House Price Crash Forum

16,500 Finance Jobs To Go In Public Sector Cuts

HOLA441

The sharp knife cuts

Public sector accountants and finance staff will be hit hard by this year’s public spending cuts, according to research by international finance and accounting recruiter Ambition.

The company predicts that 16,500 of around 140,000 permanent finance employees will lose their jobs, with many unable to find jobs in the private sector.

The company’s predication is based on its research that 2.3% of public sector workers are accountants and finance, and the government’s plans to cut public spending by £6.2bn this year.

Tim Gilbert, UK managing director of Ambition, said the prospects for those who lose their jobs is bleak. “Banks and City institutions don’t want candidates with public sector backgrounds. They think they lack the cut and thrust attitude demanded by many of today’s businesses. Whether this perception is true or not, it’s an unfortunate reality.

“There will be candidates who have the commercial acumen and hunger to break into the private sector, and these individuals will be snapped up. But there shouldn’t be an expectation from the public that the nascent recovery in private businesses will accommodate the public sector fall-out.”

Oh well. More estate agents on the way then.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The sharp knife cuts

Oh well. More estate agents on the way then.

I am putting on garlic necklace then.

Fact is, there were 600,000 public sector jobs 'created' under 13 yrs of Labour. It is hard to imagine what quite such a number of new people in public service are doing. I am sure more Dr's and so forth is one thing, but we all know that far too much of it has turned up in jobs which you cannot describe without at least a 25 line advert, which leaves you wondering what they actually do.

I am sorry for anyone fearing for their job who is not used to it. We will all be disturbed by the changes coming. But I have worked in the public sector for a few years and also the private sector. Frankly the public sector is usually very inefficient and too much a can't do demarkation zone. Too many people talking about their rights and not enough about their responsibilities.

EA's will fear the new google way to sell for private sellers. It might catch on this time!

HOLA4412

Tim Gilbert, UK managing director of Ambition, said the prospects for those who lose their jobs is bleak. “Banks and City institutions don’t want candidates with public sector backgrounds. They think they lack the cut and thrust attitude demanded by many of today’s businesses. Whether this perception is true or not, it’s an unfortunate reality.

“There will be candidates who have the commercial acumen and hunger to break into the private sector, and these individuals will be snapped up. But there shouldn’t be an expectation from the public that the nascent recovery in private businesses will accommodate the public sector fall-out.”

Got to love the private sector arrogance.

Believe me the public sector clients I deal with are hundreds of times better at actually flipping paying their bills on time without a million queries or ridiculous attempts to shirk on payment / go bust and open up a few days later with creditors unpaid. If that is "cut and thrust" then give me the lazy public sector worker any day....

HOLA4413

Got to love the private sector arrogance.

Believe me the public sector clients I deal with are hundreds of times better at actually flipping paying their bills on time without a million queries or ridiculous attempts to shirk on payment / go bust and open up a few days later with creditors unpaid. If that is "cut and thrust" then give me the lazy public sector worker any day....

Yeah - it's easy to pay bills with someone elses credit card. A great ruler to measure optimums against.

Edited by Alan B'Stard MP