House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Tube And Bus Fares 'could Rise By 7%' In 2011

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10344858.stm

Tube and bus passengers could be hit by fare rises of more than 7% in 2011, the London Assembly has been told. Transport for London (TfL) told the assembly that high inflation is affecting its costs and some of that may need to be passed onto passengers. TfL confirmed it is likely to recommend to London's mayor that 2011 fares should rise by 2% above inflation.

Transport for London (TfL) told the assembly that high inflation is affecting its costs and some of that may need to be passed onto passengers.

This is unlikely to be passed onto many through wage increases so will hurt standard of living. Those that get free passes lucky them!

Even if unemployment rises (and passenger numbers fall ) I don't see this bearing down on prices through the demand side for these costs . If passenger numbers fall off a cliff they'll still suggest the rise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10344858.stm

This is unlikely to be passed onto many through wage increases so will hurt standard of living. Those that get free passes lucky them!

Even if unemployment rises (and passenger numbers fall ) I don't see this bearing down on prices through the demand side for these costs . If passenger numbers fall off a cliff they'll still suggest the rise.

In our town its £1.80 single no return discount the other option is you can buy an all day ticket for £3.80.

Needless to say there has been an explosion in walkers, cyclists and car drivers, whoops.

In our town its £1.80 single no return discount the other option is you can buy an all day ticket for £3.80.

Needless to say there has been an explosion in walkers, cyclists and car drivers, whoops.

Last time I used the bus it was pretty full, but I appeared to be the only person who had to pay to use it :angry:

Where I am we have a park your car and get the bus. Parking in the town is maybe 8 pounds a day (cheap I suppose compared to some towns) . If you get a bus after 9am it's packed with the oldies (after parking their new cars). Presumably they get a free pass as will not get on the 8.50 bus!

Transport for London (TfL) told the assembly that high inflation is affecting its costs and some of that may need to be passed onto passengers.

Could this have anything to do with the mega salaries they pay their management? TFL make the BBC look like paupers.

The cost of a bus ride return is a good periperi chicken burger, chips piled high and a drink, or 3-4 days home cooked food.... or just shy of 2 pints of good ale in Wetherspoons :).

Could this have anything to do with the mega salaries they pay their management? TFL make the BBC look like paupers.

I;m sure the rising cost of fuel hasn't helped them.

Everything is rising , people like realist bear are living in a delusion if they think deflation is going to occur.

Excellent news. It's not really practical to get taxis for long journeys across london due to the traffic, but when you get on the carriages are always crammed with poor people. They need to be priced off onto the buses so that important people with things to do can use the tube in comfort.

Last time I used the bus it was pretty full, but I appeared to be the only person who had to pay to use it :angry:

But when all those free riders have their bus passes taken away the bus companies will loose a huge chunk of revenue from the taxpayer. Surely this will result in a revenue shortfall for these companies, which will result in fares increasing furthur, or cuts in services, or more subsidies. Vicious circle.

But when all those free riders have their bus passes taken away the bus companies will loose a huge chunk of revenue from the taxpayer. Surely this will result in a revenue shortfall for these companies, which will result in fares increasing furthur, or cuts in services, or more subsidies. Vicious circle.

In our county there was a shortfall from central government, the council taxpayers ended up footing the bill.

I'm not totally against free bus passes they have positives, but I live up the 'posh-end' and it grates a bit to see some very well-heeled pensioners getting it for free.

In our county there was a shortfall from central government, the council taxpayers ended up footing the bill.

I'm not totally against free bus passes they have positives, but I live up the 'posh-end' and it grates a bit to see some very well-heeled pensioners getting it for free.

Although i have one i have only used it twice. But surely a token 50p or something woudnt be unacceptable each time it was used. It woudnt deter their use and they do help to keep some underused services viable for the bus companies.

Guest eight

Quite. I've stopped giving up my seat to old people for this very reason.

eight

Seen that too.

Had occasion to use the number 25 from Tottenham Court Road to the East end. I didn't see a single other person actually pay (swipe their Oyster card). Then, when a ticket inspector got on a few stops later, every single other person on the bus got off at that stop.

Much like the Lewis-Mogridge Postion and the Downs-Thomson Paradox...

TfL raised the fares by 20% in January already, b*****ds. It isn't uncommon for a day's travel in London to cost in excess of £10 if you set out before 9.30am.

The cost of a bus ride return is a good periperi chicken burger, chips piled high and a drink, or 3-4 days home cooked food.... or just shy of 2 pints of good ale in Wetherspoons :).

This the reason why I cycle or walk everywhere I can. Put simply I'd rather eat more than pay for the privilege of sitting in a cramped hot smelly tin box and you still need to eat. A pair of decent walking shoes will cost you less than £80 and last 3-4 years of everyday use if you are lucky.

London public transport costs are dirt cheap compared to the rest of the country when you consider the destinations available, distances travelled and the time taken.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/articles/1/6331/

Reading (Reading Transport Ltd) - Single: £1.70, All day: £3.20, Under 16s and under 19s with correct pass: £1.20 (£1.90 all day)

Rotherham (First Group) - Single: 70p-£3 depending on journey distance, All day: £3.50, Under 18s: 40p per journey

Brighton and Hove (Go-Ahead Group) - Single: £1.80 (£1.30 in city centre, and on many routes after 9am return journeys cost the same as a single), All day: £2.80, Under 14s and under 20s with correct pass: 90p (50p evenings and weekends)

Wolverhampton (National Express Group) - Single: £1.10-£1.50 depending on journey distance, All day: £3, Under 15s: 55p-75p depending on journey distance

Aberdeen (First Group) - Single: 70p-£2 depending on journey distance, All day: £4 (£3 on weekends and after 9.30am weekdays), Under 16s: 50p-£1.30 depending on journey distance

London (TfL) - Single: 90p with Oyster card, £2 without, All day: £3.50, Under 18s: Free with correct pass

*Extra discounts or free travel for very young children applies in every area

Edited by OnlyMe

Seen that too.

Had occasion to use the number 25 from Tottenham Court Road to the East end. I didn't see a single other person actually pay (swipe their Oyster card). Then, when a ticket inspector got on a few stops later, every single other person on the bus got off at that stop.

They call the 25 and the other bendy buses the free bus for this exact reason.

Edited by miko

Good, we need to force people off public transport and into their cars. This looks like that necessary first step.

Central London is probably one of the few places in the country where using a car to commute is to all intents and purposes logistically impossible (mainly because there's nowhere to park anywhere near your destination), which is one of the reasons they get away with fare hikes on this scale. I know two people who like me commute from York to Leeds, one of whom has switched from commuting by train to by car, citing the unreliability and cramped conditions of the trains; and another who has switched from the Yorkshire Coastliner bus to his car, concluding that recent bus fare hikes now mean that this method offers no significant saving.

Is that the real reason that they're being phased out?

Of course it is. It certainly isn't for anything as noble as H&S issues!

Central London is probably one of the few places in the country where using a car to commute is to all intents and purposes logistically impossible (mainly because there's nowhere to park anywhere near your destination)

I work in Holborn and there are parking spaces right outside. Good luck affording them though - 40p per 5 mins!!!!!!