House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick It Down

Hot Offices

Modern, "air conditioned" offices seem to be the worst for stifling conditions. Mine this morning was consistently between 28c-31c, fans and stand-alone air con units are proliferating and I'm sure it won't be too long before someone trips on one and HR ban them. Had to take the afternoon off it was that bad, sure it's fine for all the scantily clad females but for guys it's hellish in trousers and shirt and tie.

Any ideas for how to put up with these conditions as it's likely to be this way all week? One trick I have found is cold, wet paper towels around your wrists and on back of neck, but you'd look a bit daft. I'm toying with the idea of buying a sack of ice cubes and a bucket tomorrow in order to place them on my desk, I really can't tolerate heat like that.

Guest X-QUORK

Modern, "air conditioned" offices seem to be the worst for stifling conditions. Mine this morning was consistently between 28c-31c, fans and stand-alone air con units are proliferating and I'm sure it won't be too long before someone trips on one and HR ban them. Had to take the afternoon off it was that bad, sure it's fine for all the scantily clad females but for guys it's hellish in trousers and shirt and tie.

Any ideas for how to put up with these conditions as it's likely to be this way all week? One trick I have found is cold, wet paper towels around your wrists and on back of neck, but you'd look a bit daft. I'm toying with the idea of buying a sack of ice cubes and a bucket tomorrow in order to place them on my desk, I really can't tolerate heat like that.

I'm with you on this one, nothing worse than a baking hot office to turn one into a grouchy SOB. Surely employers have a duty of care not to inflict heatstroke on employees?

I'm with you on this one, nothing worse than a baking hot office to turn one into a grouchy SOB. Surely employers have a duty of care not to inflict heatstroke on employees?

There is only a minimum temp in the UK ofr workplaces. The maximum is very wooly. Think they use the word 'reasonable' over and over again. However the minimum is an actual value.

This problem is one that can be caused by birds a lot. They seem to like to work in an oven !!??

I have threatened to strip off to my pants before. Seems to do the trick. A cooler than average is better than a warmer than average office. At least you can put on a top to do something about it.

Hate hot offices. Nearly as much as I hate hot buses. On one last week. Was mid morning and already about 19C (Yes in Jockland !!) This driver had the heating on full.............

Guest Noodle

There is only a minimum temp in the UK ofr workplaces. The maximum is very wooly. Think they use the word 'reasonable' over and over again. However the minimum is an actual value.

This problem is one that can be caused by birds a lot. They seem to like to work in an oven !!??

I have threatened to strip off to my pants before. Seems to do the trick. A cooler than average is better than a warmer than average office. At least you can put on a top to do something about it.

Hate hot offices. Nearly as much as I hate hot buses. On one last week. Was mid morning and already about 19C (Yes in Jockland !!) This driver had the heating on full.............

Well it's not so much the heat in my office, which routinely hits a heat index of 50C, it's the damn fans blowing paper everywhere.

The room is too big and open to air-condition, it's about 850 square feet with vent bricks all over the place.

Guest Skinty

What I cannot stand is someone who has their desk fan rotating.

Every few seconds a wisp of air blows over you and distracts you while they have a constant temperature.

The opposite problem exists in a lot of places I have worked (especially QLD and Singapore) the offices are absolutely freezing, the cooling costs must be astronomical. Walking out in to the street is like being pushed in to warm marmite .... erm ..... err.... in that it is hot and makes you ill.

What I cannot stand is someone who has their desk fan rotating.

:blink::lol:

I keep my office at a comfortable 28C, when ambient is 30-31C. Shorts. T-shirt and socks optional. No shoes, ever.

just take your clothes off and wrap a tie around your **** - job done !!!

perfect for that busy summer meeting.

Modern, air conditioned offices tend not to have windows :unsure:

This office has plenty of windows and doors, we built it ourselves. The A/C only gets turned on once a year when the engineer comes to clean / service it.

splash out on some expensive shirts either with a high tech cooling fabric or high quality cotton

and also good wool or cotton trousers

avoid polyester shirts and cheap suits etc

for two seconds I thought we might work in the same office until the 'females' bit, I think the beasts we have here are an insult to the work female.

Does anyone have any 'totty' in their office?

for two seconds I thought we might work in the same office until the 'females' bit, I think the beasts we have here are an insult to the work female.

Does anyone have any 'totty' in their office?

Only the wife, but do have windows. Lovely temperature and no boss (except the wife of course).

Hated hot offices. It was a small part of the reason I left London.

When I worked in a big open plan office nearly all the men had fans on their desks and nearly all the women had fan heaters under them. There is a real difference between the sexes, women do like it hotter.

Guest Noodle

Hated hot offices. It was a small part of the reason I left London.

When I worked in a big open plan office nearly all the men had fans on their desks and nearly all the women had fan heaters under them. There is a real difference between the sexes, women do like it hotter.

:unsure:

How small? Are we talking millimetres or microns here?

Guest Noodle

More than a smidgen but not quite as much as a tad.

About a couple of thou then?

Project demobilising so to consolidate the staff we moved floors 2 weeks ago down to the engineers.

Quite a few ladies in our department and in true Spanish style, dressing for summer B)

Cut a long story short, I've now a stinking cold due to the fluctuations in room temperature. Achoo.

Guest X-QUORK

Women have thinner blood than us fellas, that's why they feel the cold more.

Fascinating creatures.

Hot 'offices'?

Pah. Try hard manual labour wearing chemical resistant rubber suits.

Thankfully I don't do that job anymore, but this thread did make me chuckle.

Guest X-QUORK

Hot 'offices'?

Pah. Try hard manual labour wearing chemical resistant rubber suits.

Thankfully I don't do that job anymore, but this thread did make me chuckle.

You've made me feel gay and ashamed.