House Price Crash Forum

Ear Wax Types

HOLA441
HOLA442

We're long overdue a poll on ear wax types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_wax

According to Wikipedia there are two distinct types. Grey and flakey or the wet and brown.

What's your type ?

Wet type.

Incidentally, my old man (English) used to have the dry type. I bought him a Far East style scooper thing but it was more like a spade. Was a great gift. Got one for my Sri Lankan mate too.

My old man used to use the long bit in a Bic pen cap to extract the stuff.

I guess cotton buds are useless if you have dry stuff.

btw did you know that earwax moves out of the ear in a spiral motion? Bizarre init.

HOLA443

I'm a twice a year syringer as I get clogged. When it's all done the nurse always say's "Do you wanna look?" and of course I always do. It's morbidly fascinating that that much wax was in my lughole. Massive clumps of it. The best phrase one of the nurses ever said was from her Grandad who said when he had his ears syringed of wax you "can hear the grass grow". You almost can; the clarity for the next few day's is something else.

Thankyou,

HOLA444

When I lived in Japan I had a real problem with ear wax melting in the hot summers and making me deaf.

Now back in the UK and no big problem. Sometimes check my hearing by rubbing finger and thumb together beside ear....if it sounds really loud I know it's OK.

HOLA445
HOLA446

When it's all done the nurse always say's "Do you wanna look?"

Next time say "you show me yours and I'll show you mine".

Make sure you've got an alternate practice line up first though.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm not sure that's something to draw too much attention to. Have you ever seen the cotton bud come out the other side ?

No never although I'm always surprised when I pull it out and i see the distance between my fingers and the end of the bud. I have a large head, Finding a helmet that fits has been difficult in the past! (when i've gone flying, carting, or racing, or put a builders helmet on)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Second sentence on this wiki page says that it's dangerous and ineffective.

Hmmm, well that's also true of wiki. It pulls out wax and nothing has gone wrong since it's been offered ?5 years so I won't push for withdrawing it just yet.

Archived