House Price Crash Forum

Tory Mps So Incompetent

HOLA441
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest Mrs Bradley

Well apparently so. They were from opposite schools of thought in the subject (no idea what either were about) and this had a damaging effect.

He's right potty.

Aye. We all need consistency in our boundaries as kids.

How the hell did they get together? They musta fought like cat and dog!ph34r.gif

HOLA443
Guest Noodle

Aye. We all need consistency in our boundaries as kids.

How the hell did they get together? They musta fought like cat and dog!ph34r.gif

Dunno, they were the famous Canadian psychiatrists, the Kennedy clan.

His brother's quite well adjusted.

HOLA444

There's this new trend in society that if you're caught thieving, scamming. defrauding or acting unethically in some way, you no longer say, 'Yeah, you got me, fair cop - I'm really ashamed and let you all down...' but instead bang on about how being found out has caused you and those around you 'great mental distress', turning the whole thing on its head and claiming victimhood.

Everyone from expense fiddling MPs, brainless ex-Royals, to bimbo-bedding footballers are at it...

These people weren't clinically depressed when they were engaged in their dodgy dealings, were they? They were the picture of mental health.

HOLA445

You have changed tack. The initial comment inferred that they could help doing what they did - ie committing suicide, NOT whether they had the right to end it all.

I agree that we should each be allowed to decide whether we live or die.

No I haven't. And I didn't go into rights.

People speak of rights. Ultimately, the law of the jungle applies.

HOLA446
Guest X-QUORK

I'm saying "hug a hoodie" because I think suicidals get too much sympathy. We already have enough people on the planet so what's wrong with a few who want to end it themselves? Besides, these people will be freed from their misery.

Oh dear. You've clearly still got a lot of life to experience Rolf.

HOLA447

I am not so sure about the rational thinking is lacking aspect. Then again I have never jumped in front of a train so I wouldn't know personally.

However the act in itself - is it not an act of rational thinking ? I will jump here, that big piece of metal is travelling at x miles per hour. It will hit me and I will die. Let's go. That takes thinking. That takes rational thinking. IMO.

Now I am sure people doing this may be in a seriously ******ed up state. However in such a state that they fail to understand the simple fact that the people standing beside them during this act - will also maybe affected ?

Mmmm....Not so sure. Maybe someone should ask this MP as he actually survived this. I would be interested to hear his views on the subject. Then again he is an MP so not really to be trusted too much...

HOLA448
Guest Skinty

OK let me expand.

All animals (humans included) are driven by our instincts. Instincs and emotions are almost one and the same thing.

Logic is something that humans have figured out for themselves. Logic rules over emotions. But humans hardly ever use logic.

Many people who think they are logical most of the time are not. They just use backwards rationalisation to make themselves think they were being logical.

Just ask any poker player or currency speculator. Some people make a career out of losing because they could never let go of their emotions and trust all to logic. And even those who succeed will still tell you it is a challenge.

We are all emotional/instinctive beings, suicidal people included. Perhaps their judgement is clouded more than most which I can understand. But they still have personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility is just as much a human concept as logic..

I'm not saying that people don't have social responsibility, but if they're dead then it doesn't really matter to them does it? Nor is the social responsibility going to mean much to someone in such a state.

You're correct about the backwards rationalisation after making an emotional decision, but I wouldn't say that logic rules emotion. Cognition and emotion complement each other. You also need emotions in order to act rationally for example.

Cognition opens up the range of possibilities available to an agent whereas emotions stem from evolved responses that tends to narrow the range. So take a rabbit for example that's just had a narrow escape from a swooping bird of prey. It's not going to start thinking rationally about the range of possibilities open to it. Nor is it going to be distracted by a nice lettuce leaf that it can see. There's no time. It will have an emotional urge to run as fast as possible back to its rabbit hole. It is an evolved response in this case that overrides whatever else may possibly distract the rabbit. Emotion can be defined as a significant change in neural activity.

With depression, a suffer is overly emotional. That is the nature of the illness. What this also means is that the person is less able to think rationally about the situation. The emotion of depression has more influence on the thoughts and actions of the sufferer than rational thought.

HOLA449
Guest Skinty

Well, their son is a friend of mine and frankly he's a complete mess. Proper train wreck, even in his 60's.

How does that happen? Would have thought he'd been well adjusted.

Cynics suggest that some people become interested in psychology because they are screwed up and want to understand themselves.

It might explain why many of the researchers performing research into artificial emotions are female.

HOLA4410
Guest Noodle

Cynics suggest that some people become interested in psychology because they are screwed up and want to understand themselves.

It might explain why many of the researchers performing research into artificial emotions are female.

When you're cynical, everything becomes clear.

Only bit of psychology I know.

HOLA4411

Oh dear. You've clearly still got a lot of life to experience Rolf.

Why? Because I'm not a lefty yet?

Unfortunately you pass that judgement knowing little about my personal life. Unfortunately (or fortunately for you), I can't share that either as I like to protect my privacy online and cannot elaborate.

HOLA4412
Guest anorthosite

Spot on!biggrin.gif You done much reading about Ingroups and Outgroups, Ano?

No, but the only millionaire I ever knew told me to that if I wanted to be successful, the first thing I should learn is how to overcome my pack instinct.

