HOLA441
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

It's at times like this that the lyrics of Nick Berry can provide comfort. I'm convinced he knew something

WE NEARLY MADE IT

WE NEARLY FOUND THE PERFECT COMBINATION

THE ROAD WAS RIGHT,WE MUST HAVE READ THE SIGNS WRONG

AND NOW IT'S ALL GONE

BUT IF WE'D MADE IT

COULD WE BE SURE THAT IT WAS FOR THE BETTER

WHO COULD SAY WE WOULD HAVE STAYED TOGETHER

NOTHING IS CERTAIN

IN A CHANGING WORLD

EVERY LOSER WINS

ONCE THE DREAM BEGINS

IN TIME YOU'LL SEE, FATE HOLDS THE KEY

AND EVERY LOSER KNOWS

THE LIGHT THE TUNNEL SHOWS

WILL SHINE ON YOU

AND ALL THOSE WHO KNEW

THAT WE COULD MAKE IT

BUT SUDDENLY WE SEEMED TO STOP AND LOSE OUR WAY

BUT DID IT REALLY MATTER ANYWAY

FOR THAT WAS YESTERDAY

AND WE MUST LIVE FOR NOW

EVERY LOSER WINS

ONCE THE DREAM BEGINS

IN TIME YOU'LL SEE, FATE HOLDS THE KEY

AND EVERY LOSER KNOWS

THE LIGHT THE TUNNEL SHOWS

WILL SHINE ON YOU

AND ALL THOSE WHO KNEW

THAT WE COULD MAKE IT

STAND UP AND COUNT ME

I KNOW YOUR ON MY SIDE

SHINE DOWN ON ME

AND THOSE WHO BELIEVE

THAT WE COULD MAKE IT

HOLA444

Wealth is a zero sum game. If someone loses, another becomes a winner. We cannot all be winners.

that is the most incorrect statement I have heard about the economy ever. congratulations.

HOLA445
Guest tbatst2000

I think this will be a historic budget that will be talked about for many years to come.

I hope you're right because, if it isn't, the UK is f*cked.

HOLA446
Guest tbatst2000

w@nker.

People like you are the main reason I rarely visit this site anymore. Wishing for affordable housing is one thing, wishing for societal collapse is another.

I don't see the OP wishing for collapse, some nice cleansing pain maybe, not the end of the world though. Besides which, collapse is more likely to come if the budget isn't quite spectacular; anything less and gilt yields will head north very rapidly and we all know where that leads to.

HOLA447
Guest tbatst2000

that is the most incorrect statement I have heard about the economy ever. congratulations.

Actually, right now, isn't it a negative sum game? :)

HOLA448

I don't see the OP wishing for collapse, some nice cleansing pain maybe, not the end of the world though. Besides which, collapse is more likely to come if the budget isn't quite spectacular; anything less and gilt yields will head north very rapidly and we all know where that leads to.

he might be generalising about society - maybe he means private sector workers will be able to afford the local members golf club again and not just doctors and senior policemen - society will never be the same again

HOLA449

Actually, right now, isn't it a negative sum game? smile.gif

appropriately regulated capitalism = positive sum game, maybe 3% per year growth

North Korea = perilously close to a negative sum game

HOLA4410
Guest tbatst2000

he might be generalising about society - maybe he means private sector workers will be able to afford the local members golf club again and not just doctors and senior policemen - society will never be the same again

Ugg, if it means I have to learn to play golf I recant my previous statements. A good walk ruined IMO.

HOLA4411

Ugg, if it means I have to learn to play golf I recant my previous statements. A good walk ruined IMO.

I'm a rambler myself so I agree

I give it 3 terms (if they get that far) till we are roundly sick of the tory scum in the golf clubs ;)

HOLA4412

w@nker.

People like you are the main reason I rarely visit this site anymore. Wishing for affordable housing is one thing, wishing for societal collapse is another.

You should save your venom for those who've arranged it so that we can't have one without the other.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest tbatst2000

appropriately regulated capitalism = positive sum game, maybe 3% per year growth

North Korea = perilously close to a negative sum game

Sure, I was having a laugh. Actually, the growth rate is currently +ve so I guess it's gone back to not being a -ve sum game again. I wonder how long that will last mind, I have a bad feeling that, whatever is done in the budget, there's a nasty second dip on the way for most of the world.

HOLA4415

Look, I've been dumped on by the housing boom just as much as anyone on here. That doesn't mean I actually wish pain on others just for the sake of it.

I hope things are made fairer, though I doubt it will happen, I certainly don't see a conservative government as a cure all.

The raw fact of the matter is you've been hurt and as a result you wish pain on others. I happen to think that is a really nast human trait. A common trait, but a nasty one none the less.

Who is wishing pain on others? I don't think anyone has actually said that!

Just because you want things to be fairer and to wipe the smirks off of other peoples' faces, does not mean I wish them pain!

