or they can move somewhere where you can rent an x-bedroom house for < 20k per annum, Not hard to do even in HPC-mad UK...

Your post has really insulted me....my parents worked hard and brought up six of us...so that is 8 in a two double and one single bed home...no help with housing allowance benefits...we had bunk beds and made do somehow....did none of us any harm...in fact it did us all good......people IMO get too much for nothing...argue with that. :angry:

If you cant afford to have kids, don't have them or do it yourself, pay for it yourself.

Your post has really insulted me....my parents worked hard and brought up six of us...so that is 8 in a two double and one single bed home...no help with housing allowance benefits...we had bunk beds and made do somehow....did none of us any harm...in fact it did us all good......people IMO get too much for nothing...argue with that. :angry:

If you cant afford to have kids, don't have them or do it yourself, pay for it yourself.

My dad was one of six, and he didn't live too far off those conditions that you described. I am glad though, that the vast amount of ppl in this country no longer have to live in completely substandard / (at times deeply dangerous) housing. I nearly died when I was very young, due to the very poor, substandard housing that we lived in at the time.

I agree that something does need to be done in order to get those who cannot be arsed to help themselves, but I am sick and tired of those on this board who lump those who are genuinely down on their luck and put them into the same box as those who really can't be arsed. The vast, vast majority of those on benefits want to improve their lot, and the vast, vast majority do not cheat the "system". Believe me, its certainly no fun. We also need to get to root of why ppl who have never worked & why they don't want to work...is it down to pure laziness, or is it more complicated than that?

Edited by zagreb78

My dad was one of six, and he didn't live too far off those conditions that you described. I am glad though, that the vast amount of ppl in this country no longer have to live in completely substandard / (at times deeply dangerous) housing. I nearly died when I was very young, due to the very poor, substandard housing that we lived in at the time.

I agree that something does need to be done in order to get those who cannot be arsed to help themselves, but I am sick and tired of those on this board who lump those who are genuinely down on their luck and put them into the same box as those who really can't be arsed. The vast, vast majority of those on benefits want to improve their lot, and the vast, vast majority do not cheat the "system". Believe me, its certainly no fun. We also need to get to root of why ppl who have never worked & why they don't want to work...is it down to pure laziness, or is it more complicated than that?

I lived in a very solid 1930 house with a park down the road, a good school up the road, responsible parents and kind and caring neighbors....I am all for those that are down on their luck, but that is no excuse for keep having children if they cannot provide for them...there are many that would love to have more kids, but they prefer to focus on the ones they have and try to do the best for them...not to do with laziness more to do with entitlement and rights. :mellow: