House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Anecdotal Chiswick

Saw a mate of mine last night who has been trying to sell his flat in Chiswick and buy somewhere bigger in the Chiswick or Acton area. He has all of the problems we have heard about, losing buyers for his place, putting in offers then getting cold feet and withdrawing on places that come to feel overpriced.

But the interesting bit for me was that he has been pitching offers at a minimum of 20% off asking price. I was curious as to whether he was treated with contempt by the EAs and he said they had all taken him seriously and in fact he had had a couple accepted at this kind of discount, although so far without proceeding. I found that quite heartening as I generally expect EAs to belittle anyone making a "silly" offer, especially round me in North London. Not earthshattering but quite encouraging, to me anyway...

S. :)

You should talk to Phil and Kirstie, they just managed to get a young crowd to pay £499k for a £575k property.

That's 13% off the asking price. Of course Phil still reckons it's a 575k house, even though the previous offer fell through at 510k.

Personally, I think they're fools to be buying now, the estate agent was quite clearly playing them.

But Phil and Kirstie just thought they we're getting a great deal (KA: If you don't buy it, I will)

Quite amusing (and sad) that they're taking this stance, ie you can get great discounts so there's never been a better time to buy.

That's the trouble with the VI's, they have to keep the pyramid scam going to keep their jobs.

That's all quite sad. But at least prices in Cheesewick are starting to fall quite nicely.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...cation+location

Edited by BandWagon

You should talk to Phil and Kirstie, they just managed to get a young crowd to pay £499k for a £575k property.

That's 13% off the asking price. Of course Phil still reckons it's a 575k house, even though the previous offer fell through at 510k.

Personally, I think they're fools to be buying now, the estate agent was quite clearly playing them.

But Phil and Kirstie just thought they we're getting a great deal (KA: If you don't buy it, I will)

Quite amusing (and sad) that they're taking this stance, ie you can get great discounts so there's never been a better time to buy.

That's the trouble with the VI's, they have to keep the pyramid scam going to keep their jobs.

That's all quite sad. But at least prices in Cheesewick are starting to fall quite nicely.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...cation+location

Before you buy in Chiswick make sure you think about the impact of the third runway at Heathrow. The noise map of the current situation here

http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static...lanDrawing5.pdf

shows that Chiswick isn't too bad for aircraft noise, but the next map showing the impact of the new runway shows Chiswick will be affected.

http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static...lanDrawing6.pdf

Richard.

Before you buy in Chiswick make sure you think about the impact of the third runway at Heathrow. The noise map of the current situation here

http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static...lanDrawing5.pdf

shows that Chiswick isn't too bad for aircraft noise, but the next map showing the impact of the new runway shows Chiswick will be affected.

http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static...lanDrawing6.pdf

Richard.

As you mention it, why aren't houses in Hounslow and Stanmore half price? There are houses in both places that have aircraft almost landing on their roofs day and night - anyone who thinks there are flight restrictions at Heathrow at night is living in cloud cuckoo land.

I live 30 miles from Heathrow and when we first moved here 15 years ago was astonished by the aircraft noise. (I grew up 2 miles north of Heathrow and never heard the planes as they almost always take off East-West). We seem to be under one of those stacks where they circle before going in to land. Some nights it goes on until 2.00 and starts up soon after 5.00 (its supposed to stop between midnight and 6.00). If you ring up to enquire/complain - which I did once - they tell you they are allowed a bit of flexibility to cater for emergencies, delays etc.

But anyway you can sit in some streets in Hounslow and have your ear-drums assaulted by a plane passing 50 feet above your head - every minute for several hours at a time (they do rotate which runways are used).

Why do the houses in those streets have any commercial value - another thing that baffles me. You'd have to pay me to live there but some people will pay 250k for a crappy 3 bed terraced house in what is a pretty ugly place.

Yes Bandwagon, I picked up on the Kirstie 'n Phil self delusionary double act. If it was a 575k house, why was the best offer 75 grand lower?

The only C4 person who's admiited to what's going on is Amanda Lamb, and that's on the Costa del crash.

The last series of property ladder only saw people making peanuts profit by getting mates/family to work for nothing; and they appeared to be forgetting legal fee/mortgage etc.

Loads of people I meet now in London are "in property" having seen the easy money days. Another sign of an impending crash?