House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Emsworth

Is My Landlord Being Difficult?

Long story - I'll write as briefly as possible.

I signed a 12 month AST towards the end of last year. There was no break clause ( I had my reasons!) I left the property after six months because I'd bought a house to live in. The landlord refused to end the tenancy or agree on a settlement, insisting I keep paying until the end of the contract. He then asked for access to the house so that he could decorate it in preparation for putting it on the market. He's now serving me with a section 21 notice so that I don't stay beyond the end of the tenancy! I would leave tomorrow if I could.

Is this standard practice or is he being difficult. Thanks for your help.

Yes I have, but now there has been another development.

As I said in the post above, my landlord has now served me with a section 21 notice. That hadn't happened when I originally posted, so I'm turning to this forum for some more advice.

As I said in the post above, my landlord has now served me with a section 21 notice. That hadn't happened when I originally posted, so I'm turning to this forum for some more advice.

The Section 21 notice is a formal notice telling you that you should leave as soon as your fixed term is up. It is normal practice for a landlord to issue such a notice if he doesn't want to continue the tenancy.

Section 21 only applies from the end of your fixed period so its a fairly standard thing, given you want out i wouldnt quibble the details of it.

Still wouldnt allow the a'hole access to decorate though, either let you go or leave you alone i say

Long story - I'll write as briefly as possible.

I signed a 12 month AST towards the end of last year. There was no break clause ( I had my reasons!) I left the property after six months because I'd bought a house to live in. The landlord refused to end the tenancy or agree on a settlement, insisting I keep paying until the end of the contract. He then asked for access to the house so that he could decorate it in preparation for putting it on the market. He's now serving me with a section 21 notice so that I don't stay beyond the end of the tenancy! I would leave tomorrow if I could.

Is this standard practice or is he being difficult. Thanks for your help.

I don't see how the Section 21 notice is material, since you have no intention of staying beyond the end of the lease. You're not losing anything by it.

Why not offer to let the landlord decorate in exchange for letting you out of the lease with 4 weeks or 6 weeks notice? If he refuses, then you should definitely not allow him access for decorating or showing new tenants.

Just get on with it, I'd say.

Outrageous of him to demand you pay for the entire term and then ask for access to redecorate, if he wants use of the property you can come to an arrangement and end the tenancy early. He's screwing you over because he can and expects a favour in exchange.

The worst landlord I've ever had tried this with me, I told them I'd be happy to end the tenancy earlier as I had requested and then they would have access all they wanted. He said no, so i said no. Ass4oles.