House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rolf

Getting Into A Mental Asylum, The Ultimate Benefits Cheating?

I've heard of some people commiting crimes to go to jail but what about trying to get into a nuthouse?

Surely there is a way to fake your way in and fool the psychiatrists? The danger is that you might never be released but if you find yourself a nice, open style place then it could be a good laugh?

What do you think?

I've heard of some people commiting crimes to go to jail but what about trying to get into a nuthouse?

Surely there is a way to fake your way in and fool the psychiatrists? The danger is that you might never be released but if you find yourself a nice, open style place then it could be a good laugh?

What do you think?

I think you've never been in a psychiatric unit before.

What do you think?

Probably best to watch

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

before you try it ;)

I think you've never been in a psychiatric unit before.

+1

I think Rolf has maybe been partaking of his local coffeehouse's products a little too liberally too.

What do you think?

Have you been watching Shutter Island?

Guest X-QUORK

What do you think?

I think this thread might be a sign of ADHD in the author.

What do you think?

:blink:

Try it. It's the ideal thing to combine with a dope habit....

Guest X-QUORK

:blink:

Try it. It's the ideal thing to combine with a dope habit....

Why is it called a habit when people smoke dope rather than drink booze?

Guest sillybear2

In one of Adam Curtis' documentaries (The Trap, I think) he described how "anti-psychiatrist" R.d. Laing and some researchers in the US sent a bunch of sane people to doctors in the US and told them to just describe that they heard the word "thud", nearly all were sectioned, fed strong drugs and diagnosed with all sorts of wonderful conditions, and they had trouble getting them out at the end of the experiment.

It's a nice idea (don't prisoners already try and do this?) but you might end up becoming a drug filled guinea pig for doctors looking for work :lol:

Looks like a normal, sane chap..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7843209/French-prisoner-killed-cellmate-and-ate-his-lung.html

NicolasCocaign_1662593c.jpg

A French prisoner killed his cellmate then sliced open his chest to remove and eat his heart, a court has heard.

Mr Cocaign allegedly sliced open Baudry's chest with a razor blade, removed a rib and pulled out an organ.

However, the man removed the wrong organ, and ate his lung by mistake.

Nicolas Cocaign, 39, appeared in court in the northern city of Rouen for allegedly killing Thierry Baudry in January 2007 by punching and kicking him, stabbing him with a pair of scissors and suffocating him with a rubbish bag.

Mr Cocaign then allegedly sliced open Baudry's chest with a razor blade, removed a rib and pulled out an organ which he believed was the man's heart, but which in fact was a lung.

He is accused of eating part of the lung raw and then frying the rest of it with some onions on a makeshift cooker in the cell in the Rouen prison.

"I wanted to take his soul," Mr Cocaign, who at the time of the crime was in custody awaiting trial for attempted armed robbery, allegedly told an investigating judge probing the case.

A verdict in the trial is expected on Thursday.

Guest sillybear2

"I wanted to take his soul,"

Rolf... meet your new cell mate. :ph34r:

I can never understand that either

The amount of my piss head friends who felt they could take the moral high ground with me because I smoked weed was ridiculous.

In my life I've met a good few people who've ruined their lives through booze and not one who's ******ed themselves up through the demon weed; I know it can and does happen but surely nothing remotely like as frequently as alcohol.

My mate smoked an ounce of dope and didn't eat for a week to make himself hallucinate. He was admitted, injected with the finest heavy grade antispychotics and had an inpatient stay for 3 weeks. Once out, he's had a flat, full monty benefits and aside from a few visits from OT/SW's never gets bothered.

He's classified as a full mentalist and can't spend the money quick enough. Drinks and smokes like a trooper, has massive TV, cable TV, computers, laptops, games consoles and grows his own weed in a bucket.

Job's a good un.

My mate smoked an ounce of dope and didn't eat for a week to make himself hallucinate. He was admitted, injected with the finest heavy grade antispychotics and had an inpatient stay for 3 weeks. Once out, he's had a flat, full monty benefits and aside from a few visits from OT/SW's never gets bothered.

He's classified as a full mentalist and can't spend the money quick enough. Drinks and smokes like a trooper, has massive TV, cable TV, computers, laptops, games consoles and grows his own weed in a bucket.

Job's a good un.

Doesn't sound to me like he was fully compos mentis before he smoked his ounce of weed (was this over the whole week or in one big fat session?) and starved himself for a week etc.

Maybe my view is twisted by LOST. Hurley has a great time in the mental institute.

As long as the others aren't violent, I could have a great time. Getting high on pharma drugs etc.

Better than jail.

Guest sillybear2

Maybe my view is twisted by LOST. Hurley has a great time in the mental institute.

As long as the others aren't violent, I could have a great time. Getting high on pharma drugs etc.

Better than jail.

Kind of like an extreme adventure holiday?

Doesn't sound to me like he was fully compos mentis before he smoked his ounce of weed (was this over the whole week or in one big fat session?) and starved himself for a week etc.

No he wasn't. It was only rocky (back in 93/4) and it was over a couple of days.

He also got to the point he thought the dope was keeping him sane, but did all the same things with alcohol as well some years later.

Better than jail.