HOLA4413
Guest anorthosite

Why? Because I'm not a lefty yet?

You'd have a lot more credibility if you didn't call everyone that disagreed with you a lefty.

HOLA4414

You'd have a lot more credibility if you didn't call everyone that disagreed with you a lefty.

For starters, I don't seek credibility.

Secondly, I don't call everyone that disagrees with me a lefty. Mainly X-QUORK.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

When you're cynical, everything becomes clear.

Only bit of psychology I know.

An ancient tradition Mr Parry:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynicism  , but I don't recommend the tub.

HOLA4417

No, but the only millionaire I ever knew told me to that if I wanted to be successful, the first thing I should learn is how to overcome my pack instinct.

They all say that and often its untrue and a myth founded to sell books.

Few multi-millionaire bankers didn't follow the pack, they just joined the pack and tried to lead it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

OK let me expand.

All animals (humans included) are driven by our instincts. Instincs and emotions are almost one and the same thing.

No they aren't.

Logic is something that humans have figured out for themselves. Logic rules over emotions. But humans hardly ever use logic.

Humans almost ALWAYS use logic. I think you just assume anyone who does anything you don't understand or you disagree with isn't using logic. Humans are pretty much incapable of NOT using logic.

Many people who think they are logical most of the time are not. They just use backwards rationalisation to make themselves think they were being logical.

Correct <> Logic

Just ask any poker player or currency speculator. Some people make a career out of losing because they could never let go of their emotions and trust all to logic. And even those who succeed will still tell you it is a challenge.

That doesn't even make sense. Emotions are not the opposite of logic.

We are all emotional/instinctive beings, suicidal people included. Perhaps their judgement is clouded more than most which I can understand. But they still have personal responsibility.

I agree.

However, some people have their judgement clouded to the point where they no are longer capable of recognising cause and effect.

HOLA4420
Guest anorthosite

They all say that and often its untrue and a myth founded to sell books.

Few multi-millionaire bankers didn't follow the pack, they just joined the pack and tried to lead it.

He wasn't a banker. And he wasn't selling me anything, he was just a friend of a friend.

HOLA4421
Guest Skinty

Wow! It's almost an entire religion. Hmmmmm . . .

That's because if you're cynical you can make a lot of money from religion.

(was that cynical enough?)

HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

That's because if you're cynical you can make a lot of money from religion.

(was that cynical enough?)

I'm done with money. Simple life from now on, just me and me alone.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Yep would agree with that. We are told we have to have a 'point' in life. We have to 'make it'. We have to 'do something' with our lives. We have to 'understand' things.

Do we really ? Life is overcomplicated in far too many ways. As you say I don't think overcomplicating everything and striving to understand know everything is in any way natural.

Agree about the animal aspect. They just get on with it and don't drive themselves mental trying to work out every little thing. In this case I think that the 'sophisticated' way is possibly not the best way.

Good post ccc. It really doesn't pay to over-think, and the best way to avoid that for most people is to keep busy and do things. On the other hand, if you are prepared to meditate on it until you come out the other side, you will realise that nothing matters (read E Tolle for one man's journey).

This realisation can then go two ways - you lose all bearings and cease to function [in society]; or you realise that it is the same for everyone, we are all here together now and you need to be there for your significant others to offer mutual support and to share in the doing of things - their lives. If they have delusions of importance, meaning, significance - it is not your place to shatter them.

HOLA4425

Good post ccc. It really doesn't pay to over-think, and the best way to avoid that for most people is to keep busy and do things. On the other hand, if you are prepared to meditate on it until you come out the other side, you will realise that nothing matters (read E Tolle for one man's journey).

This realisation can then go two ways - you lose all bearings and cease to function [in society]; or you realise that it is the same for everyone, we are all here together now and you need to be there for your significant others to offer mutual support and to share in the doing of things - their lives. If they have delusions of importance, meaning, significance - it is not your place to shatter them.

Over thinking and analysing everything can drive a person crazy. I can get to this point, many many times. I suppose there can be signs & patterns in people's behaviour to suspect them that they might do something stupid, but you miss it at the time. There was this chap I had gone to school with, then college. He was a bit odd, but its only when you look back, that you realise certain things. This chap then went of to uni with another mate of mine, and he would apparently do strange things, such as punch brick walls, or even himself. I remember seeing this chap a week before he did himself in, and he seemed like his strange himself...The following week, he decided to gas himself in his garage using a pipe from his car exhaust. As far I know, he never sought help over his troubles. I wonder if his issues could ever be solved (a couple of us now, wonder if it was over his unemployment or not), or whether he had a deep malaise about everything. He never discussed it.

Some ppl just need to talk about their problems before they do something. Many don't - perhaps they don't want to be talked out of it, or perhaps they see their issues as trivial.

Some ppl just cannot cope with the burden of life. Life can be hard enough, without ppl saying you should do this, or that. They also put too much importance on materialism - always wanting the next blah (be it a bigger house, flashier car, newer, shitter phone, bigger, more important job) or whatever, and if they don't get it, then they see themselves as a failure. I've realised long ago, that none of this shite matters to me, but to a lot of ppl, it does.

Archived