House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star

Can You Rent Two Houses At The Same Time?!

Our LL has put our house on the market, he hasn't had any offers as yet and has issued another S21 giving us another 'safe' 2 months here.

Through the same LA we have found another house to rent in the next town, 2 miles away. We would much prefer to stay in this town however, there is nothing available to rent with more than 2beds and there's 5 of us. However we really like the new house and have told the LA we want to rent it but we also want to keep this place on as long as possible as we have to apply for our sons middle school in October and are worried that if we don't have an address in the catchment area (despite him already attending one of the feeder schools) that he may not get a place there. This has so happened at the wrong time.

The LA today told us that once the credit check is cleared, in order to proceed with the rental of the new place we HAVE to give notice to our current LL. I was just wondering if this is just something that they're saying as they know our situation and have probably pre-empted us using the new rental as a bit of a back up plan, or whether you just can't rent two houses by law?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Star

Our LL has put our house on the market, he hasn't had any offers as yet and has issued another S21 giving us another 'safe' 2 months here.

Through the same LA we have found another house to rent in the next town, 2 miles away. We would much prefer to stay in this town however, there is nothing available to rent with more than 2beds and there's 5 of us. However we really like the new house and have told the LA we want to rent it but we also want to keep this place on as long as possible as we have to apply for our sons middle school in October and are worried that if we don't have an address in the catchment area (despite him already attending one of the feeder schools) that he may not get a place there. This has so happened at the wrong time.

The LA today told us that once the credit check is cleared, in order to proceed with the rental of the new place we HAVE to give notice to our current LL. I was just wondering if this is just something that they're saying as they know our situation and have probably pre-empted us using the new rental as a bit of a back up plan, or whether you just can't rent two houses by law?

Star

I would always assume a letting agent is wrong/lying.

You can buy two houses, why on earth couldn't you rent two.

Normally when we have moved we rent our new property about a fortnight before giving up the other one. This makes the move easy - you can do a bit at a time. So I have, on a number of occasions, rented more than one property. The only reason I can see not to do this is the cost!

I would agree in principle with Dr Elk, and always assume any kind of letting agent or estate agent or similar is a liar. (Sometimes they are not but assume they are is the safest policy IMHO) Also I think it is fair to say that many agents do not actually know anything about the job they do. The last property we rented in the UK the letting agent made us wait to take over the property for a week later than we needed it as the inventory company were not available. When the bloke from said company turned up and I met with him he confirmed that they could (easily) have done the inventory a week earlier. The agent was a liar.

I would speak to your landlord directly and explain your situation. I am sure that as long as you agree to give a sufficient notice period, he won't care one way or the other.

As so many have said on this and other threads, agents are generally pretty dumb and evil. One of those qualities, you can deal with. But both together are a real pain.

I would always assume a letting agent is wrong/lying.

You can buy two houses, why on earth couldn't you rent two.

I expect the agent is just assuming the tenant doesn't want to go on paying rent on more than one place. Ordinarily that'd be right!

Star

You can rent two houses at the same time, but the new landlord could refuse to rent you a second home if for example he thinks you can't afford both.