House Price Crash Forum

Somerset & Wiltshire Top Uk Happiness Index

OnionTerror

HOLA441

& those from Sheffield / South Yorkshire are the most miserable..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7840947/West-Country-folk-are-the-happiest-study-finds.html

According to Europe's first happiness map, men and woman in the region are most content with their lot in life, while people in industrial Sheffield and South Yorkshire are least happy.

The findings are based on an analysis of results from the Eurobarometer survey, an EU-funded poll for which people across western Europe were asked: "On the whole are you very satisfied, fairly satisfied, or not at all satisfied with life?"

Results were analysed for each nation and province. Across the continent, the most miserable region was found to be Auvergne, in the south of France, while the happiest was the Danish islands of Sjaelland, Lolland and Falster.

The survey was unusually large, with more than 6,000 people were questioned in the UK alone. The findings were analysed by Dr Adam Okulicz-Kozaryn of Harvard University, who said the study was the first of its kind.

"It is the first published research about life satisfaction and happiness across European provinces," he said.

"The aim was to show regional differences in life satisfaction. It shows that there are well-defined happiness clusters in Europe."

The researcher said that the UK was one of Europe's "happy countries" along with Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and western Germany. He said "unhappy" countries and regions included Portugal, southern Italy, central France and eastern Germany.

Just why is not clear, and the research was not intended to find causes. However, previous work by the same team of academics has suggested that in Anglo Saxon countries, life satisfaction is higher among people living in rural areas than among those living in cities.

The findings could have implications for healthcare because happiness has been associated with better health. In one study based on the long-term monitoring of around 200 men and women, being happy was found to have powerful effects on blood pressure, heart disease, and inflammation.

The heart rates of those classed as being the most happy were the lowest - 68.4 beats per minute, compared to 74 for the least happy. Happier people also showed lower inflammatory reactions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest Noodle

& those from Sheffield / South Yorkshire are the most miserable..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7840947/West-Country-folk-are-the-happiest-study-finds.html

According to Europe's first happiness map, men and woman in the region are most content with their lot in life, while people in industrial Sheffield and South Yorkshire are least happy.

The findings are based on an analysis of results from the Eurobarometer survey, an EU-funded poll for which people across western Europe were asked: "On the whole are you very satisfied, fairly satisfied, or not at all satisfied with life?"

Results were analysed for each nation and province. Across the continent, the most miserable region was found to be Auvergne, in the south of France, while the happiest was the Danish islands of Sjaelland, Lolland and Falster.

The survey was unusually large, with more than 6,000 people were questioned in the UK alone. The findings were analysed by Dr Adam Okulicz-Kozaryn of Harvard University, who said the study was the first of its kind.

"It is the first published research about life satisfaction and happiness across European provinces," he said.

"The aim was to show regional differences in life satisfaction. It shows that there are well-defined happiness clusters in Europe."

The researcher said that the UK was one of Europe's "happy countries" along with Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and western Germany. He said "unhappy" countries and regions included Portugal, southern Italy, central France and eastern Germany.

Just why is not clear, and the research was not intended to find causes. However, previous work by the same team of academics has suggested that in Anglo Saxon countries, life satisfaction is higher among people living in rural areas than among those living in cities.

The findings could have implications for healthcare because happiness has been associated with better health. In one study based on the long-term monitoring of around 200 men and women, being happy was found to have powerful effects on blood pressure, heart disease, and inflammation.

The heart rates of those classed as being the most happy were the lowest - 68.4 beats per minute, compared to 74 for the least happy. Happier people also showed lower inflammatory reactions.

Was this a long mental journey?

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Noodle

Id be interested in seeing number of immigrants in the area plotted against happiness. We all know theres loads in Sheffield and none in the West country.

:huh:

Pretty sure it has to do with environment, physical environment.

With the exception of Weston-super-Mare (although it does have it's charms), the West Country is by far the most wonderful place on this earth. By far.

Sheffield . . . isn't.

HOLA445

:huh:

Pretty sure it has to do with environment, physical environment.

With the exception of Weston-super-Mare (although it does have it's charms), the West Country is by far the most wonderful place on this earth. By far.

Sheffield . . . isn't.

It would be if it had a decent climate and sensible house prices, I agree.

But then I'm biased, what roots I have are there.

HOLA446
Guest Noodle

It would be if it had a decent climate and sensible house prices, I agree.

But then I'm biased, what roots I have are there.

Geez . . . even a mate thats a paramedic technician bought a 4 bed semi in WSM. <£150k. Big garden too.

Born and bred Zommerzet me, although I did attend elocution lessons to . . . lessen the twang.

I miss it. I am going home soon, come what may.

