Budget - Aren't We Going To Have A Thread

HOLA441
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

What a complete joke. Where is the pain they all kept speaking about?

Harriet Harbeatch is about to stand up and respond. THAT will be painful....

But +1 on the rest of it. F**k all big pain that I can really see, and not much that's going to reduce house prices - thereby bringing about REAL fairness.

What a load of sloblock that was.

But talking of sloblock.... heeeeeeere's Harriet :blink:

B

HOLA443

On CGT from the Telegraph's feed

13.26 Harry Wallop, Consumer Affairs Editor, says Mr Osborne's CGT measures will have reassured Telegraph readers. He says "The £10,100 threshold was kept. That was their major worry. This will protect majority of people with share portfolios.

Won't help the BTLers though.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Very dissapointed with CGT rise, and the £400 a WEEK for 4bed house housing benefit cap. Even the £250 per week for a 1-bed flat is a lot!

That a nationwide cap. The local limits will still apply. In Liverpool, for example, the maximum will still be 92 (1b) & 225 (5b).

(As per my other post) this limit only forces people to move from Central to Outer London.

tim

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

No increase in fags, booze or petrol.

F*ck it - I just put £97 of petrol in the car as a hedge. I never fill the damn thing up normally :angry:

B

Ah - but duty on Cider up 10%. WTF is that about?!

No need to put them up. They charge VAT on the duty, and they've put VAT up

HOLA4410

Restoring earning link for pensions AND guaranteed rises of at least 2.5%?!

With the size of the retiring baby boomer demographic about to retire and their wages far exceeding that of the jobs of the young they are being replaced with how the hell is he proposing to pay for this?

More unfunded promises.

Nothing changes.

Pathetic

:angry:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Harriet Harbeatch is about to stand up and respond. THAT will be painful....

But +1 on the rest of it. F**k all big pain that I can really see, and not much that's going to reduce house prices - thereby bringing about REAL fairness.

What a load of sloblock that was.

But talking of sloblock.... heeeeeeere's Harriet :blink:

B

Turned off. Im well hacked off with that. Bottled it.

Hes gonna keep paying hcild beno to the Rooneys, Beckhams and Ferdinands.

Hes not set a tax on empty property be it houses or shops.

Complete non event.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Ok - so someone put me right - my mates got 40+ BTL flats and always boasts he pays less tax than me (i.e says he pays himself around 15K a year to Mr Taxman) ....yet drives around in brand spanking TT, out every weekend , always buying top notch stuff. The properties he has are no where near £280 per week limit - I'm guessing he'll be ok, and I'm never gonna get to say 'told ya they'd fall' (well more like praying that prices would fall.......and yeah I am jealous of him !

HOLA4415

My conclusion: a non-event.

The lack of change is inversely proportional to the amount of rhetoric and dramatisation.

Typical modern politics.

Yup.

The largest costs in the benefit system is pensioners. - Rise in spending guaranteed in budget.

The largest costs in the NHS is pensioners. - Rise in spending guaranteed in budget.

How on earth is a balanced economy one where you attempt to tax the low paid or unemployed young to pay for the massively expanding pension state?

Feck it. When is the flight to Singapore?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

So, how does a flat rate 28% CGT with no indexation or taper relief compare top the previous 40% CGT with taper relief? Also need to factor in the housing benefit cuts to try and assess the impact for BTL'ers.

Bigger changes would feel better to most of us here......but sudden rapid changes can have undesirable consequencies. I see these two changes as useful disincentives to BTL which could be ramped up in future budgets.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

basically i reckon the tories said to the libdems something like

'look, we need you, but we don't need you that much. you can have two of the following four things:

1 - income tax threshold raised;

2 - a small increase in CGT;

3 - a further small increase in CGT; and

4 - restraint over VAT rises.

your choice, which is to be?'

Looks like the libdems went with 1 and 2...

HOLA4423

Tim, housing benefit benefits landlords (by putting a floor under rents) and penalises the working poor.

Yep and in most areas that floor is below the market rent for a decent property.

Where I am now, only scummy flats are available at HB rates

tim

HOLA4424

I don't think the Conservatives have a clue about just how serious the situation is. This budget did nothing to address anything at all.

Oh I think they do, but they prefer to play the inflation card.

HOLA4425