House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Ravers May Rave Good Bye To Big London Nightclub

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jun/18/luminar-travel-leisure-crisis

Luminar, the nightclub group that has for years boasted it sold sexual chemistry rather than simply booze, is this summer facing a fight for survival as it struggles with heavy debts and a dwindling number of clubbers.

1276816646-3243991676_105b81419d.jpg

It boils down to the fact that people aren't going out as much as they used to," said Kate Hutchinson, London clubbing editor of the listings magazine Time Out. "Where people would go out three to four times a week or all weekend, they might now go out once."

Also http://www.thisisjersey.com/2010/06/09/islanders-london-clubs-in-administration/

Guest Noodle

Luminar, the nightclub group that has for years boasted it sold sexual chemistry rather than simply booze, is this summer facing a fight for survival as it struggles with heavy debts and a dwindling number of clubbers.

1276816646-3243991676_105b81419d.jpg

It boils down to the fact that people aren't going out as much as they used to," said Kate Hutchinson, London clubbing editor of the listings magazine Time Out. "Where people would go out three to four times a week or all weekend, they might now go out once."

Also http://www.thisisjersey.com/2010/06/09/islanders-london-clubs-in-administration/

It reminds me of a Laura Ashley shop.

I was thinking about some of the radical music we had when cloth cap gave way to Golf GTI (79-82) period.........i hope to see something like that again.

Mike

Fabric's been shit for years, still got an amazing sound system but it's been all about tourists and teen agers on pills spazzing out to drum and bass for a long time now.

That building must be worth a fair bit tho, it's absolutely massive and in a good central location; maybe just not as a club.

I was thinking about some of the radical music we had when cloth cap gave way to Golf GTI (79-82) period.........i hope to see something like that again.

Mike

I quite like that - the backing track is pretty good, with shades of trance. I'm not entirely sure about the bird 'singing' but I do find her strangely attractive :unsure::)

I'd be quite happy if this kind of thing came round again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avBTofQOU2c

I love disco, but am far too young to remember it first time round (no, I'm not gay ;) )

Aye, bit like The Sanctuary in Milton Keynes, and Bagleys Kings Cross. Great times ......

Cream, Gatecrasher, Feel, The Monastry, Home. At least Sankeys is still going, but it is sadly getting to the stage where people go to say they have been to Sankeys. Rather than go for the music, drugs, atmosphere, crowd and a smashing weekend out. <_<

Guest Noodle

Cream, Gatecrasher, Feel, The Monastry, Home. At least Sankeys is still going, but it is sadly getting to the stage where people go to say they have been to Sankeys. Rather than go for the music, drugs, atmosphere, crowd and a smashing weekend out. <_<

Is this mandatory? Some of us are feeling our age and then some.

Had some quality nights in Fabric in the past, but like all clubs it ends up shit or/and going bust. :(

Have to agree and celebrated a birthday in there about 5 years ago. Cracking night B)

I never liked Fabric. The place was like a meat freezer. And I really disliked those unisex toilets with bouncers by the wash basins; it felt really authoritarian.

Bagleys was alright, I suppose. Most London clubs and bars I've often found to be a bit cold and souless, and the super clubs never had the right vibe (that one in Leicester Square was horrendous).

The Blue Note was nice though, particularly upstairs. And I always liked The End, it had a great floor and always felt warm and cosy.

Guest theboltonfury

I never liked Fabric. The place was like a meat freezer. And I really disliked those unisex toilets with bouncers by the wash basins; it felt really authoritarian.

Bagleys was alright, I suppose. Most London clubs and bars I've often found to be a bit cold and souless, and the super clubs never had the right vibe (that one in Leicester Square was horrendous).

The Blue Note was nice though, particularly upstairs. And I always liked The End, it had a great floor and always felt warm and cosy.

The L Square one I think is The Hippodrome, which was just full of Japanese tourists when I went once. The End was a top night, and the bouncers would direct you to the club dealer as you walked in! Closing down now though.

I've been to The Aquarium on Old Street a few times, which I always thought was good too.

i was a child of Blackburn raves and all the north west illegal party's..then the gov got wise and allowed it into clubs....the end..... ;)

I used to sell them wine and Champagnewhen they first opened, not that they bought that much...It was mainly pills and bottled water! Had a couple of cracking nights there in 1999. Seems like a different world now! :angry:

Gosh HPC'ers that go clubbing. Never thought I'd see that in same sentence! :lol:

I guess I'm getting old; I had never ever heard of this "Fabric" place, even though I used to work in the area and went a few times for a drink or a meal in SOS next door B)