House Price Crash Forum
enrieb

Off With Their Heads, Public Sector Spongers

I though it would be good to document some of the news-stories that highlight the level of contempt for the taxpayer that senior public sector workers demonstrate with their lavish pay deals and extras. This guy earns £220k a year in the Northwest and gets a free car thrown in. If you live in the Northwest and earn almost quarter of a million pounds a year you can afford to buy your own car, just as nurses and firemen have to. You may say his pay is equvelant with someone in a similar position in the private sector, if that's the case he can ****** off and get a job in the private sector, I don't pay taxes for twats like this to live in luxury.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1259832_health_chiefs_who_get_top_cars_on_taxpayer

Health chiefs who get top cars on taxpayer

The taxpayer is footing a five-figure bill to lease luxury cars for health chiefs across Greater Manchester.

The news – which comes as local NHS bosses try to find nearly £1bn in savings – was branded ‘crazy’ by trade unions.

Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust is footing the bill for car-lease deals for three senior executives.

David Dalton, the £220,000-a-year chief executive, drives a BMW 525d SE saloon. It costs £8,584 a year to lease, paid in full by the trust.

His deputy Tony Whitfield, who earns £150,000 a year, has almost all of the £6,156 annual lease cost of his BMW 5-series paid for by the trust. And Dominic Lee – a director of the North-West Collaborative Commercial Agency, another NHS body – has a £4,785-a-year Mazda open-top sports car funded entirely by the Salford trust.

Meanwhile, Christine Green, chief executive of crisis-hit Tameside General Hospital, gets money for an Audi TT sports car as well as her £135,000-a-year salary. Director of finance Karen Brown, who earns £70,000 a year, drives an Audi A3 1.8, provided on a leasing scheme.

Edited by enrieb

Dominic Lee – a director of the North-West Collaborative Commercial Agency, another NHS body – has a £4,785-a-year Mazda open-top sports car funded entirely by the Salford trust.

Bizarre. Isn't Dominic normally a man's name?

I though it would be good to document some of the news-stories that highlight the level of contempt for the taxpayer that senior public sector workers demonstrate with their lavish pay deals and extras. This guy earns £220k a year in the Northwest and gets a free car thrown in. If you live in the Northwest and earn almost quarter of a million pounds a year you can afford to buy your own car, just as nurses and firemen have to. You may say his pay is equvelant with someone in a similar position in the private sector, if that's the case he can ****** off and get a job in the private sector, I don't pay taxes for twats like this to live in luxury.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1259832_health_chiefs_who_get_top_cars_on_taxpayer

What scum. You're right they should be strung up from lamp posts. Thye won't be though...they'll emerge from the cuts unscathed, ordinary people will pay the price in tax rises and cuts to services: they'll carry on zipping round in their Audi TT's.

What the fook does the North-West Collaborative Commercial Agency do?

Agents collaborative commercials, that's what. I hope they are diverse or I'll sue.

The unions have money. Why on earth don't they really campaign on these issues?

They could make a really good argument ... "Our members will NOT accept cuts while this nonsense continues. It goes on throughout the public sector. Managers earn fortunes and get perks while a pay freeze is imposed on the people at the bottom. When this person's salary is cut by 50% and his car is taken off him then, and ONLY THEN, will we talk about playing our part."

However, our unions are run by d i c k h e a d s on 100k and gold plated pension thrown in courtesy of their members.

Ahhh, it's enough to make you weep. It's everywhere.

These salaries have been boiling up for many years. Frankly, I would expect the chief exec job in the Northwest to still be sub £100k. In fact, I will here and now offer to do any of these jobs at 40% of their current salary. Please let them know everyone..... (oh... and I will buy my own car and pension as I do now)

Chances are that after a few months you would be able to do it! The gobledegook they write in the ads to make jobs sound complicated are just such rubbish. At the end of the day, it is a planning and bugetary responsibility job.

