House Price Crash Forum
Nickolarge

The Cult Of Austerity

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how this austerity thing is beginning to take on all the characteristics of a religious cult.

You have the well meaning but slightly vacant minded types who actually sound like they are looking forward to it.

You have the con artist evangelistic types who are only in it for personal gain (most politicians included here).

Speaking out against tough measures is going to make you look like a heretic or blasphemer.

There's more, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how this austerity thing is beginning to take on all the characteristics of a religious cult.

You have the well meaning but slightly vacant minded types who actually sound like they are looking forward to it.

You have the con artist evangelistic types who are only in it for personal gain (most politicians included here).

Speaking out against tough measures is going to make you look like a heretic or blasphemer.

Austerity seems to be increasing the handouts and not even trying to do anything about the debt for five years. I can see why the scroungers are looking forward to it.

I'm for austerity in that I would like the budget to balance. It's not ideology, I truly believe that budget deficits and the inflation that usually comes with them are the worst you can do for a country.

I'm all for public services mind you, but as a vested interest (taxpayer), I'd hope that my taxes are properly used to help those that need help and provide me with the infrastructure I need to have a good and prosperous life.

What's wrong with that?

It's the whole cult of 'something'. Big brother, X-Factor, Global warming, Paedophiles, Immigrants, Pit bulls, Speeding, Drinking, Smoking, Terrorists, Dole scroungers, Benefit claimants, Boomers, Young People, Old People, Single Mums, Btl'ers, Bankers, Politicians, Clergy, The Royals, Over eating, Under eating..... Blah Blah Blah.

It's because most peoples vacuous lives suck and because they can't think for themselves they lurch from one 'cause' to the next.

I just hope we don't get another Hitler type coming along in the next few years, because if we do then our society is primed and ready. :ph34r:

Death to the BTL'ers! :unsure:

It's the whole cult of 'something'. Big brother, X-Factor, Global warming, Paedophiles, Immigrants, Pit bulls, Speeding, Drinking, Smoking, Terrorists, Dole scroungers, Benefit claimants, Boomers, Young People, Old People, Single Mums, Btl'ers, Bankers, Politicians, Clergy, The Royals, Over eating, Under eating..... Blah Blah Blah.

It's because most peoples vacuous lives suck and because they can't think for themselves they lurch from one 'cause' to the next.

I just hope we don't get another Hitler type coming along in the next few years, because if we do then our society is primed and ready. :ph34r:

So right. Too many people have unthought out causes.

We need a strong man to lead this country to prosperity !

:D

:P

:huh:

:unsure:

:ph34r:

I think leaders like Hitler are the next phase after the depression drags on for a number of years. It seems like societies go in cycles.

Not neccessarily the racist or warlike side.. but the nation giving up on democracy and consensus and just putting their faith in one individual and his vision. Like Roosevelt's power.

If it is a religious cult then it has more than an tinge of S & M to it.

Some posters on here seem to get an almost sexual pleasure at the thought of the pain austerity will impose on others.

Bit sad really .

I think leaders like Hitler are the next phase after the depression drags on for a number of years.  It seems like societies go in cycles.  

Not neccessarily the racist or warlike side.. but the nation giving up on democracy and consensus and just putting their faith in one individual and his vision.  Like Roosevelt's power.

But of course you know what the Prophesies say within the Cult of Austerity. 

They speak of the Second Coming of Gordon. Who else can relieve us of this austerity through profligacy and impose the iron fist of Government. 

I was thinking the other day how the people in the 1950s, after the war years looked so fit and healthy, very few fat people, ration books were still in use, a different mindset...to be truthful people nowadays have had it a lot easier, living life on government, bankers and personal debt....things will change, best try to get used to it. ;)

I was thinking the other day how the people in the 1950s, after the war years looked so fit and healthy, very few fat people, ration books were still in use, a different mindset...to be truthful people nowadays have had it a lot easier, living life on government, bankers and personal debt....things will change, best try to get used to it. ;)

They may have looked fit and healthy but mostly they hated the greyness and the drabness. No wonder most people went apeshit once the 60s kicked it.

