House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Young Adults And The New World Of Work

I remember all those poor, mostly young, people sleeping in tents and under cardboard along the Embankment in london when Thatcher made cuts.

Of course, all the wealth from privatisations and reduced income tax wold 'trickle down' to such people. It never did. What they needed were jobs.

Slightly different now, jobs are still at the heart of the matter, but now we need a radical redistribution of wealth, from old to young, from South to North, from rich to poor.

Guest Noodle

I remember all those poor, mostly young, people sleeping in tents and under cardboard along the Embankment in london when Thatcher made cuts.

Of course, all the wealth from privatisations and reduced income tax wold 'trickle down' to such people. It never did. What they needed were jobs.

Slightly different now, jobs are still at the heart of the matter, but now we need a radical redistribution of wealth, from old to young, from South to North, from rich to poor.

A Labour government then. <_<

A Labour government then. <_<

Well no, over the last 13 years they did the oppostite of that .

Can argue with all this, but this bit always gets me. So by an accident of birth we are a world city in London closer to the continent and all that, no walls and no spiteful nationalist policies to stop free trade and anyone is welcome and yet somehow you want to forcibly move business away from the South.

It's been tried mate and look what a disaster it was for thirteen years and to add insult to injury apparently these 'deprived' areas that took billions of government subsidy are to get more with some startup breaks we aren't eligible for- you really couldn't make it up.

"We are spoilt..." "We know what we want..."

Things are hard for the youths but in time this all will pass...history tells us that....

homelessness, poverty,etc..will never be eradicated..forget that the only thing is this would not be so common but it was always there even during the so called boom times.

All through college and uni i had to hold a part time job to get by in here GB....NOT US of A ...was not easy I can tell you that.. The number of Fri's I could not go and get hammered like the rest of my peers simply because I had to hit my sales assistant job on a Sat and Sun ...hmm .. or the number of times I had to rush to my call center job after my last class during the weekday (2x a week) hmm double hmmm....also remember going into the bank to withdraw less than £4 from my account cause that's all I had...damn those days..but even with all that I had fun, in an affordable way and even partied at other unis.....but I learnt some valuable lessons which I took for granted but has served me well and it would serve these youths (some of them) well in future they just don't see it. now....hindsight is always a good thing ain't it...

You can't always have what you want even if you know what you want...alternatives may reduce the dissapointment though. Very few people have/get what they want etc.. Funny thing is when/if you evenetually get what you want..wtf ... you want more. it's a never ending circle really..

slightly tired today..just thought Ii respond to this interesting thread...even if my point is not so clear...

Can argue with all this, but this bit always gets me. So by an accident of birth we are a world city in London closer to the continent and all that, no walls and no spiteful nationalist policies to stop free trade and anyone is welcome and yet somehow you want to forcibly move business away from the South.

It's been tried mate and look what a disaster it was for thirteen years and to add insult to injury apparently these 'deprived' areas that took billions of government subsidy are to get more with some startup breaks we aren't eligible for- you really couldn't make it up.

nicely put

the best option for the regions is to be overspill for the south which does have population density issues

to this end the proposed high speed line linking up St.Pancras thru Brimingham to Manchester and Leeds encourages their use as hinterlands to the capital's economy - much as the fast line and good motorway thru Reading did so for the Thames Valley

that is already happening conditional on these cities maintaining bright business friendly policies - big city players (RBS, Barclays, Bank of NY [i think] ) having relevant back-office regional operations to save on London office costs. The problm with regional numptyism persists tho!

these things can't be forced, but since there is already a planning process to develop infrastucture within the SE then it makes sense to consider the national context - after all, who would have expected that pretty much the area from Norwich down even as far as Southampton could be considered part of the London economy come the 21st century...?

thoughts, greg?

Edited by Si1

It's been tried mate and look what a disaster it was for thirteen  years and to add insult to injury apparently  these 'deprived' areas that took billions of government subsidy are to get more with some startup breaks we aren't eligible for- you really couldn't make it up.

What should happen at this point is that more homes are built in and around London to house all the people it attracts. The green belt would go, the parks would go, and so would the gardens. Units would get smaller and smaller, the successful people would sell up and flee to the space available in the regions, taking their money and spending power, and the locals (and the imaginative contrarians who had already "moved west") would be waiting there somewhat impoverished and willing and able to meet their needs.

The problem is that every time anybody makes a rational choice these days, government is there to thwart their chances of success.

The only way to protect oneself is to do what the government does and profit by limiting the opportunities of others.