House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kingding

Stag Etiquette.

Just curious on opinions on this, I know a bloke who's mate is getting married quite soon and he's been invited on the stag do. The thing is the stag do is a week in Magaluf in the middle of the school holidays and the bloke would, quite frankly, rather pan-fry his own scrotum before being seen dead in a place like that on a good day. They are all in their thirties and reasonably well behaved except a couple of them, who,after a few beers are a complete liability. Added to this his missus is deeply unimpressed with the choice of location and has made it very clear that she doesn't want him to go either so all in all he's not best pleased. The real bugger is he's also one of the best men, the other being the guy who booked the stag without consultation while he was away which pissed him off a treat, the groom and most of the others have paid up already.

I hate the whole overseas stag do ******** personally but what do you reckon,bite the bullet? Also anyone had a similar experience?

Guest X-QUORK

Just curious on opinions on this, I know a bloke who's mate is getting married quite soon and he's been invited on the stag do. The thing is the stag do is a week in Magaluf in the middle of the school holidays and the bloke would, quite frankly, rather pan-fry his own scrotum before being seen dead in a place like that on a good day. They are all in their thirties and reasonably well behaved except a couple of them, who,after a few beers are a complete liability. Added to this his missus is deeply unimpressed with the choice of location and has made it very clear that she doesn't want him to go either so all in all he's not best pleased. The real bugger is he's also one of the best men, the other being the guy who booked the stag without consultation while he was away which pissed him off a treat, the groom and most of the others have paid up already.

I hate the whole overseas stag do ******** personally but what do you reckon,bite the bullet? Also anyone had a similar experience?

Erm, you have more than one best man these days?

I wouldn't go, and his wife would have every right to give him shit if he does decide to blow the family holiday fund on a week of pissing it up in some Med hell-hole.

Wedding event inflation, it's been even worse than HPI over the last 10 years. We went punting on my stag do, followed by a night on the piss in Oxford...a perfectly reasonable way to act like tw@ts without breaking the bank and causing marital breakdowns.

Go, get drunk. scuttle a slapper, spend the week pretending to be an England supporting lager lout from Dagenham. Come home, keep schtum, everyone happy.

Erm, you have more than one best man these days?

I wouldn't go, and his wife would have every right to give him shit if he does decide to blow the family holiday fund on a week of pissing it up in some Med hell-hole.

Wedding event inflation, it's been even worse than HPI over the last 10 years. We went punting on my stag do, followed by a night on the piss in Oxford...a perfectly reasonable way to act like tw@ts without breaking the bank and causing marital breakdowns.

Snap!

On my stag we started from one end of Cowley Road and made our way into town pub, by pub. I have no memory of events after The Turf...

Quality night.

Go, get drunk. scuttle a slapper, spend the week pretending to be an England supporting lager lout from Dagenham. Come home, keep schtum, everyone happy.

Thats the way.

As long as no one dies, gets aids or spends some time in jail its all good.

Go and try to enjoy it, you might be surprised how much you do.

Guest X-QUORK

Snap!

On my stag we started from one end of Cowley Road and made our way into town pub, by pub. I have no memory of events after The Turf...

Quality night.

Hah! We went the other way, started in St.Giles, via The Turf and then on to the Zodiac. My favourite night out other than Soho.

I have had a very similar situation. I just grew a pair and went along.

It was shit, but it wasn't for me.

Make a stand and organise a single night out for your mate, just you and him if it works that way, pub crawl as above sounds good. Don't go, you are just feeding this week away stag crap.

Thats the way.

As long as no one dies, gets aids or spends some time in jail its all good.

Go and try to enjoy it, you might be surprised how much you do.

Did you see The Hangover?

Although a lads hol abroad is amazing, you can still have bags of fun going somewhere in the uk for the weekend.

IMO it's the excitement of going somewhere different that makes it so good.

Hmm, let's see.

Spend money to go somewhere I really don't want to go, do stuff I really don't want to do and upset the missus, all out of some bizarre sense of misplaced loyalty.

Alternatively do something I can enjoy and not upset the missus.

Tough choice.

:rolleyes:

Guest X-QUORK

Hmm, let's see.

Spend money to go somewhere I really don't want to go, do stuff I really don't want to do and upset the missus, all out of some bizarre sense of misplaced loyalty.

Alternatively do something I can enjoy and not upset the missus.

Tough choice.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

All this cameraderie for your mates is such a 20-something phenomenon, by the time you get to 40 you don't give a shite what others think about your decision.

Guest theboltonfury

Recently went on a stag to Brussells. With a bunch of cockneys. Once I'd come to terms with that, we had a great laugh.

We literally drank the Eurostar dry.