They could make a really good argument ... "Our members will NOT accept cuts while this nonsense continues. It goes on throughout the public sector. Managers earn fortunes and get perks while a pay freeze is imposed on the people at the bottom. When this person's salary is cut by 50% and his car is taken off him then, and ONLY THEN, will we talk about playing our part."

However, our unions are run by d i c k h e a d s on 100k and gold plated pension thrown in courtesy of their members.

You're right, it would be good if unions did campaign on these issues, but they too have been co-opted by the establishment, the main interest of unions leaders nowadays is maintaining the status quo and lining their owm pockets...just like politicians.

Bizarre. Isn't Dominic normally a man's name?

Presumably he / she manages to fit their 'collaborative commercial agency' responsibilities around their other job as a hairdresser! ;)

BTW, that's still not a great company car for someone of that pay grade in the scheeme of things!

Down here, if you work for the council for 5 years (iirc), you're intiled to a free company car. My mate got a brand new go faster nova or corsa (what ever they are), was probably £15k brand new even though he lives 5 minutes WALK from the office.

Cutting this type of privilge could easily save £400 per empolyee per month!

You're right, it would be good if unions did campaign on these issues, but they too have been co-opted by the establishment, the main interest of unions leaders nowadays is maintaining the status quo and lining their owm pockets...just like politicians.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sir-bills-union-successor-vetoes-acircpound63000-car-in-retirement-package-579641.html?cmp=ilc-n

Sir Bill's union successor vetoes £63,000 car in retirement package

another fine example of where union leaders interests lay,

I dont get how in a 30 second cursory glance at the internet i can find a lease for a 525d from under £5500 a year

http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/BMW_5_Series_Saloon-525d_4DR_SAL_30_SE-20240.htm

Why public sector bodies cant execute even the simplest of things to reduce costs is beyond me. Maybe if they exercised a little interest in their costs they wouldnt be worrying about their jobs.

BTW, that's still not a great company car for someone of that pay grade in the scheeme of things!

Down here, if you work for the council for 5 years (iirc), you're intiled to a free company car. My mate got a brand new go faster nova or corsa (what ever they are), was probably £15k brand new even though he lives 5 minutes WALK from the office.

Cutting this type of privilge could easily save £400 per empolyee per month!

Its only really the UK company cars are so common. Apparently caught on in the 70s due to penal income tax rates forcing companies to look at other ways of renumerating employees. I suspect people would expect a pay rise of £400 a month if you took their cars away.

Where do you think this guy came from? I bet he was recruited from private sector and is taking a paycut to do this job compared to what he was used to earning. I think people would be suprised at the amount of private sector staff moving into public sector positions and I believe they are the reason that the wage bill has escalated over the last decade or more. Its a great way to benefit from the pension schemes in my opinion and it was never designed for these big earners, it was supposed to be a fair system for all average workers. Don't blame public sector workers for abusing the system, most of them are on low or average pay and have not had it easy at all under Labour. Massive efficiency savings have already been made over the last decade.

The pension is a civilised scheme that all workers should be entitled to, especially given the money that has flowed through this country, it just so happens that in the public sector there is union representation to protect workers best interests and why not? By the way, all through the runup to this budget not a single bad word has been mentioned about the pension scheme that the Police enjoy, if anything that needs immediate review as its far too generous.

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

Nothing has changed in hundreds of years.

We still have rich kings and queens (public sector fat cats and MP's) creaming it off from the millions of peasants (Us!)

Doesn't scargill get free house and car expenses even though he is long retired?

How many of the others have written open cheques for themselves at the expense of union members?

David Dalton of Salford Royal Foundation NHS Trust has a Masters in Public Health Administration, or similar.

So I imagine he is an NHS lifer.

In addition to his salary and car he will receive a bonus for meeting NHS targets, like hand washing.

NHS Foundation Trusts have a Board of Directors to whom the CEO is answerable, supposedly.

There is another layer of supervision, but that only engages when the Trust is in financial trouble.

I agree that such people are overpaid, there are plenty who could and would do the job for half the money.