House Price Crash Forum

Govt Spends £17K On Wine In Last 6 Weeks

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442

I guess on the face of it, it does look a bit extravagant, but really this is a non story.

Firstly £17k is F*CK ALL, in the scheme of things.

Secondly what should we give to visiting leaders / diplomats, a can of Tizer, or a £2.99 bottle of Hock from Tesco ?

We really should be concentrating on the bigger stuff, and not let ourselves be diverted by silly stories like this.

HOLA443

This is the whole things about our government - absolute power corrupts absolutely. The tories/Libdems are no better than Labour in that respect.

At least you could make the argument that Labour fattened up the public sector too much. The tories just want to fatten themselves.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10357852.stm

Cheeky sods have the gall to claim they buy wines for functions when they are younger and cheaper - to save the taxpayer money!!!

This is a reasonable thing to do. Most of the Oxbridge Colleges do it, and you can get spectacular bottles of wine from their cellars at 1/10th of the market price (in some cases, but certainly well under market value once you have factored in general inflation) because that is the average replacement cost. If, as an institution you are holding important functions regularly, and a certainly quality of wine is expected, then cellaring makes perfect economic sense.

Of course, I'd much rather they had stale coffee and a variety pack of biscuits which seems to be adequate for most of the major decision making gatherings at most of the companies I've worked for.

Now that I think of it, don't you just get bread and water in prison?

HOLA447

This is a reasonable thing to do. Most of the Oxbridge Colleges do it, and you can get spectacular bottles of wine from their cellars at 1/10th of the market price (in some cases, but certainly well under market value once you have factored in general inflation) because that is the average replacement cost. If, as an institution you are holding important functions regularly, and a certainly quality of wine is expected, then cellaring makes perfect economic sense.

Of course, I'd much rather they had stale coffee and a variety pack of biscuits which seems to be adequate for most of the major decision making gatherings at most of the companies I've worked for.

Now that I think of it, don't you just get bread and water in prison?

Oh dear. That's another thread entirely - sky tv etc.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I guess on the face of it, it does look a bit extravagant, but really this is a non story.

Firstly £17k is F*CK ALL, in the scheme of things.

Secondly what should we give to visiting leaders / diplomats, a can of Tizer, or a £2.99 bottle of Hock from Tesco ?

We really should be concentrating on the bigger stuff, and not let ourselves be diverted by silly stories like this.

I actually don't have a problem with this...  may be its because being business development/sales type function I understand the value of entertaining.  I am sure it greases the wheels and £1m of wine across Government is not a lot.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

From time to time we see stories about City types spending £20K+ in one night in a bar, with £2K+ on a single bottle of wine. In that context, £17K for the whole Government over a six week period doesn't seem so high.

When entertaining senior diplomats, I would have thought that £50 to £100 a bottle for a decent wine would be about right. A couple of hundred bottles of wine doesn't seem excessive over six weeks.

HOLA4412

When entertaining senior diplomats, I would have thought that £50 to £100 a bottle for a decent wine would be about right. A couple of hundred bottles of wine doesn't seem excessive over six weeks.

Especially when this wine can be bought for £20 10 years before you want to drink it.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Did Labour drink the cellar dry as well as emptying the coffers. If the gold reserves are any indication GB probably sold off bottles of Petrus at 2 for £7

Wouldn't surprised if part of that £17K turned out to be paying off the 'slate' at the local offie.

HOLA4415

I'm no ConLib apologist or even a wine drinker but isn't this rather a non-story? A wine cellar of 39.5K bottles worth just shy of £800K comes to about £20/bottle by my reckoning - which doesn't seem overly extragant (especially when it includes spirits & liquers).

Even £650 on a single bottle could be money well spent if it helps smooth a negotiation worth millions - even if the Government aren't wine enthusiasts themselves (and a good number probably are) there's a strong likelihood a lot of their guests are. It would probably fly better to publicly auction off some of the more expensive vintages at regular intervals to help pay for restocking of the cheaper stuff though.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest absolutezero

Oh look. The hypocrites are out in force once again.

Had it been Labour doing this there would have been dummies spat out en masse and rattles thrown out of the pram.

As it is it's ok because it's the Tories. :rolleyes:

You could at least be consistent with your arguments.

Classic.

HOLA4418

Oh look. The hypocrites are out in force once again.

Had it been Labour doing this there would have been dummies spat out en masse and rattles thrown out of the pram.

As it is it's ok because it's the Tories. :rolleyes:

You could at least be consistent with your arguments.

Classic.

Erm Labour were doing it. What interests me is that the papers decided to publish this now the tories are in office.

HOLA4419
Guest absolutezero

Erm Labour were doing it. What interests me is that the papers decided to publish this now the tories are in office.

Perhaps because the Tories are going on about austerity and cuts whilst troughing it.

HOLA4420

Cheeky sods have the gall to claim they buy wines for functions when they are younger and cheaper - to save the taxpayer money!!!

I hope they are supporting British businesses.

Maybe they should ration the glasses to one, we require our leaders to think straight after all.... if they can drive home all the better, saves on the taxi bill paid by the tax payer. ;)

HOLA4421

A relative of mine was posted (I say that but he applied to go) from the civil service to Brussels a few years ago.

In addition to his salary and a free apartment (very nice 3 bed place for a single male) he received a £500 a year allowance for "suitable attire to be worn to functions"

Got to agree that the usual "typical Liebour wasting our money" comments seem to be lacking from our Tory friends.....

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Do we have any figures to compare this to? Im waiting to get mad, but i need to see it in context.

How many thousand pounds worth of lubricant did mandelsohn claim in the first six weeks of govt, for example.

From the Article 09-10 was 30% down on 08-09 and they make 2 or 3 buys each year

2010-2011 £17,698 ( x 3 = £53,094 ? or £56,463 would be 30% down on 2009-2010)

2009-2010 £80,662

2008-2009 £115,231

2007-2008 £137,000

HOLA4424

From the Article 09-10 was 30% down on 08-09 and they make 2 or 3 buys each year

2010-2011 £17,698 ( x 3 = £53,094 ? or £56,463 would be 30% down on 2009-2010)

2009-2010 £80,662

2008-2009 £115,231

2007-2008 £137,000

It's not worth worrying about....

HOLA4425

... may be its because being business development/sales type function I understand the value of entertaining.  I am sure it greases the wheels and £1m of wine across Government is not a lot.

Good luck with that tovarich. From now on no bugger is getting so much as a drop of Co-op cabernet or a stale bridie from me until this little lot is either clarified or struck out.

Seriously. It seems you can be done for taking a contact out for a meal, more or less.

Of course, for big corporations, it'll be business as usual, I expect.

Archived