House Price Crash Forum

Prypiat.

HOLA441

This is the city evacuated in 1986 when the Chernobyl plant exploded it was featured on a documentary a few months back which I think was repeated the other day. I really fancy visiting this place as it appears they do tours round it. Sounds really intertestng and, let's face it, where else in the world can you see a recently deserted entire city?

Wikipedia link

HOLA442
HOLA443

mate went last christmas time! He had a great time although it was very dodgy a couple of times (driving through the night in the middle of nowhere and children standing in the middle of the road miles from civilisation, seeing trucks with completely broken front windscreens driving past with cardboard where the glass should be, crazy people in the road walking in the middle of the night all the stuff you expect if you were in a horror film, bus crashes, not being able to drive as the car was sliding off the road etc etc). He drove from the uk (with another mate), stopping a couple of times along the way and then drove up from kiev. You need to find a company/guide and you will need to get permission in advance. I can give you my mates details if your interested in contacts?

If your going in winter have snow tyres, hide as much money as you can you will get stopped by the police and they will want paying.

He has some great pictures, they could get closer than normal to the reactor because the snow was reducing the radiation, oh and he even climbed onto the ferris wheel! (which is extra radioactive because thats where the choppeds were landing and taking off, but he didnt know it at the time). The guides are pretty relaxed about things, walking around in the snow but the manhole covers are missing or rusted away and the guides not mentioning it, no health and safety...

HOLA444

mate went last christmas time! He had a great time although it was very dodgy a couple of times. He drove from the uk (with another mate), stopping a couple of times along the way and then drove up from kiev. You need to find a company/guide and you will need to get permission in advance. I can give you my mates details if your interested in contacts?

If your going in winter have snow tyres, hide as much money as you can you will get stopped by the police and they will want paying.

Hmmm, in the space of four minutes I'm feeling put off. Actually, wouldn't bother me too much but wondering how I'd swing it with the other half.

Still quite fancy it though. Might PM you for details if I can pursuade the other half.

Edit; and now I've sem your edited post it's going to be even more difficult to convince her.

HOLA445

Hmmm, in the space of four minutes I'm feeling put off. Actually, wouldn't bother me too much but wondering how I'd swing it with the other half.

Still quite fancy it though. Might PM you for details if I can pursuade the other half.

Edit; and now I've sem your edited post it's going to be even more difficult to convince her.

Added a bit more to my post, which will scare you more. I would say yes if he goes again, it is a once in a lifetime experience, and you can do Auschwitz on the way down. Hopefully I will have the time to go with him next time, trying to persuade him that we should drive to moscow..

HOLA446

mate went last christmas time!  He had a great time although it was very dodgy a couple of times (driving through the night in the middle of nowhere and children standing in the middle of the road miles from civilisation, seeing trucks with completely broken front windscreens driving past with cardboard where the glass should be, crazy people in the road walking in the middle of the night all the stuff you expect if you were in a horror film, bus crashes, not being able to drive as the car was sliding off the road etc etc).  He drove from the uk (with another mate), stopping a couple of times along the way and then drove up from kiev.  You need to find a company/guide and you will need to get permission in advance.  I can give you my mates details if your interested in contacts?

Unsurprisingly that sounds like West Cumbria.

HOLA447
Guest sillybear2

Surprised it doesn't look like a jungle. Has it been looted?

Yup, they started arresting scrappers when radioactive metal was being robbed.

HOLA448

Added a bit more to my post, which will scare you more.  I would say yes if he goes again, it is a once in a lifetime experience, and you can do Auschwitz on the way down. Hopefully I will have the time to go with him next time, trying to persuade him that we should drive to moscow..

Shit, so that's loads of eastern-bloc wandering criminals, nuclear fall-out and the site of the biggest human slaughter in history. She'll be thrilled with that trip!

HOLA449
Guest sillybear2

Shit, so that's loads of eastern-bloc wandering criminals, nuclear fall-out and the site of the biggest human slaughter in history. She'll be thrilled with that trip!

Hardly.

HOLA4410

Well if you want a bit of culture check out the chruch at sedlec, its in the Czech Republic but it is pretty much on the way (although the roads from sedlec to kiev look a bit dodgy...

sedlecchandelier2.jpg

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest sillybear2

Okay, one of them.

To be honest there's hundreds of mining disasters that were worse, even ignoring the longterm affects of chronic bronchitis in millions of ex-miners.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

To be honest there's hundreds of mining disasters that were worse, even ignoring the longterm affects of chronic bronchitis in millions of ex-miners.

Okay, but by the use of the word "slaughter" I meant intentional deaths.

HOLA4415
Guest sillybear2

I think he was referring to Auschwitz and slaughter

So was I, but even in terms of industrial accidents sadly Chernobyl isn't that exceptional. Spectacular, yes, but in terms of loss of human life or damage to the environment, hardly exceptional.

If you wonder around slag heaps at the Drax coal fired power station with a geiger counter you will find readings far in excess of anything you will find outside of the Sizewell nuclear plants.

HOLA4416
Guest sillybear2

Okay, but by the use of the word "slaughter" I meant intentional deaths.

The technicians who were recklessly running ad-hoc experiments from the Chernobyl control room didn't fry themselves intentionally either, it was as inadvertent as every other accident in history. Just like Bhopal, or Buncefield.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/c/chernobyl/control_room.jpg

http://www.theglobalist.com/photo/Chernobyl/images/image1.jpg

http://blog.kievukraine.info/uploaded_images/3600-724134.jpg

HOLA4417

The technicians who were recklessly running ad-hoc experiments from the Chernobyl control room didn't fry themselves intentionally either, it was as inadvertent as every other accident in history. Just like Bhopal, or Buncefield.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/c/chernobyl/control_room.jpg

http://www.theglobalist.com/photo/Chernobyl/images/image1.jpg

http://blog.kievukraine.info/uploaded_images/3600-724134.jpg

Yes, but Nazi death camps don't count as "accidents".

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

let's face it, where else in the world can you see a recently deserted entire city?

Put an advert in Glasgow announcing free Buckfast now available in Dundee ?

HOLA4422

Archived