House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

End Of The Booze Cruise.

The last time I was in France with the car (August 2008), my impression of the Channel port chav emporia was that there were still significant savings to be had on the really decent stuff (e.g. a bottle of really nice claret that would cost £20 or so in Blighty was £7-8 in Calais) but that, as the article says, there really wasn't any significant saving to be made if you were after industrial quantities of bogstandard lager and the mass-production hard stuff (Gordon's, Smirnoff etc.). I'm not surprised, therefore, that the chavs have evaporated.

As many point out on the comments on that article, wine is cheaper anyway in french supermarkets. You dont see the french buying wine in tesco etc. Its only worth bothering anyway if you are in france for a holiday.

The last time I was in France with the car (August 2008), my impression of the Channel port chav emporia was that there were still significant savings to be had on the really decent stuff (e.g. a bottle of really nice claret that would cost £20 or so in Blighty was £7-8 in Calais) but that, as the article says, there really wasn't any significant saving to be made if you were after industrial quantities of bogstandard lager and the mass-production hard stuff (Gordon's, Smirnoff etc.). I'm not surprised, therefore, that the chavs have evaporated.

Since then, prices in Sterling terms will have increased by about 25%, so by the time you factor in the cost of getting there, you are as well buying it locally.

After this coming Tuesday's hike in sin taxes (I suspect and hope they are off the scale) the booze cruise will most certainly be back on.

Buying drinks and food even when the euro was almost one for one has always imo been worthwhile if you go at the right time and pay the right price for the ferry....a couple of times we have stayed overnight in wimereux well worth it right on the sandy beach, nice little break.

Now we are in the EU I understand they can't now decide to restrict what we bring back....I hope not. ;)

the chavs have evaporated.

If only.

Instead they are loitering around the entrance to Asda, making me worry that I won't make it back to the car with my 18-24 bottles of £7-8 wine marked down to 3 for £10.

On the whole Chelt. & Glos. people get along well, outside Asda is the only place where I feel slightly predatory people are judging your clothes, car etc. and sizing up whether they can take enough off you to run the risk that you might turn out to be a psycho black belt or that they might get caught.

A friend of mine will only go there between 7&9 a.m. when the scumslime are still in bed.

Re OP, cheap beer & wine will soon be a thing of the past and we won't be able to revert to Calais because the govt. is going to suspend the right to bring cheap booze in as part of the austerity measures.

So fill yer boots at Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury while you can and then get some homebrew equipment. Actually its pretty good if you are diligent with quantities, temps & timings.

After this coming Tuesday's hike in sin taxes (I suspect and hope they are off the scale) the booze cruise will most certainly be back on.

No it won't.

Sorry, was mistaken its an EU directive not a UK one, but same effect:

http://www.yourashford.co.uk/kent-news/Ukip-leader-slams-change-to-booze-cruise-limits-newsinkent18217.aspx?news=local

No it won't.

Sorry, was mistaken its an EU directive not a UK one, but same effect:

http://www.yourashford.co.uk/kent-news/Ukip-leader-slams-change-to-booze-cruise-limits-newsinkent18217.aspx?news=local

I agree about the home brew...in the 80's the airing cupboard and near the boiler was full of demijohns...you could buy the kits in boots.Friends even trod their own grapes in an old bath to make wine with (import the grapes not the wine)...might be a good business idea for someone. ;)

http://www.dailymail...uit-Calais.html

'Three major British retailers are closing their premises in northern France, according to an industry report. It seems British shoppers no longer regard catching the ferry across the Channel to stock up on wine and beer as a cheap option.

The spending power of sterling against the euro has plunged by a quarter in just three years, and with many supermarkets in the UK offering cheap alcohol, the hypermarkets of North-West France are losing their bargain basement appeal.

The recent recession has exaggerated this trend, and alcohol retailers in Calais said business had been 'dead' in the lead-up to last Christmas, traditionally one of the busiest periods of the year. '

it died as it didn't live,with a whimper.

Nah - they all got greedy in the port areas!

If you drove to say lille or to towns just 20-30 miles sarf of Calais/port areas, the 'real' French prices for booze are for the taking - but you can't get some of the English branded-booze/less of a choice.

Further south you go cheaper/better quality wine, by the gallon!

(Away from the ports - you don't get the french Hoodies/illegals harrassing/hanging around the exits either!)

Edited by erranta

It's still worth going over for rolling tobacco. I buy a years supply at a time. Save 100's.

My poor old Irish brother in law got his car confiscated by HMRC bringing back a load of cigs for his wife (my sister) who smokes like a good un. No kiddin-he wasn't going to sell em but they wouldn't believe that it was just six months supply for her. Poor sod. Wasn't an old banger either from what I can gather.

Edited by tomwatkins