I don't think I'd go, I'd explain it to the stag and hope he'd understand, he should do anyway. I went to Magaluf when I was 19 with the lads, at 29 I couldn't see me being there, It would depress the hell out of me. I don't know where I'd go for my stag do, as long as my mates were there I don't think I'd care if it was in my home town, it's just a p*ss up after all.

I can't believe the aspect of whether or not his missus would be happy is even being considered ohmy.gif

Grow a ******ing pair of balls !! Can you imagine if she had similar plans and the bloke said she couldn't go ?!

Some men need to get a grip. If you don't want to go then don't do it. Although you will probably have a good laugh if you do. However it is his wedding, his stag do so I would tend to just go along with it. You may enjoy it. Up to yourself.

If your bird has a problem* with this ? Divorce her ASAP. Sounds like a nightmare.

* Unless there is a real one like money worries or you are supposed to be having your family holiday at the same time or whatever.

Guest theboltonfury

I don't think I'd go, I'd explain it to the stag and hope he'd understand, he should do anyway. I went to Magaluf when I was 19 with the lads, at 29 I couldn't see me being there, It would depress the hell out of me. I don't know where I'd go for my stag do, as long as my mates were there I don't think I'd care if it was in my home town, it's just a p*ss up after all.

I went to Amsterdam, Got shat on by a flying pigeon. Some say that that was meant to be a lucky sign. Divorced 2 years later.

Guest X-QUORK

I went to Amsterdam, Got shat on by a flying pigeon. Some say that that was meant to be a lucky sign. Divorced 2 years later.

The same happened to my first wife in Geneva, we lasted another five unhappy years.

So if a pigeon shits on you - then you will get divorced ?

So what if it happens and you are not even married...does it mean you are about to meet the woman of your nightmares....unsure.gif

I can't believe the aspect of whether or not his missus would be happy is even being considered ohmy.gif

If it's for something he doesn't want to do anyway, I believe it is relevant.

Why make waves unless it's for something you want?

Guest theboltonfury

So if a pigeon shits on you - then you will get divorced ?

So what if it happens and you are not even married...does it mean you are about to meet the woman of your nightmares....unsure.gif

Well, I was subsequently shat on by another pigeon about 5 years ago, just before meeting my current girlfriend. To be fair, she gives me very little grief, gave me a lovely son and encourages me to get out with my mates in Amsterdam. That to me, is a result.

It;s not all bad.

I hate the trend of having Stag Dos abroad. Bad enough that nearly all weddings I know of are also abroad but the stag do, come on FFS, people shouldn't have to spend that much for the groom to be's day.

Magaluf? Why is she so pissed off? Traditional places like Amsterdam and Prague are easy to score pussy if you want to. So why she casres about Magaluf?

Guest theboltonfury

I hate the trend of having Stag Dos abroad. Bad enough that nearly all weddings I know of are also abroad but the stag do, come on FFS, people shouldn't have to spend that much for the groom to be's day.

Magaluf? Why is she so pissed off? Traditional places like Amsterdam and Prague are easy to score pussy if you want to. So why she casres about Magaluf?

Good point. A stag do used to be a night out. Then a weekend away, then a citibreak, then Vegas or San Fran. Now a full week on the lash.

To top it all, many now want to get people to follow them to the Caribbean or wherever else. Have they any idea how much this charade costs.

Fair enough, if you want to spend 20k on a day, your choice. But don't expect me to sopend 5k, just to watch.

Good point. A stag do used to be a night out. Then a weekend away, then a citibreak, then Vegas or San Fran. Now a full week on the lash.

To top it all, many now want to get people to follow them to the Caribbean or wherever else. Have they any idea how much this charade costs.

Fair enough, if you want to spend 20k on a day, your choice. But don't expect me to sopend 5k, just to watch.

On the other hand - some trips to Europe are actually cheaper (£30 flights etc) - more importantly it is an opportunity for many to get in another, very rare, lads holiday with a very good excuse. The fact it is a stag do is just convenient, it is really just a holiday that most partners can't complain about too much ...."I don;t want to go love, but I'm his best mate"

A week-long trip abroad is not a stag do; it's a holiday. I think you'd be quite entitled to not go. Last week I heard of a groom that wanted to have his stag party in either Goa or Las Vegas. Personally I think it's incredibly rude to impose that on your mates, especially when they'll be paying for the groom too. As far as I'm concerned a stag do shouldn't cost more than about £200 each. I'm noticing an increasing level of dissent from friends who feel put upon to shell out for mindlessly expensive stag and hen dos. Increasingly people are turning down these stupid events which is a real shame for everyone.

I know someone who got married last month and had two best men. First time I'd heard of such a thing.