House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
muggle

Emergency Budget 2010

CAP all local authority Salaries at 66% of the lowest paid cabinet minister's salary and reduce LA subsidy accordingly.

Ban all first class and business travel for all government employees. Ban all "junkets" outside UK.

CGT at the same rate of IT for property related transactions.

Impose license fee at same rate as Solicitor's practising Certificates on all EAs upon passing proficiency and ethics examinations.

Double council tax for multiple homes that are not used for business purposes.

Cut 80% of Quangoes.

Move free bus passes to age 65.

Reduce hospital administrators by 70%.

Remove 50% top rate of tax.

Eliminate 50% of all speed cameras.

Dock Brown's pay and pension to pay off his part of the deficit.

I'd tax massively any ex-public servants earnings that they get cos of their former job (ie: everything the blairs do, and what mrs brown is writing now etc)

I was hoping for some sort of exhaustive poll where the UK electorate could demonstrate where they think the cuts should be made. Then I remembered that its a BBC site - and so we are faced with a childlike set of sliders that represent next to nothing and no results are stored or displayed.

May as well have a look at their cebeebies site - you can build a playground with bob the builder!!!

Or even more difficult, what would you be prepared to cut, or what taxes would you be prepared to increase, that would affect you personally?

It's easy to suggest things that affect other people but not quite so easy when it has a real impact on your own income or quality of life.

In all the debate about possible tax increases over the past few weeks I haven't heard anything about increasing the rates of income tax. Income tax is easily the biggest share of the total revenue raised (approx 153 billion in 2009/10?) and it appears fair to everyone, plus the system is already in place. Have the income tax rates become some sort of sacred cow?

.... it appears fair to everyone, ....

That's why the Tories will not touch it. Far better to try to pay off £155,000,000,000 by stopping a tenner a week out the dole money :D:D

Have the income tax rates become some sort of sacred cow?

The headline standard rate has become this, but higher rates, allowances and thresholds have not. I wonder why.

Edited by White Craw

I think the fairest way is to increase taxes on things where people have a choice.

What they are ? No idea. Fuel duty and similar are probably easy targets. Then again the definition of choice in these regards is not black or white.

What!

no choice to remove all taxes and spending and send george osbournes kidneys to the rocthschildmasonbergerss as payment in full?

edit - and in full comedy mode the beeb have spent a fortune changing the look of their site. Good job guys.

Edited by Injin