House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AteMoose

Business That Provides Tesco Delivery To Northern France

Apparently due to the weak pound it is cheaper to buy food in tesco, load it all into a van and drive it to france. The business charges a about of 1 quid a tesco bag delivery charge, and means that expats and the french locals save money over going to there local french supermarket! The shopping is collected from a carpark

Apparently due to the weak pound it is cheaper to buy food in tesco, load it all into a van and drive it to france. The business charges a about of 1 quid a tesco bag delivery charge, and means that expats and the french locals save money over going to there local french supermarket! The shopping is collected from a carpark

Quality of French food is far superior to anything found in Tesco's. Often thought of doing it the other way!

Its Brits buying stuff they crave (junk food and poor quality processed rubbish) and things like curries they can't get over here. The deliveries come down as far as us here in the south. If you are paid in sterling (pensioners) then you save transaction costs by buying in sterling. We were at the local supermarket last week and a couple of vans from the UK were parked up in the car park. Some stuff like baked beans and PG Tips are cheaper to buy this way than buying here in the "ethnic foods" aisle :D

The carbon footprint is clearly not of any interest to the tossers that use this system :(

Guest Noodle

Its Brits buying stuff they crave (junk food and poor quality processed rubbish) and things like curries they can't get over here. The deliveries come down as far as us here in the south. If you are paid in sterling (pensioners) then you save transaction costs by buying in sterling. We were at the local supermarket last week and a couple of vans from the UK were parked up in the car park. Some stuff like baked beans and PG Tips are cheaper to buy this way than buying here in the "ethnic foods" aisle :D

The carbon footprint is clearly not of any interest to the tossers that use this system :(

Wish it was here!

A small jar of Branston is available here . . . it's close to £7!

There's a huge market in France for British food. Years back some frog mates came over and were desperate to get to Tesco. Baked Beans, Branston pickle, even frozen burger baps!

So we went down in my Mini and came out with all this stuff plus 100 bags of 10 jam doughnuts for free! Don't ask.

There was a French market set up here in West Yorkshire a few weeks ago (seems to travel around UK as I've seen it before).

Doubt the French would be interested in our junk! Time for another shopping expedition to France methinks.

Guest Noodle

There was a French market set up here in West Yorkshire a few weeks ago (seems to travel around UK as I've seen it before).

Doubt the French would be interested in our junk! Time for another shopping expedition to France methinks.

Not true! I was amazed.

Quality of French food is far superior to anything found in Tesco's. Often thought of doing it the other way!

Not true. Some things are good, some is of awful quality and most is pretty much the same. Although most categories of items are available, the shelf space dedicated to them varies from the UK. You will get a whole aisle dedicated to yoghurt but cannot find even a section of pies and pasties. Overall French supermarkets are more expensive. They tend to try to offer everything under one roof, but because they tend to be smaller they end up with less space and hence less choice of food. I know this because I live in France and have to live off what is sold here.

There has always been small scale businesses bringing over British products. Cans of baked beans are available in ethnic food sections but are super expensive. The main problem is that these businesses never seem to last long as the operator gets bored and moves on.

What is surprising is that people like Tesco do no offer direct delivery themselves, although I can understand how it may create a problem with fresh produce like meat. The British supermarkets are not present in France at all. This is surprising given that they offer cheaper prices. I assume it is down to protectionism. The likes of Lidl, Aldi, Netto etc, the discount stores, are here.

Forget all that visiting the village market for your food. That is a quaint old tradition but the markets are not frequent enough and are super expensive. Everyone drives down to the supermarket for their food, just like the UK.

There may be a misconception that the French supermarkets stock high quality low cost food, which may be true for some foodstuffs but not for others. Our supermarkets generally provide us with a huge choice at low cost; anything else can be purchased at the local grocers/butchers/fishmongers. In short, we are spoilt for choice.

Don't matter anyway, when oil is $200 this nonsense will stop.

Are you French or something?

This is complete rubbish.

The big Tescos are so far ahead of their French equivalents (i.e. supermarkets) that they're disappearing over the horizon. The main difference is that the food and wine is global, so the variety of things available is in another league. Try finding Thai or Indian ingredients in a Geant. The French are completely clueless about curries or anything spicy.

Granted, you can't compare the quality of fresh veg and meat in a rural French market with Tesco fare, but that's not a fair comparison, plus it costs about twice as much or even more.

Apparently due to the weak pound it is cheaper to buy food in tesco, load it all into a van and drive it to france.  The business charges a about of 1 quid a tesco bag delivery charge, and means that expats and the french locals save money over going to there local french supermarket! The shopping is collected from a carpark

Wonder if they'd deliver to Geneva for a bit more.

