House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Extremely Rare Day Down For F T S E

FTSE 100 5273.51-0.48%

The news has been nothing but grim as stocks have had long runs into positive territory. Savers desperate for some kind of return. Over optimism for next year due to old growth data. Apparent passing of EZ meltdown.

Fundamentals all look negative bar one: The Yuan but now that is apparently falling vs. the dollar.

I am about 3-4% in stocks are have no plans for going anywhere near them for a long time. Anyone else thinking its all going to come tumbling down this side of Autumn?

FTSE 100 5273.51-0.48%

The news has been nothing but grim as stocks have had long runs into positive territory. Savers desperate for some kind of return. Over optimism for next year due to old growth data. Apparent passing of EZ meltdown.

Fundamentals all look negative bar one: The Yuan but now that is apparently falling vs. the dollar.

I am about 3-4% in stocks are have no plans for going anywhere near them for a long time. Anyone else thinking its all going to come tumbling down this side of Autumn?

Slashing spending when there is a recovery with all the resiliance of cracked bone china is going to restart the recession in full force. I suspect that the markets are just starting to price this in.

FTSE 100 5273.51-0.48%

Oh big news, the stock market goes down. Give it up RB.

The news is that market will gradually, over a couple more weeks head up to 5500/5600 then fall to c 4500 by the end of the Summer/Autumn. There. you don't have to clog the system any more.

How's that gold forecast working for you?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/World-stocks-down-as-Europe-apf-3521732329.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

World stock markets mostly down as Europe woes overshadow China's yuan move
Alex Kennedy, Associated Press Writer, On Tuesday June 22, 2010, 4:25 am
SINGAPORE (
AP
) -- World stock markets mostly fell Tuesday as renewed concern about
Europe's debt crisis overshadowed the initial enthusiasm over China's decision to let its currency rise.
Investor sentiment was undermined after
Fitch downgraded its debt rating on BNP Paribas SA -- the largest bank in the eurozone
by deposits -- by one notch Monday, reviving worries that Europe's sovereign debt mountain will slow growth and undermine the financial system. Fitch slashed BNP's long-term rating to AA-minus from AA on deteriorating asset quality.
A fall on Wall Street overnight also dampened the mood in Asia. The Dow Jones industrial average gave up earlier gains that were triggered by China's move to loosen the yuan's two-year-old peg to the dollar.

It sounds like a lot of straw grasping has been going on as the markets have wanted the woes to go away without any austerity or pain for the last decade of madness. If the largest bank in the EZ has just been downgraded it seems that the poisons have nowhere near all hatched out of the mud.

Slashing spending when there is a recovery with all the resiliance of cracked bone china is going to restart the recession in full force. I suspect that the markets are just starting to price this in.

This fake recovery has been largely a manipulation of markets by central governments through measures such as quantitative easing.

Whenever a nation runs up a sizeable debt they are at risk of the GDP dropping unexpectedly and the debt to GDP ratio spinning out of control.

Hells teeth, as a nation we are using a "credit card" to pay the interest on that same "credit card". Doing this as smart men in their fifties on behalf of the nation rather than as dopey teenagers with a real credit card doesn't make it any more credible.

This either comes to an end with an Icelandic/ Argentinian experience of the IMF and sovereign default or we turn away from it by paying our debts gradually through austerity. Pretending that there is a "nice" way out of this mess is just daft.

Edited by Alastair

FTSE 100 5220.61-1.48%

Nervousness ahead of Ozzy getting up to speak.

BTLers must be seeping uncongenial odours about now.

Edit

FTSE 100 5212.71-1.63%

free fall--look at charts

Edited by Realistbear

FTSE 100 5237.60-1.16%

yawn reaction

Markets like it--FTSE may see an up day by t'close:

FTSE 100 5237.60-1.16%

Edited by Realistbear

Market might be having fourth, fifth thoughts about it as FTSE is going back down (very surprising) and the pound is recovering strongly:

FTSE 100 5235.15-1.23%

1 GBP = 1.47898

Gold did well: 1236.40 +2.80 +0.23%

Market might be having fourth, fifth thoughts about it as FTSE is going back down (very surprising) and the pound is recovering strongly:

FTSE 100 5235.15-1.23%

1 GBP = 1.47898

Gold did well: 1236.40 +2.80 +0.23%

Dollar collapsing now. Smashed for six. Even the euro is resuming it's march against the poor greenback. I pity anyone who didn't get out of the dollar whilst they could..........

Dollar collapsing now. Smashed for six. Even the euro is resuming it's march against the poor greenback. I pity anyone who didn't get out of the dollar whilst they could..........

1.22907 from a high today of 1.2394. Euro still weak over concerns about sovereign debt and weak banking sector.

Pound is soaring on the back of the probability of the HPI ponzi continuing for awhile longer. The speculators abd BTLers are safe for awhile. Too much VI among MPs for us to have thought they would actually do anything to stop inflation in that sector. HPI is simply too big to fail. The pound is linked to HPI in many ways as the market always moves up when an EA or VI announces another month of increases in asking prices.

We are still on dangerous sandy ground and I fear Ozzy has missed an opportunity to kill the monster that got us where we are today: HPI.

Looks like we may end the day in positive territory now that houses are safe:

FTSE 100 5245.43-1.01% from 1.20% down as budget speech wound down.

Edit:

FTSE 100 5242.70-1.06%

Hmm, seems there is no trend here that would say the market is pleased. Perhaps still trying to digest the figures.

Edited by Realistbear

BP is having a bad sailing day.

Who's tempted now?

Looking at these small volume trades they all look like panicked private investors/Day Traders. What I want to know is who's buying? Somebody is.

bp2206.jpg

RealistBear what are you on about? Extremely rare day down? The FTSE has been on a general down-trend for a while now and tanked just a year or two ago!

I hope it does go down as I'm shorting it - but I'm starting to doubt..... I need to get into the mindset of a dumb investor, as my trades are too logical based on what should happen rather than how people feel about things. It's like a reverse market.

Do you think the FTSE will rise or fall over the coming months?

EDIT - and I am tempted to buy BP. RBS took an even bigger hit and survived. It'll be a long-term investment, but what isn't?

Edited by guitarman001

BP hit lows for the oil-spill crisis (pre-market). Chart looks worse than Enron/Worldcom.

Edited by Errol

So that's a no-buy for you?

i wouldnt touch them below 3.50, (i highlighted before its a pivotal technical level which has been confirmed the last fortnight by the heavy volume and bulls and bears in a real tug of war around that price). As it happes it looks like the breakout on volume is going to be to the downside of it and that opens up much lower trading levels over the medium term

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

You're better of buying bank shares. At least that toxic waste can be removed by a few keystrokes by central banks.

Well, not so fast - they are no kamikazes... ;)

So what happened BP-wise for the shares to fall today?

Weather (I think) - depends what happens when there is a hurrcane in the Gulf - disruption to clean up, more problems at the well with the vessels, rather than the oil swirling round the Gulf it gets blown onto land or vapour/liquids get picked up by a storm and blown well inland.