And by the way, it wasn't just in the 50s most people weren't overweight. You look at photos of the 60s and 70s. By and large most people didn't put on weight until they got into middle age.

It's always a worrying thing when people start talking about economic policy in terms of morality and righteousness. Soon you either find that a few million kulacks are being marched off to Siberia, or that your entire national infrastructure has been sold to Friends Of The IMF for 10p, in both cases for your own good.

The Germans especially love the idea of auserity. That they should have to suffer years of pain for past sins.

Was just talking about this the other day. The self deprecating Germans and sometimes open hostility from others due to their dodgy recent history but the Italians seem to get away scot free. Oh how we love the Italians and all things Italian.

Austerity seems to be increasing the handouts and not even trying to do anything about the debt for five years. I can see why the scroungers are looking forward to it.

Scroungers? Is it the banks you're talking about? They've had the biggest handouts of all, and don't seem to be suffering from too much "austerity".

Some people are short-term thinkers who will borrow all they can to blow in a hedonistic orgy, they always ends up suffering because of it. Those who spend only what they earn are not 'austere' like some hair-shirt wearing penitent. They are following the only sensible long-term strategy available to them.

Some people are short-term thinkers who will borrow all they can to blow in a hedonistic orgy, they always ends up suffering because of it. Those who spend only what they earn are not 'austere' like some hair-shirt wearing penitent. They are following the only sensible long-term strategy available to them.

So, anyone who borrows to buy a house (even a 60% LTV, 2x income mortgage), or anyone who borrows to start a business, is a short term thinker, and not following a long term strategy?

Purely out of interest, do you know what the origin of the UK national debt was, and what the consequences of it were?

I've noticed how it has now become politically acceptable (fashionable?). Maybe it took a Greek-near-default to do it, up until then it was all theory. Now none of the politicians don't want it to happen to them.

The same thing may happen with housing. Once everyone knows someone (preferably famous) that has lost a packet on a house, no-one will want to buy one.

I remember 1997.

VMR.

Interesting comment. We may well be faced with austerity as an article of faith, if governments refuse to look at alternatives to policies that hit those with the lowest incomes hardest - for instance, the present increase in VAT, an indiscriminate tax which inflates prices at every level of production and distribution - with the rising cost of basic necessities eating deepest into the smallest wage packets.

Before we accept that we all deserve to suffer indiscriminately, there are a few questions that need to be asked.

Why have we been forced to increase an already over-sized national debt by borrowing billions more to bail out delinquent banks?

When are we going to start asking whether a national debt is necessary in first place?

When are banks going to be denied the present huge public subsidy they enjoy for the privilege of creating the nation's entire non-cash money supply (97% of the total money stock) as a compound interest-bearing debt owed to themselves?

When are the benefits of non-cash money-creation going to belong, instead, to the nation - as the benefits of publicly-created notes and coins (now a mere 3% of the money supply) already are - these being sold to the banks at a small profit to the public exchequer, and (unlike bank-created "credit" money) entering into circulation free of any debt at source?

Why not postpone austerity measures until the reforms to the financial system suggested in The Bank of England (Creation of Currency) Bill 2010 (see http://www.bankofenglandact.co.uk/) have at least been tried?

If it is a religious cult

it is, its called the protestant work ethic, which picks up form the hair-shirted monasticism of the prior catholic age.

Some posters on here seem to get an almost sexual pleasure at the thought of the pain austerity will impose on others.

Bit sad really .

True. I normally presume that a good number of these posters feel that they have failed in some way and would like to see everyone else come down to their level. Then I imagine there is a cadre of them who expect to gain personally (e.g. via HPC) but have not joined the dots on the danger economy wide austerity presents to their own income and security.

Guest happy?

"If Adolf Hitler flew in today

They'd send a limousine anyway..."

Sadly, Wee Georgie's claim to be heading for the black will in reality leave us in the red for years.

Guest happy?

If it is a religious cult then it has more than an tinge of S & M to it.

Bit sad really .

That's the sado-monetarists for you...

Britain's almost bankrupt and we can't afford to go on like this [unless my rich friends pay their fair share, which of course they're not going to do]