If it's painful for them to work within the new tax rules, then it's simply because they are greedy, perhaps because things have been too easy for them the past 5+ years!

HOLA4416

I have to admit to not sleeping that well last night - cream crackered this morning... I feel like a man who has to use a rock hammer to dig a tunnel out of his cell and ten crawl half a mile through a pipe of you know what to get out... Hope is a good thing... I live in Hope..

If this does not happen today the disappointment will be such that I think I will go and live in that town in Mexico...

TMT in 'The Shawshank Redemption' mode.

HOLA4417

Oh shut up please!

For many of us the past 5+ years have been awful, watching gloating homeowners rave about how rich they are because their properties have at least doubled and sometimes tripled in value without lifting a finger, whilst going about and treating renters ( who in a lot of cases, work harder and include people like, doctors, accountants and lawyers) like scum! They sure took pleasure out of their luck and belittling others! So you are complaining if one or two of us have a moment of enjoyment whilst watching the budget tomorrow!?

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around ...you get the picture.

The Conservatives will make things fair again.

Amen Sister!

From a purely personal and selfish point of view, it's been claimed that the cost to the average earner will be around 1000 per year. Seeing as my house deposit fund is growing by 2000 per month, this is a cost I can easily bear if it means getting this countries finances back in check. We all have to tighten our belts, but no-ones going to go hungry. Quit your whining and suck it up, especially anyone who has benefitted from Labour largesse including, but not limited to, middle class tax credits, a well paying public sector job, having your appalling mortgage decisions bailed out by everyone else, etc etc etc

The Tories are about to make their second moves towards making Britain great again after 13 torrid years of Labour scum ruining everything. It's going to hurt a little, but we'll get through it :rolleyes:

The days of the BTL sheister are coming to an end, comrades. Affordable housing for anyone who's prepared to work hard and save!

HOLA4418

Over The Hedge........

Police Officer: Now you do realize that was a Depelter Turbo.

Gladys: Officer, please. This Verminator sold it to me.

Police Officer: Hey, hey, it was in your yard, your name's on the contract, so you can tell it to the judge.

Gladys: Oh please, it's not my fault, let go of me don't do this to me...

Police Officer: Ma'am...

Gladys: [yelling] You can't do this to me! I am president of the Homeowners Association!

As the Verminator says....

"Prepare for a lot of stinging"

HOLA4419

When it comes to the financial sector, which simply shifts capital from one employment to another, it is pretty zero-sum. Unless it also takes credit for all of the productive activity derived from that capital.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Amen Sister!

From a purely personal and selfish point of view, it's been claimed that the cost to the average earner will be around 1000 per year. Seeing as my house deposit fund is growing by 2000 per month, this is a cost I can easily bear if it means getting this countries finances back in check. We all have to tighten our belts, but no-ones going to go hungry. Quit your whining and suck it up, especially anyone who has benefitted from Labour largesse including, but not limited to, middle class tax credits, a well paying public sector job, having your appalling mortgage decisions bailed out by everyone else, etc etc etc

The Tories are about to make their second moves towards making Britain great again after 13 torrid years of Labour scum ruining everything. It's going to hurt a little, but we'll get through it :rolleyes:

The days of the BTL sheister are coming to an end, comrades. Affordable housing for anyone who's prepared to work hard and save!

Gain from 2 lots of personal allowance increase : £50/month (assuming it applies to NI as well)

Loss from loss of tax credits : £45/month.

I'm interested to see what they'll do about childcare. At the moment, there is a huge mess of nursery vouchers (6*2.5 hour sessions for over 3's), working tax credit, childcare element of tax credit and assorted salary sacrifice schemes. I'm just glad we are through the worst of this.

Personally not too bothered about increases in VAT since it's an optional tax.

HOLA4422

Sure, I was having a laugh. Actually, the growth rate is currently +ve so I guess it's gone back to not being a -ve sum game again. I wonder how long that will last mind, I have a bad feeling that, whatever is done in the budget, there's a nasty second dip on the way for most of the world.

If that is the case then we will no doubt start hearing that "the dip is a global phenomenon that started in Greece."

HOLA4423

When it comes to the financial sector, which simply shifts capital from one employment to another, it is pretty zero-sum. Unless it also takes credit for all of the productive activity derived from that capital.

and that is the 2nd most incorrect statement I have heard about the economy ever. nice try jimlad.

HOLA4424

and that is the 2nd most incorrect statement I have heard about the economy ever. nice try jimlad.

Fair enough. How about 'Past a certain size, the financial sector exerts a negative influence on the rest of the economy by means of diverting capital from productive employment into progressively more complicated financial products, and thereby becomes negative sum'?.

HOLA4425

Fair enough. How about 'Past a certain size, the financial sector exerts a negative influence on the rest of the economy by means of diverting capital from productive employment into progressively more complicated financial products, and thereby becomes negative sum'?.

if you include a sub-clause about currying power with the government by giving them directorships then you might be spot on...