House Price Crash Forum

Land Conveyancing:

HOLA441

Hi, been reading HPC 4 or 5 years and never posted till now.

Am looking at buying small piece of land for hobby purposes and am struggling to find out who to use for the transaction or how to do myself(would prefer cheap company though) anyone got any advice on subject? thanks.

AREA: UK North England/Wales or possibly Scotland(has different sysytem)

PRICE: 10k to 40k

TYPE: woodland or mixed 1ha to 10ha

HOLA442

Am looking at buying small piece of land for hobby purposes and am struggling to find out who to use for the transaction or how to do myself(would prefer cheap company though) anyone got any advice on subject? thanks.

A solicitor or licensed conveyancer. The latter may have little or no experience of land transactions though. If you take a short cut, you could easily make a big mistake - ie rights of way, planning trouble in neigbouring land, other land based rights which are not disclosed to you by Vendor. It is caveat emptor and unles the right enquiries are made and questions asked the vendor can remain 'stum'.

HOLA443

A solicitor or licensed conveyancer. The latter may have little or no experience of land transactions though. If you take a short cut, you could easily make a big mistake - ie rights of way, planning trouble in neigbouring land, other land based rights which are not disclosed to you by Vendor. It is caveat emptor and unles the right enquiries are made and questions asked the vendor can remain 'stum'.

HOLA444

My advice. Never buy land without the benefit of a solicitor who deals in that type of transaction. Buying land can have many more pitfalls than a normal property purchase. Boundaries, clawbacks, Chancel Repair Liability, restrictive covenants are all things that need extra investigation when buying land. Not to mention Wayleaves, Rights of Way, etc. Most land has Entitlements under the RPA and you need to get hold of those if you can.

HOLA445

My advice. Never buy land without the benefit of a solicitor who deals in that type of transaction. Buying land can have many more pitfalls than a normal property purchase. Boundaries, clawbacks, Chancel Repair Liability, restrictive covenants are all things that need extra investigation when buying land. Not to mention Wayleaves, Rights of Way, etc. Most land has Entitlements under the RPA and you need to get hold of those if you can.

Invariably, most conveyancing 'factory farms' are unable to offer the depth of service to which you refer. Good quality advice is never cheap.

HOLA446

Invariably, most conveyancing 'factory farms' are unable to offer the depth of service to which you refer. Good quality advice is never cheap.

Absolutely sound advice. There are many pitfalls for the unwary and that includes lawyers AND estate agents if they are dealing with land and don't know their subject thoroughly. I have spoken to 2 EAs in the last 6 months about 2 properties with an AOC attached to them and in each case they didn't even know that they were attached and then they didn't know what they were.

Totally out of their depth. Not a subject to be frightened about but "Buy Brains" is the best advice I can give.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA447