House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
okaycuckoo

Chat With A Housing Association Surveyor

He said his association is withdrawing from the mortgage rescue scheme because it's costing them money - too often they have to invest £10-20k to bring a place up to standards set by the local authority. He wasn't sure if other associations were finding the same problems.

Also: rents are 1% above LA housing benefit levels. I thought the tenants got a below-market deal. If that is the case then people who crashed on IO payments on their mortgages (£250 pm on a £175k mortgage not unusual) would have to afford bubbly rents (say £700 pm). Doesn't add up.

He said his association is withdrawing from the mortgage rescue scheme because it's costing them money - too often they have to invest £10-20k to bring a place up to standards set by the local authority. He wasn't sure if other associations were finding the same problems.

Also: rents are 1% above LA housing benefit levels. I thought the tenants got a below-market deal. If that is the case then people who crashed on IO payments on their mortgages (£250 pm on a £175k mortgage not unusual) would have to afford bubbly rents (say £700 pm). Doesn't add up.

housing assoc properties seemed good value where I am 10 years ago.

3 years ago I moved out of one into private rented because I could get better for cheaper that way.

housing assoc properties seemed good value where I am 10 years ago.

3 years ago I moved out of one into private rented because I could get better for cheaper that way.

I guess that's because housing association rents have increased with inflation every year, whereas private sector rents have remained pretty much the same.

I guess that's because housing association rents have increased with inflation every year, whereas private sector rents have remained pretty much the same.

The rents aren't so bad in Housing Association properties.

You just have to put up with Ms Next Door's boyfriends scraping their knuckles on the path as they visit,

clearing up the vomit on the pavement twice a week, wearing ear plugs for 80% of your home life and shopping

around to find an Insurance Company that will give you a reasonable premium on eight claims a year

for keyed paintwork.

(Prefer private myself. As if you didn't guess :)

I really don't get the whole housing association thing. It seems they're just BTL on a large scale and funded initially from the public purse.

If the stated aim is to provide affordable social housing why are they so desperate to raise rents to 'private' levels?

One of the Southampton area HA groups has 16,000+ properties on the books. Nobody builds a property portfolio that large out of the goodness of their hearts or with the welfare of tenants in mind.

What's the exit strategy?

I really don't get the whole housing association thing. It seems they're just BTL on a large scale and funded initially from the public purse.

If the stated aim is to provide affordable social housing why are they so desperate to raise rents to 'private' levels?

One of the Southampton area HA groups has 16,000+ properties on the books. Nobody builds a property portfolio that large out of the goodness of their hearts or with the welfare of tenants in mind.

Stamp up and down the taxpayer's spine.

I agree with you. I have never been able to get a handle on the operation of HAs and who benefits.

When they first started, they seemed to be set up by Estate Agents and Solicitors. Neither are professions known for their charitable inclinations.

Who are they accountable to? Who decides the management reward? Cui bono?

For one thing, maintenance costs are likely to be higher, remembering that there are standards that public sector rentals have to meet, unlike private sector housing.

Rents can be 100 - 150 quid a month cheaper than private rented, and as far as I'm aware, you only pay for 11 months of the year. You can get some good quality HA housing as well.

Some excellent HA properties around S.Wilts - recent build stuff all really well built, faced with the local stone, good gardens, fantastic rural location with great views.....and the rent (325pcm) is half the local going rate for private rental in the same area (£650-£750) for equilivent properties.

Me, I'd be well chuffed to get one of them at that price. However many of the tenants I know there just complain and complain about it - boiler servicing bloke turning up 13 months after the last service, not 12; not enough parking as they all have 3+ verhicles at each (2 bed) house; petty jealousy over who has the biggest garden; etc,etc, etc.