House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Windows 7 Windows

My dad's just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and I'm trying to show him how to use it. But I've not used Windows 7 before.

The main thing I don't get is how to open multiple IE windows.

In Vista and XP I just click several times on the icon in Quick Launch and several windows appear on the Taskbar and I can then switch between them.

But in Windows 7, however many times I click, there is just the one icon on the Taskbar.

right click on the icon on the task bar, if you like/use the application alot you can pin them there... If you hover your mouse over the icon all the windows are previewed

right click on the icon on the task bar, if you like/use the application alot you can pin them there... If you hover your mouse over the icon all the windows are previewed

so say I click the IE icon 5 times, presumably 5 IEs will open? and then when I hover I can see them all? and do I just click the one I want to move between them?

so say I click the IE icon 5 times, presumably 5 IEs will open? and then do I just click the one I want to move between them?

If you click on the start menu it will open multiple copies, and the icon will have 2 borders on the task bar. If you left click on the taskbar, or hover over the icon on the task bara little preview window opens and you can choose the one you want by clicking on it. If you always use the application right click on it on the task bar and pin it. When the application isnt running it doesnt have a border around it on the task bar. If you right click on the icon on the task bar a menu pops up which usefully contains all your recent docs/urls etc etc. If you want to start an application which isnt on your task bar the easiest thing to do is click on start and start typing the app name or document name..

It sounds confusing, but it is much easier and logical when you use it...

If you click on the start menu it will open multiple copies, and the icon will have 2 borders on the task bar.  If you left click on the taskbar, or hover over the icon on the task bara little preview window opens and you can choose the one you want by clicking on it.  If you always use the application right click on it on the task bar and pin it.  When the application isnt running it doesnt have a border around it on the task bar.  If you right click on the icon on the task bar a menu pops up which usefully contains all your recent docs/urls etc etc. If you want to start an application which isnt on your task bar the easiest thing to do is click on start and start typing the app name or document name..

excellent, thanks

I think part of the problem is I'm not used to laptops and things seem to happen which I've not asked to happen e.g. I'll be moving the cursor around the desktop using the trackpad and windows will open and close even though I've not clicked on anything. It seem if I hover for more than a split second it interprets that I've actually left clicked.

excellent, thanks

I think part of the problem is I'm not used to laptops and things seem to happen which I've not asked to happen e.g. I'll be moving the cursor around the desktop using the trackpad and windows will open and close even though I've not clicked on anything. It seem if I hover for more than a split second it interprets that I've actually left clicked.

Other handy things, if you drag a window to the left or the right side of the screen it will doc to the left or right side, really useful if your working with two things at the same time. If you shake the window your dragging it will hide all other windows:

There is also a tonne of new shortcuts that do stuff:

http://lifehacker.co...ows-7-shortcuts

http://www.blogsdna.com/2023/windows-7-keyboard-shortcuts-list.htm

Other handy things, if you drag a window to the left or the right side of the screen it will doc to the left or right side, really useful if your working with two things at the same time.  If you shake the window your dragging it will hide all other windows:

There is also a tonne of new shortcuts that do stuff:

http://lifehacker.co...ows-7-shortcuts

http://www.blogsdna.com/2023/windows-7-keyboard-shortcuts-list.htm

thanks, I'll check these out

do you have any thoughts about my laptop trackpad automaticity problem? Now I think about it when I've used laptops before I've had the same problem so maybe it's jsut the way trackpads work

thanks, I'll check these out

do you have any thoughts about my laptop trackpad automaticity problem? Now I think about it when I've used laptops before  I've had the same problem so maybe it's jsut the way trackpads work

er you use track pads by stroking them really lightly. Be very gentle, and stroke it repeat-ably, the your rubbing the bubbles out of two layers of plastic that are stuck together

er you use track pads by stroking them really lightly. Be very gentle, and stroke it repeat-ably, the your rubbing the bubbles out of two layers of plastic that are stuck together

I've just found out about somethign called "tapping". It appears that some touchpads have an option where if you tap the touhpad it deems it as a click. So this may be my problem - just need to find out how to turn it off

I've just found out about somethign called "tapping". It appears that some touchpads have an option where if you tap the touhpad it deems it as a click. So this may be my problem - just need to find out how to turn it off

Nahh just dont tap, just be gentle like your er stroking a woman, light as a feather... (until it needs a tapp, or a double tapp)

Nahh just dont tap, just be gentle like your er stroking a woman, light as a feather... (until it needs a tapp, or a double tapp)

good point