House Price Crash Forum
guitarman001

Itv News Live - Parasites Coming Out

I'm just on ITV news live - found out the personal allowance threshold will take effect next April.

Still confused as to what the average state pension is now...?

Anyway - the majority of the questions are about housing benefit and child benefit! It would be hilarious if it weren't true - greedy spongers the lot of them.

And did anybody see the three famiies on ITV news that they are tracking? One woman concerned about child benefit - the other concerned about the second home she bought as an investment. NEVER would have guessed it to look at her - you get all types...

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

This is the problem. All the spongers at the bottom end and all the rich **** at the top are the first to squeal, as soon as any of their finances are to affected. Us HPC'ers do nothing!

We are the silent majority!

Sucks being the silent middle majority.

Check out this comment.......!

I run a letting agent and look after 55 private landlords covering 200 houses, all of my tenants are on housing benefit, when is housing benefit cuts going to come into effect and will it be for new claims only or will existing tenants have their benefit cut. my tenants can not afford the top up rent payments they have to make now and the landlords can not cut the rent as they all pay mortgages, it took me a long time to persuade these landlords to take unemployed people on housing benefit and i fear we could end up putting alot of unemployed people out of their homes, i need some info to tell my landords and re assure my tenants, can you help?

HB limited to £400 per week :huh:

Should be per month, due to low interest rates helping everyone :ph34r:

Anyway - the majority of the questions are about housing benefit and child benefit! It would be hilarious if it weren't true - greedy spongers the lot of them.

Seeing as the majority of problems our society faces are actually symptoms of over production and over consumption, why are these people spongers?

Seeing as the majority of problems our society faces are actually symptoms of over production and over consumption, why are these people spongers?

totally agree, too many rabid posters

I'm just on ITV news live - found out the personal allowance threshold will take effect next April.

Still confused as to what the average state pension is now...?

And did anybody see the three famiies on ITV news that they are tracking? One woman concerned about child benefit - the other concerned about the second home she bought as an investment. NEVER would have guessed it to look at her - you get all types...

Yeah, they all had private jets and 3rd homes in Dubai.

I run a letting agent and look after 55 private landlords covering 200 houses, all of my tenants are on housing benefit, when is housing benefit cuts going to come into effect and will it be for new claims only or will existing tenants have their benefit cut. my tenants can not afford the top up rent payments they have to make now and the landlords can not cut the rent as they all pay mortgages, it took me a long time to persuade these landlords to take unemployed people on housing benefit and i fear we could end up putting alot of unemployed people out of their homes, i need some info to tell my landords and re assure my tenants, can you help?

This is really the problem the uk faces, its economy cannot function because of extreme costs of living making it completely uncompetitive forcing further govt debt to survive, it will ultimately collapse on this path. But costs cant be reduced without collapsing it due to the extreme debt levels that exist and need to be serviced in order to avoid it collapsing. Its circular and ultimately the only solution to the extreme malinvestment is debt default , there is no other end game. The Ukis fooked, it is just a case of the clock running out and i think 2011/12/13 are still the most likely periods of phase 2 when fundamentals that started cracking in phase 1 ultimately collapse under the strain

I hadn't noticed much over-production in our society; I agree on the over-consumption :)

It's not a question of whether they're spongers, it's a question of how we can organise things so they can create the wealth they consume, instead of continually borrowing off the Chinese to pay the Chinese to do it.

In the meantime, the real spongers are the landlords and the banks, as indicated in guitarman001's post. The Catch-22 is that letting the banks go, imposes costs on us all.

If we are a rich country, everyone can pay their own way, comfortably, without suckling on the teat of benefits and credits.

Should be per month, due to low interest rates helping everyone :ph34r:

What you are forgetting is that the dear banks have always charged a good deal more for BTL mortgages and still do even on their variable rates for them. So the letting agent will not have LL's with trackers at 1.5-2.5%. The squeeze on rents is on. Lots of people will have problems where their rents do not fit HB rates now . But it is right to stop HB for rediculous sums that private renters cannot afford.

Yes I have some info for him but it will cost him £500 non-returnable deposit plus a £100 processing charge. I have to make my money somehow, couldn't go around giving away my 'knowledge and expertise' for free. :lol:

Yes I have some info for him but it will cost him £500 non-returnable deposit plus a £100 processing charge. I have to make my money somehow, couldn't go around giving away my 'knowledge and expertise' for free. :lol:

BRILLIANT! I'm impressed. Wish I'd thought of it first - :P

I hadn't noticed much over-production in our society; I agree on the over-consumption :)

It's not a question of whether they're spongers, it's a question of how we can organise things so they can create the wealth they consume, instead of continually borrowing off the Chinese to pay the Chinese to do it.

