House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HPC001

Unemployed? You Need Not Apply Here

Out-of-work job applicants told unemployed need not apply

The last thing someone who is unemployed needs to be told is that they shouldn't even apply for the limited number of job openings that are available. But some companies and recruiters are doing just that.

Employment experts say they believe companies are increasingly interested only in applicants who already have a job.

"I think it is more prevalent than it used to be," said Rich Thompson, vice president of learning and performance for Adecco Group North America, the world's largest staffing firm. "I don't have hard numbers, but three out of the last four conversations I've had about openings, this requirement was brought up."

Some job postings include restrictions such as "unemployed candidates will not be considered" or "must be currently employed." Those explicit limitations have occasionally been removed from listings when an employer or recruiter is questioned by the media though.

Judy Conti, a lobbyist for the National Employment Law Project, said the practice is a bad one.

"Making that kind of automatic cut is senseless; you could be missing out on the best person of all," she said. "There are millions of people who are unemployed through no fault of their own. If an employer feels that the best qualified are the ones already working, they have no appreciation of the crisis we're in right now."

While this article is discussing recruitment in North America, it isn't uncommon to see the same kind of selection process happening here - it lowers a prospective employer's opinion of you if you have a gap in your work history. With the numbers of unemployed likely to rise it's only going to get more likely that it's explicitly stated...

My CV has a number of gaps on it and I've noted that it's always agencies that have been bothered by those gaps, especially when I answer back that "I was unemployed at that time". I don't what it is but that word just changes everything! At interviews (I've attended 7 in 10 years and secured a job from 5 of those) I'm asked the question, and I've answered truthfully...never has appeared to be an issue with an employer.

My CV has a number of gaps on it and I've noted that it's always agencies that have been bothered by those gaps, especially when I answer back that "I was unemployed at that time". I don't what it is but that word just changes everything! At interviews (I've attended 7 in 10 years and secured a job from 5 of those) I'm asked the question, and I've answered truthfully...never has appeared to be an issue with an employer.

Gaps are easy to hide on a CV - just list employment history with the date started at each company only.

Interesting approach...thanks for that!

I just put the years on - I dont add the months.. I do voluntary work as well, so even if I do a few days a month, its a good gap filler..