Oh, I miss the climate too, even the winters. I really miss all of it actually.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Noodle

I have to say that the West Country is a massively happier place than the elbow-crowded, f-you South East. Too many London *****ers are realising that, though, coming down here and economically cleansing the place.

Where are you? West Country's a fairly big place. WSM was popular with folk from Birmingham for a long time.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Where are you? West Country's a fairly big place. WSM was popular with folk from Birmingham for a long time.

Isn't Weston a favourite of the northern / London away day thug, who hang around to meet up with "firms" from both Bristol clubs & perhaps Cardiff? Perhaps its sensationalism, but the local media seem to like to cover such frivolity...Weymouth can also suffer the same fate at times..

There are council-run organisations, such as Into Somerset who are actively trying to attract city types down to Somerset..It claims that 20,000 move from the SE each year, down to Somerset....As with the rest of the south-west. Somerset does suffer from "second-house" syndrome. I've spoken to a fair few of ex-city types, and they think of nothing of spending a quarter of a million on a poxy 2-bed new build.

HOLA4411
Guest Noodle

Isn't Weston a favourite of the northern / London away day thug, who hang around to meet up with "firms" from both Bristol clubs & perhaps Cardiff? Perhaps its sensationalism, but the local media seem to like to cover such frivolity...Weymouth can also suffer the same fate at times..

There are council-run organisations, such as Into Somerset who are actively trying to attract city types down to Somerset..It claims that 20,000 move from the SE each year, down to Somerset....As with the rest of the south-west. Somerset does suffer from "second-house" syndrome. I've spoken to a fair few of ex-city types, and they think of nothing of spending a quarter of a million on a poxy 2-bed new build.

Look at it this way. No city types with money, no demand, no build, no flats.

Now. Strip away all that Monopoly money (that I believe is happening today with this budget) and no rich city types, no demand, lots of selling . . . but thankfully the dwellings were built.

WSM used to be the battle ground for all manner of hooligan elements down through the ages.

HOLA4412

Look at it this way. No city types with money, no demand, no build, no flats.

Now. Strip away all that Monopoly money (that I believe is happening today with this budget) and no rich city types, no demand, lots of selling . . . but thankfully the dwellings were built.

WSM used to be the battle ground for all manner of hooligan elements down through the ages.

Just got back from a weekend in Glastonbury, or 'Peckham on the Wolds', fabulous.

HOLA4413
Guest Noodle

Just got back from a weekend in Glastonbury, or 'Peckham on the Wolds', fabulous.

Did you clamber up the Tor?

The region needed lots of newcummers. It's sorting out the inbreeding issues.

HOLA4414

Did you clamber up the Tor?

The region needed lots of newcummers. It's sorting out the inbreeding issues.

Not this time, I am very put off by the inevitable bongo playing out of town tramp. There is another high point nearby which is very rewarding for the view, and most of all, the peace. I have a new game for the new meadows that have appeared round that way, in the morning after the dew, stand at the top of a meadow and slide down head first. VERY SATISFYING.

HOLA4415
Guest Noodle

Not this time, I am very put off by the inevitable bongo playing out of town tramp. There is another high point nearby which is very rewarding for the view, and most of all, the peace. I have a new game for the new meadows that have appeared round that way, in the morning after the dew, stand at the top of a meadow and slide down head first. VERY SATISFYING.

Oh don't, I'll be heading for the airport.

The West Country is a magical kingdom. King Arthur had a second home there and a few BTL new builds on the seafront at Portishead.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest X-QUORK

That has to be a capital offence...spelling Bridgwater with an "e".

The fact that they spell it incorrectly explains a lot.

HOLA4419
Guest Noodle

The fact that they spell it incorrectly explains a lot.

Do you remember the cellophane factory, the malodour that made Bridgwater a landmark?

HOLA4420
Guest X-QUORK

Do you remember the cellophane factory, the malodour that made Bridgwater a landmark?

God yes, though I didn't know it was a cellophane factory responsible...it was a sort of sulphurous farty smell as I recall.

HOLA4421
Guest Noodle

God yes, though I didn't know it was a cellophane factory responsible...it was a sort of sulphurous farty smell as I recall.

It was pungent. Guess it's closed *sigh* or proper sulphur scrubbers have been fitted with odour suppressant.

Anyone know if it's still there?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest X-QUORK

It would take a 5 square kilometre Brilo pad and a 10,000,000 gallon bucket of chloros to get the smell out of that place.

If anyone has that quantity of cleaning materials, it's you.

HOLA4425
Guest Noodle

If anyone has that quantity of cleaning materials, it's you.

I'll knock it down and dig it up if you want.

Only 25 mins from my place too.

Archived