House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest mmm....beer

What's Up With The Whole Firefox Url Bar = Google Thing?

It used to be that if you typed something into the address bar in Firefox it would either do an "are you feeling lucky" search, or a proper google search. So if you typed wiki (search term) then it would take you straight to the wiki page in an "are you feeling lucky" type way and sometimes if you just put in the search term it would either take you to the most popular match for that term or to a google results page. The wiki (search term) still works but I'm no longer getting the google search results page - i.e. if it's happy enough that it's going to give me the site I want then it takes me to it but otherwise I get nothing. Is this something that only I'm experiencing and therefore should spend some time trying to figure out what has gone wrong or is it something to do with one of the recent updates of firefox?

For people who've never discovered this feature if you type say:

wiki hitler - it takes you to hitler's wikipedia page

tv.com house - takes you to the house page on tv.com

hmm - I was putting this as an example but found that: youtube charlie the unicorn takes me here - a proper google results page and if I just type in "charlie the unicorn" it takes me straight to a youtube video of charlie 1 (if anyone hasn't seen it you should really watch it).

I can't be bothered to retype the rest now that I've discovered that it does give you a google results page some of the time still - but can anyone tell me why it doesn't do this all the time?

dunno all the cool cats have moved to google chrome http://www.google.com/chrome

Yeah, I agree, Chrome for me too. Firefox, amongst other things, has become a resource hog; I miss my toolbar with autofill though.I've also recently discovered the delights of android on the Nexus One - superb. Leaves the competition standing even given the upcoming iPhone 4.

Is there an adblock add-on for chrome then? I consider that a non-negotiable browser feature.

Yes there is! And a flash blocker too! Great if you are browsing and get fed up of flash adverts soaking up your CPU. But there are a growing number of extensions and themes for Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/?hl=en

Only snag with Chrome is that the HPC editor doesn't like it. Hence why this post is being written using Firefox.

hmm - I was putting this as an example but found that: youtube charlie the unicorn takes me here - a proper google results page and if I just type in "charlie the unicorn" it takes me straight to a youtube video of charlie 1 (if anyone hasn't seen it you should really watch it).

"charlie the unicorn" takes me to a google search page, however I have google tool bar installed.

So it is working differently for us then? This confirms my idea that it used to do different things to what it does now since you're surely on a different version + operating system to me. Thank you for confirming that I am not as mad as I was worried I might be.

Yeh (virtualised) Linux Mint + Firefox 3.6.3 + Google Toolbar