Thought all the old-skool loony-bins were closed down in the 70's ( I have a family interest in this) on cost and embarrassing ineffectiveness grounds, and that was the start of the problem. You know, visibility, acknowledgement and so forth.

Apart from Rampton ( I knew some fine people who worked there), Carstairs and so on, everybody else apart from the gerries were tipped out into "Care" in the Community.

Previously everybody from post-natally-depressed housewives, young men obstinately avoiding marriage, terminal alcoholics, druggies (prior to the Heroin Storm in Scotchlandshire, addicts were treated, and supplied, in some cases, through their GP or something), spectrum disorder people, congenitally disabled, the suicidal, the perverted, the mildly depressed and the hopelessly senile were incarcerated without their consent ("... two policemen, and a man, a weila weila, wiela .. " ) in vast victorian nuthouses for the whitecoats to experiment on, Cuckoo's Nest style.

You couldn't get "signed in" to a loonybin nowadays without consuming the grilled flesh of a schoolchild in a shopping centre. Even then you'd probably just get an ASBO.

It's simply not a career choice.

So where does this thread actually make even tangential contact with life as we live it, right here, right now?

Guest sillybear2

Previously everybody from post-natally-depressed housewives, young men obstinately avoiding marriage, terminal alcoholics, druggies (prior to the Heroin Storm in Scotchlandshire, addicts were treated, and supplied, in some cases, through their GP or something), spectrum disorder people, congenitally disabled, the suicidal, the perverted, the mildly depressed and the hopelessly senile were incarcerated without their consent ("... two policemen, and a man, a weila weila, wiela .. " ) in vast victorian nuthouses for the whitecoats to experiment on, Cuckoo's Nest style.

I think you've just provided the best description of the composition of our Parliament yet.

No idea.

Just something in the language.

Why is it a flock of sheep, a herd of cows, and a murder of crows?

I've visited a few people who have been committed to psychiatric hospitals in London and the SE. These people are members of a support group for a neurological disease I have and all these cases were there against their wishes. We usually manage to get them out of there quickly and to a respite centre if we can. We usually get a Neurologist to help and get them released

They are usually committed because they are judged a danger to themselves or because they will not follow a course of treatment. One case was a woman who had a severe reaction to a prescription drug that made her delusional for a period of time. Far fewer are committed then in the 80's and the early 90's.

The hospitals I have been to are not suitable for ill or distressed people. They were all dark, cramped and uncomfortable with few facilities for patients. Our members who have been there have been drugged against their will. It's not pleasant for them and they become zombies. Some stop being able to speak or even think through a problem or be able to ask for her.

The other patients there are in the same state or worse. Some are violently psychotic or stalk visitors. I've seen an attack and been harrased. That's in the minority though as most patients appear to be drugged into the zombie state. It's quite frightening. Staff members usually are uncaring and often don't speak adequate english. The food is not fit for any reasonable period of time.

Guest Mrs Bradley

I've visited a few people who have been committed to psychiatric hospitals in London and the SE. These people are members of a support group for a neurological disease I have and all these cases were there against their wishes. We usually manage to get them out of there quickly and to a respite centre if we can. We usually get a Neurologist to help and get them released

They are usually committed because they are judged a danger to themselves or because they will not follow a course of treatment. One case was a woman who had a severe reaction to a prescription drug that made her delusional for a period of time. Far fewer are committed then in the 80's and the early 90's.

The hospitals I have been to are not suitable for ill or distressed people. They were all dark, cramped and uncomfortable with few facilities for patients. Our members who have been there have been drugged against their will. It's not pleasant for them and they become zombies. Some stop being able to speak or even think through a problem or be able to ask for her.

The other patients there are in the same state or worse. Some are violently psychotic or stalk visitors. I've seen an attack and been harrased. That's in the minority though as most patients appear to be drugged into the zombie state. It's quite frightening. Staff members usually are uncaring and often don't speak adequate english. The food is not fit for any reasonable period of time.

On that score I have a snippet to offer. Some 30 years ago, I - along with a couple of colleagues - was invited to see the new psychiatric wing in the local hospital, to gauge our reactions to the innovativerolleyes.gif changes which had been made by a interior design consultant ( on an eye-watering fee).

We were horrified. The colour scheme was such that it would depress the hell outa me, for starters: dull mustards and sludgy greens in carpets and upholstery, not a single item of bright or upbeat colouring. Mayhap some booby thought these ghastly colours would calm them.

If I'd designed it - which I'd have done for a much lower fee - it would have had splodges of bright primary colours to 'lift' the backgound of clear greens and blues.

Terrible waste of money, as everything was brand new and designer brand, but the colour scheme was appalling.

Probably is better than jail but imagine being in a place where:

1. You have virtually no rights at all

2. If you try to put your point of view across you`ll be dismissed as delusional.

3. You have no access to any electrical goods, such as PC (electrical cords can be used for hanging).

4. You have to deal with other patients.

5. On assessment days (the one chance you have to convince the board you`re well enough to leave) there`s a rush to try and get to see them. It can become quite tense, even violent sometimes.

6. Pharma drugs do not make you high. If you want to feel totally numb emotionally, I guess diazepam might help, but having to take psychiatric medicines is no fun at all.

7. You spend your entire days drooling on your shirt because of the drugs.