Brilliant idea.....

Guest X-QUORK

Wonder if they'd deliver to Geneva for a bit more.

Brilliant idea.....

What a depressing thought, the one British company everyone else wants a bit of is fecking Tescos.

This confirms to me that the human race is doomed.

What a depressing thought, the one British company everyone else wants a bit of is fecking Tescos.

:)

Trust me, you'd feel the same if you had to pay supermarket prices round here....

Guest Noodle

Our kid, every Saturday, "Daddy, bai Lotut".

Tesco Lotus.

. . . expensive too. Always packed on a weekend.

I find it much cheaper to live in France. Fresh fruit and veg when in season is much cheaper (perhaps less than half UK prices) from the many roadside stalls round here. We went back to the UK in 2007/8 and the thing that I found so hard to deal with was the utterly awful food. Fair enough the processed mass produced garbage is cheaper but who in their right mind would eat it? What kind of self respecting person buys frozen Yorkshire Pudding?

Guest Noodle

I find it much cheaper to live in France. Fresh fruit and veg when in season is much cheaper (perhaps less than half UK prices) from the many roadside stalls round here. We went back to the UK in 2007/8 and the thing that I found so hard to deal with was the utterly awful food. Fair enough the processed mass produced garbage is cheaper but who in their right mind would eat it? What kind of self respecting person buys frozen Yorkshire Pudding?

Worse still, frozen roast potatoes.

One thing to come out of this recession will the end of convenience suffering living.

Guest Noodle

Someone who hasn't figured out how to make it properly - I have to admit it took me a while to pull off a good one.

:D

Guest Noodle

God - I've had so many housemates that only eat Aunt Bessie's. I really don't get it since it takes ten mins to peel some spuds, 30 seconds to chuck them in a pot to boil for a bit and then another 30 seconds to drain them and stick them on a roasting tray - 11 minutes extra effort to end up with roast potatoes that are at least ten times nicer.

The trick is. Bulk buy fresh produce. Have a load of recipes for stuff you can divide up and freeze. Lots of tupperware type containers with lids that are microwave safe and just enough for 1 or 2 portions. A couple of very large stainless steel soup cooking pots. A small deep freeze.

Then spend a day or two a month bulk cooking and preparing your own frozen ready meals.

Guest Noodle

Wash your brain out with soap and water (or should that be me).

;)

Any sheep meat in France is going to be British we supply about a third of European consumption and Frtance is our biggest food and drink

export market, as well as breeding for meat and France cutting back on production and continuing milking.

French Lamb is probably British Lamb slaughtered over there.

Guest Noodle

You're preaching to the converted here - I usually have a load of pasta sauce and some sort of legume based soup in the freezer, along with other assorted stuff that I've cooked a lot of.

Would be good to have a home economics thread.

I'm going to sort of stick up for the british supermarket.

We always tend to stay in self-catering places on holiday so we have the option of cooking. I really enjoy cooking and like to try out new things - not always succesfully.

If you compare the quality of fresh produce from a French/Spanish/Thai market with the stuff available in a typical Tesco then of course it is better. However if you compare a French/Spanish/Australian supermarket with a Tesco I'd say Tesco was usually cheaper, with a much larger choice of produce and in most countires cases a much better choice of fresh produce.

Guest Noodle

I'm going to sort of stick up for the british supermarket.

We always tend to stay in self-catering places on holiday so we have the option of cooking. I really enjoy cooking and like to try out new things - not always succesfully.

If you compare the quality of fresh produce from a French/Spanish/Thai market with the stuff available in a typical Tesco then of course it is better. However if you compare a French/Spanish/Australian supermarket with a Tesco I'd say Tesco was usually cheaper, with a much larger choice of produce and in most countires cases a much better choice of fresh produce.

Unless you are somewhere posh, Thai markets are akin to compost heaps. Awful stuff. Best place to go here is Makro.

The trick is. Bulk buy fresh produce. Have a load of recipes for stuff you can divide up and freeze. Lots of tupperware type containers with lids that are microwave safe and just enough for 1 or 2 portions. A couple of very large stainless steel soup cooking pots. A small deep freeze.

Then spend a day or two a month bulk cooking and preparing your own frozen ready meals.

2 probs there, time and space

We're too busy running round doing stupid work to keep a small roof over our heads and then there's having the space to cook and store large quantities, doubly so if you are renting and have to make do with the appliances supplied.

Guest Noodle

2 probs there, time and space

We're too busy running round doing stupid work to keep a small roof over our heads and then there's having the space to cook and store large quantities, doubly so if you are renting and have to make do with the appliances supplied.

Not the case for many these days.