House Price Crash Forum
abdn

Stealth Cold War Bunker For Sale

mods please feel free to move - not sure if this is the place for this :unsure: (loads of other threads about hooses appear here so thought i'd give it a punt)

check this bad boy out

http://www-w.aspc.co.uk/cgi-bin/public/LiveProperty/281022?ID=ILIFAHCG#picture

you reckon this is privately owned or the start of a gov. firesale???

yours for £250k - how awesome is that!!!!

that's a good price. If I had a few bob I'd buy it. I think this is a regional command centre from the cold war. There is one near me at kelvedon hatch which has been turned into a visitors centre. There are also around 600 or 700 hundred nuclear observation posts dotted about normally comprising of 1 room about 10ft underground. They would have been used by the royal obseravtion corps to detect nuclear blasts and monitor fallout. I sneaked into one recently that I discovered in a farmers field, it look like it had been left in about 1985 as there was diary on the desk with the last entry around that date. Lots of interesting bits and bobs down including government issue toilet paper!

It is intriguing to consider what private use in this day and age such a vast underground facility could be utilised for

I can think of one.

Some suggestions have been a mushroom farm or a large wine store and if the site had been in a more accessible location it would have made a superb night club.

Yes, let's move it.

However this is when a purchaser will have the opportunity to exercise their flair and imagination!

HPC store of baked beans?

that's a good price. If I had a few bob I'd buy it. I think this is a regional command centre from the cold war. There is one near me at kelvedon hatch which has been turned into a visitors centre. There are also around 600 or 700 hundred nuclear observation posts dotted about normally comprising of 1 room about 10ft underground. They would have been used by the royal obseravtion corps to detect nuclear blasts and monitor fallout. I sneaked into one recently that I discovered in a farmers field, it look like it had been left in about 1985 as there was diary on the desk with the last entry around that date. Lots of interesting bits and bobs down including government issue toilet paper!

Did the diary entry read...

'Still waiting... ate the last of the baked beans this morning... down to the last loo roll. I wonder what happened to Cuba?...'

Really great property. Could be well used to store food and other valuables. I wonder if it has water/air treatment facilities etc?

Edited by Errol

I once managed a contract to pack the rations for those places. We then had a disaster with the pots of jam and honey, which hadn't been sealed properly, so I had to go to all the regional headquarters around the country and repack every box. Quite an exciting job for an 18-year old, esp. as I got to see inside these operational cold war facilities (this was in the early 1980s).

There was a main centre at Bath, Horsham, Lincoln, Preston, and Dundee. And there is a small 3-man post within six miles of every house in the country. More info here.

Looks nice. I could imagine myself sitting on the reinforced concrete verandah type thing with a shotgun, bottle of whisky and a large canine by my side awaiting the mutant trogladites approaching post apocalyse.

I once managed a contract to pack the rations for those places. We then had a disaster with the pots of jam and honey, which hadn't been sealed properly, so I had to go to all the regional headquarters around the country and repack every box. Quite an exciting job for an 18-year old, esp. as I got to see inside these operational cold war facilities (this was in the early 1980s).

There was a main centre at Bath, Horsham, Lincoln, Preston, and Dundee. And there is a small 3-man post within six miles of every house in the country. More info here.

I would have filled the pots with marmite - imagine their reaction when the World is ending and they open their pot of strawberry jam only to find marmite! Wreck their day!

That is pretty much my dream house. I'd buy it at that price HPC or no apart from the tiny snag of not having a quarter of a million pounds :(.

Did the diary entry read...

'Still waiting... ate the last of the baked beans this morning... down to the last loo roll. I wonder what happened to Cuba?...'

lol. No it was a bit later than that. It was very eerie though. Almost untouched by the looks of it, also it was in the middle of the night and it was pitch black down there! I'll post the pics on here later if anyone is interested.

it was the three man one that I went into.

Looking at the photo of the plant room I'd say it still has everything needed to survive off-grid and supply water/filtered air for a large number of people. Running costs might be another matter though.

Really great property. Could be well used to store food and other valuables. I wonder if it has water/air treatment facilities etc?

mods please feel free to move - not sure if this is the place for this :unsure: (loads of other threads about hooses appear here so thought i'd give it a punt)

check this bad boy out

http://www-w.aspc.co.uk/cgi-bin/public/LiveProperty/281022?ID=ILIFAHCG#picture

you reckon this is privately owned or the start of a gov. firesale???

yours for £250k - how awesome is that!!!!

Whats the point in buying this property it would only be sezied back in any serious national emergency and in todays climate we can't be far from one of those

Guest Noodle

HPC Headquarters? I like your thinking. ;)

That 9000 sq.ft bunker would be ideal for the 1960's steam driven servers.

Any takers? Anyone buying it?

That's really cheap, if only we had some money.

I wish. Seriously. :(

Guest Noodle

I wish. Seriously. :(

Yeah, me too actually.

It's not the bunker, which may likely be rotting, but the acreage and the location near the sea.

I could do a lovely garden in there.

Well you can't get a slavebox like that in London for £250,000

very true.... but with this place you could import your very own [Vietnamese]* slaves.... and get them to grow a wedge load of cannabis for your evil drugs empire..... diesel bills would be quite high... and i would imagine the locals might get a bit suss with the lorry loads of fertilizer required to fill the place :rolleyes:

asked the Mrs. if she'd like it but she reckons we don't really need it (strange lass.... who said anything about needing it - lol)

* Vietnamese : not being rude..... it's just because on the news when they raid town houses used for production there always seems to be a token Vietnamese or two left to carry the can (if you pardon the pun) :D