In the meantime, the real spongers are the landlords and the banks, as indicated in guitarman001's post. The Catch-22 is that letting the banks go, imposes costs on us all.

I don't see any shortages when I'm in the supermarket. Our governments impose production quotas on farms. The Idea of full employment is part of an arcane economic doctrine.

I do feel sorry for the agent - I think he can see the writing on the wall for himself too. His future is going to be divided between harassed, miserable tenants and grasping, desperate landords. :(

I don't see any shortages when I'm in the supermarket. Our governments impose production quotas on farms. The Idea of full employment is part of an arcane economic doctrine.

There's no shortage of goods or of consumption; there's a shortage of domestic production. Hence the trade deficit, and ultimately the ruinous credit imbalance that's built up.

The idea of exporting our employment wholesale is also part of an arcane economic doctrine, which could be called Global-Mercantilism or beggar-thy-customer.

If we are a rich country, everyone can pay their own way, comfortably, without suckling on the teat of benefits and credits.

People keep saying "we're a rich country so we should be able to afford this or that."

But I dunno, huge numbers of us probably have a lower net worth than the average Vietnamese peasant.

I hope that`s got some kind of `London weighting` factored in.

£400 per week (£1600 pcm) will get you 5 bedrooms

Mentioned elsewhere but actually the bigger change is that HB is now going to be calculated based on the 30th percentile and not the 50th.

The £400 p/w cap will hit the relatively few in larger houses in more expensive areas. The change in basis will significantly cut the amount of benefit claimable for all claimants and will move them out of average houses and into the cheapest ones.

Guest sillybear2

What you are forgetting is that the dear banks have always charged a good deal more for BTL mortgages and still do even on their variable rates for them. So the letting agent will not have LL's with trackers at 1.5-2.5%. The squeeze on rents is on. Lots of people will have problems where their rents do not fit HB rates now . But it is right to stop HB for rediculous sums that private renters cannot afford.

So the government now exists to bail out over-leveraged BTL investors (again) via housing benefit.

Also, a lot of 5-bedroomed properties are so pricey because Mr Singh / Gupta / Ali wants to extract as much HMO value as possible. <_<

could we have a link to evidence that people of this or similar surnames are disproportionate BTL speculators please?

or is this more ill informed knee jerk brain spasms from someone for whom life has really not worked out as well as they hoped and would like someone foreign looking to blame for it?

HB limited to £400 per week :huh:

This is quite fascinating, as it will have some interesting local impacts in parts of the Country.

Certainly I can't see many families on housing benefit carrying on living in 4 bed private sector homes in Surrey without making up the difference, though there are a few cheaper properties, as per this right move link:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^61324&maxPrice=1600&minBedrooms=4

There's no shortage of goods or of consumption; there's a shortage of domestic production. Hence the trade deficit, and ultimately the ruinous credit imbalance that's built up.

The idea of exporting our employment wholesale is also part of an arcane economic doctrine, which could be called Global-Mercantilism or beggar-thy-customer.

Yes. Debt pushes up the cost of living to the point where it's cheaper to have stuff made thousands of mile away. We are left with an economy which doesn't function as an economy (to provide the material needs of the people), instead we have an economy based around the industry of debt.

If only that was true. The fact is wages are so low that the poorest can't live on what they earn not only that there are not enough jobs to employ everyone. If unemployment is necessary then why not pay people properly for being unemployed.

There is a direct link between how educated we are to how wealthy we are as a country. An alarming fact when you consider that the Tories are cutting university education.

Unless this country adopts a progressive left policy then I'm afraid we are all doomed for poverty.

If only that was true. The fact is wages are so low that the poorest can't live on what they earn not only that there are not enough jobs to employ everyone. If unemployment is necessary then why not pay people properly for being unemployed.

There is a direct link between how educated we are to how wealthy we are as a country. An alarming fact when you consider that the Tories are cutting university education.

Unless this country adopts a progressive left policy then I'm afraid we are all doomed for poverty.

I think that Money Spinner is making a slightly different point here: if we are a rich country, then most of our citizens should be able to make their own way in life. And if they can't, then we are not a rich country, and should act accordingly (scrap Trident, ...)